Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
LadyFaire
LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle keyboard/kindle for PC
Calibre no longer converts Kindle books?

I've been a happy Calibre user for years, and have steered many people in that direction. I particularly liked the fact that I was no longer limited to ONE device for my books. Amazon is so weird about ebooks that we BUY. I loved the feature that allowed me to import the books to Calibre and then I could group by genre or author or what-have-you.

My problem is this. My desktop computer died. OK, I got a new laptop and tried to set it up so that I could RE-download my books and I would have them again. Nope. First, Amazon no longer allows you to have Kindle for PC associated with a business account. You have to have a REGULAR account, and then link the business account, and you could 'share' the books within the family. Fine.

I get Kindle for PC installed and find out that I can't use Calibre with it, because it is the newest version of Kindle for PC and they are incompatible. Fine. I fix that. Now, I find that Calibre can no longer import and convert the Kindle ebooks. WHAT?? It worked on my desktop 3 days ago.

WHAT CHANGED??
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I think you need apprentice elf installed or what ever its called. maybe you for got when you got a new PC? I have not used mine in a while. I am going to buy a book and test it

Edit.... Mine is working fine I imported and converted 2 books

Last edited by HLS; 04-09-2018 at 09:50 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
LadyFaire
LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'LadyFaire knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Will look into that, and thank you.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think you have to have a particular version of Kindle for PC as well. The newer versions don't download the right file format for Calibre to work with (although that might have changed with the latest Alf's tools.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This thread might be helpful: Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think you have to have a particular version of Kindle for PC as well. The newer versions don't download the right file format for Calibre to work with (although that might have changed with the latest Alf's tools.)

If I read her post right I think she said she fixed that problem but you are correct
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
LadyFaire

I did that, and while it allows Calibre to work with Kindle for PC, it will NOT allow me to import books.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
LadyFaire

I don't have elf, and quite frankly, had never heard of it. I used the KFX disable line from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371. I suppose I can uninstall the kindle for PC and try to find an earlier version? I'm frustrated, I'm sorry. I lost so much when my computer died. I can think of MANY punishments for people who devise viruses, and none would be nasty enough.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
I don't have elf, and quite frankly, had never heard of it. I used the KFX disable line from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371. I suppose I can uninstall the kindle for PC and try to find an earlier version? I'm frustrated, I'm sorry. I lost so much when my computer died. I can think of MANY punishments for people who devise viruses, and none would be nasty enough.
Apprentice Alf is what you need (for DRM removal and being able to convert books). This time around back up your calibre library into a cloud at the very least. If you only rely on backups that you all store at home (or in the same physical location), you can still lose everything pretty easily even with duplicates or triplicates.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #10
LadyFaire

Thank you! That seems to have done the trick. I don't remember having to do that before. Of course, I barely remember my own name these days!

Thanks SO much! And, I'm writing all of my books to optical disks!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #11
LadyFaire

Well, back to the drawing board. It worked for SOME books, but gives the DRM error for everything else. Do I need to install an older version of Calibre? If so, where would I find it?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Mobileread guidelines do not permit us to help you with DRM removal. It sounds like a problem with your installation of Alf's tools. The successfully converted books probably did not have DRM. If you post over at Apprentice Alf's blog you will no doubt find the help you need. Rest assured it does still work. Please post back here and let us know how you got on.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It might help if you gave some sort of indication of what errors you are getting when you try. Since you seem to be the only one experiencing this issue it is probably something specific to your setup.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #14
LadyFaire

Apparently, I needed to change my default device with Amazon, resend all of the books to the new default, and add a serial number for the Kindle into the Calibre app. It is to all purposes, thus far, working. I do not understand the convoluted BS associated with the books that I PURCHASED. I could understand if they were rented/lent, as from a library, but I paid for these. Seems that as far as Amazon is concerned, they ARE simply 'rented'.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
that s correct - they are "rented", technically. but take the troubel to learn how to use the tools to convert them as a one off to unprotected books then you can safely burn copies to media or write to disk and they will work next time you change PC
the smart workflow is buy - download - immediately remove protection - save unprotecedd copies to archive(s) ... then you are safe no matter what amazon may do. even if you upset them badly enough to lose your account, those previous purchases .
are safely in your hands
I also convert the unprotected books to epub and safe that also, so you can use any make of e-reader
you may also be able to get a copy of your entire calibre library into dropbox, google drive etc for free, depends how big it is. i trimmed mine to under 2Gb so that I could do that, by taking a hard line on what I was realistically ever likely to want to read again this lifetime
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote