Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
kausar
kausar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch(4th Generation)
Kindle Touch 4th Generation does not render published font correctly

I am using Calibre to create an ebook in the Urdu language. The language is written from right to left. The whole book is in Unicode and uses UTF-8 encoding. If I open the book in TextEdit on Mac. Mac shows the book like this:

When using default Kindle fonts like Caecilia this is how it looks like

However, when I use the published font i.e. the TTF font I have embedded in the ebook. It doesn't join the characters the way it's supposed to for languages like Arabic/Urdu. It shows each letter individually and it looks like:

Am I missing something here or Kindle just can't use these embedded fonts correctly for non-latin languages?
kausar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kausar View Post
When using default Kindle fonts like Caecilia this is how it looks like [this].
That's the default Kindle Unicode fallback font, code2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kausar View Post
However, when I use the published font i.e. the TTF font I have embedded in the ebook.
That's a known limitation of the old MOBI/AZW3 format. You'll have to create a KFX file. If you have an older Kindle that doesn't support KFX files, you can jailbreak it, install the font hack and override code2000 with your favorite Urdu font.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This does not appear to be related to Calibre. Moved, therefore, to the “Kindle formats” forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
kausar
kausar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch(4th Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That's the default Kindle Unicode fallback font, code2000.

That's a known limitation of the old MOBI/AZW3 format. You'll have to create a KFX file. If you have an older Kindle that doesn't support KFX files, you can jailbreak it, install the font hack and override code2000 with your favorite Urdu font.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. I converted the ebook to KFX and everything seems to be working fine now.
kausar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, font, kindle, unicode