Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Transferring to ebook

Does anyone have a cost effective method for transferring a printed book to an ebook format? Not a company but a method that I would use myself.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Start typing.

With a digital camera and some setup, you could photograph the pages just as many photograph slides and photographs, but there's more than likely going to be a lot of page curve distortion on the edges, or you'll have to damage the book to get it flat enough that OCR might be able to work with it to get to text. If you've got a scanner you can go that route, but I'd be worried about damage trying to get it flat enough that it can convert into text again. Most scanners will just scan to PDF, but I hate PDF so forget I said that.

Out of curiosity, what book? I'm assuming that it's unavailable as an e-book because unless the book was very short, the time and effort involved would not be worth the cost, even at Canadian/Australian agency prices.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unless your time is worth nothing to you, you'd be a lot better off using a company such as http://1dollarscan.com/
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
[QUOTE=HarryT;2341391]Unless your time is worth nothing to you, you'd be a lot better off using a company such as http://1dollarscan.com/[/QUOTE]

The down side is that you lose your book, they cut it apart and scan and digitize it. Then the book is destroyed.

Not an option for most that love books.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
The down side is that you lose your book, they cut it apart and scan and digitize it. Then the book is destroyed.

Not an option for most that love books.
Unless, though, it's a rare book, you'd almost unquestionably still be a winner, financially, by buying a cheap 2nd-hand copy of the book from Amazon and having it delivered to 1dollarscan to be scanned and destroyed.
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
If you can stomach the web design that looks like it escaped from the 90s, you might take a look at http://www.diybookscanner.org/

There's software (some of it free) that will compensate for the curve of scanning a book that isn't flat (which lets you avoid breaking the spine), and they'll have tips on how to assemble the hardware to go with it.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless, though, it's a rare book, you'd almost unquestionably still be a winner, financially, by buying a cheap 2nd-hand copy of the book from Amazon and having it delivered to 1dollarscan to be scanned and destroyed.
Good Point!
I was working more on the line of having both the paper and e-book in ones library. At least those of us that have the space for the paper ones.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Start typing.

With a digital camera and some setup, you could photograph the pages just as many photograph slides and photographs, but there's more than likely going to be a lot of page curve distortion on the edges, or you'll have to damage the book to get it flat enough that OCR might be able to work with it to get to text.
Abby Finereader does a good job of sorting out the curves. I never open a book more than 90 degrees unless it's already falling to bits. But you do need a friend to press the camera button for you.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Has anyone here used 1dollarscan?

I have a few books I've wanted to convert, but I'd like to hear some trusted users' reviews.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Has anyone here used 1dollarscan?

I have a few books I've wanted to convert, but I'd like to hear some trusted users' reviews.
Try this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146177
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
To me it's curious that one can scan a paper book (their own copy, presumably) and turn it into an ebook and not breach copyright.

Why curious .... well with all the who har about copyright and ebooks I thought this also would have been outlawed.

So common sense prevails in some quarters of the ebook copyright discussion.

Of course, I'm presupposing this is the case irrespective of copyright status - that is in or out of copyright.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you have access to a scanner, and any cheap scanner will do, I have just a Canon pixma 3000, you can do it yourself. And I know for myself, I'm a lot pickier and have better results than if I farmed it out to someone else to do.

Plus there's the fun of learning to do it yourself.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Alright. Thanks!
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have some old PDF scans that I got from Google Books that I would live to OCR to text, they are just too hard to read as PDFs. I know there are websites where you can submit a PDF and get back text, but the OCR quality is very poor. Does anyone know any OCR websites that do a better job?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have some old PDF scans that I got from Google Books that I would live to OCR to text, they are just too hard to read as PDFs. I know there are websites where you can submit a PDF and get back text, but the OCR quality is very poor. Does anyone know any OCR websites that do a better job?
I'd suggest buying a copy of Abbyy Finereader - it does a superb job of OCR on PDFs. You can buy older versions of it at a very reasonable price. You don't need the very latest release (unless you want spell checking in VERY obscure languages ).