Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Claghorn
Claghorn began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
python3 plugins?

Fedora 31 appears to come with a python3 calibre: calibre-4.1.0-1.fc31.x86_64.

I can load plugins such as "modify epub", but they barf when I actually try to run them.

How many years is it likely to take for all plugins to be compatible with python 3?

Should calibre know about compatibility when searching for plugins? (Perhaps look in a different URL for compatible plugins).

Meanwhile, I've setup a fedora 30 virtual machine dedicated to running an older calibre where all the plugins work, so I can do any editing I need, then load the final version into my fedora 31 calibre (sigh). A pain, but it works.
Claghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My 15 plugins are as Python3 compatible as I can make them without ever testing them with a Py3 Calibre 4+ using Windows 10 1903. I am surprised you have a Linux one; Kovid has not released even an Alpha test version for Win10.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As always, if you see errors with a plugin, post the errors in the plugins thread. They are far more likely to get some attention that way.

Also, the general rule for Linux distributions included versions of calibre applies: If it doesn't work, get the official calibre distribution. Far to many distributions break things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
While calibre will compile under Python 3, as far as I know the effort to get it fully working in that environment is not yet complete. Use at your own risk. If you come across broken functionality report it on the calibre bug tracker.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know no calibre plugins are python 3 compatible. If you use plugins you should use the official calibre binaries, which still use python 2.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert