Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: When will there be a $50 e-ink reader?
2011 4 8.16%
2012 21 42.86%
2013 14 28.57%
2014 1 2.04%
2015+ 0 0%
Never 2 4.08%
E-ink will be obsolete as a technology before this happens. 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
How long before there is a $50 E-ink reader?

When do you think there will be a $50 entry level e-ink reader? I'm talking about list price, not sale price or price after rebates.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I think that the list prices of "current" models will hover around $100 for years to come, and that it will be the prices of "last year's models" that will sink to the $50 level.

I suppose that whether the manufacturers refer to the prices of the old models as new list prices or as sale prices doesn't matter.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I think that the real factor is how low the production cost of e-ink panels can drop with increase in volume and the maturing of the manufacturing process. At the moment, they are-- I assume-- still the most expensive component in an ebook reader. But I don't see any fundamental reason why they would always have to be much more expensive than LCD panels-- how much does an 6 inch LCD panel wholesale for? Five bucks? Less?

When we have $5.00 eink panels, we can have $50 readers.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Maybe the question should be when will there be a quality $50 e-ink reader?
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
How would you define "quality"?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would expect some sort of reader to be hovering close to the $50 mark by next holiday season. It probably won't be from one of the big boys though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Don't anybody throw anything at me because this is my opinion....but "quality" to me (in ereader world) is Kindle.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Don't anybody throw anything at me because this is my opinion....but "quality" to me (in ereader world) is Kindle.
He is just playing "technical" with.
In Engineering (specially industrial engineering which studies the production process).
Quality is not an "absolut" term, if not as "how close you get to the desired atributes of your product".
For example if I (Amazon) pretended a battery cicle of 720 hours (30 days); and my average kindle would last for 700 hours, then quality is 95%.

Quality is referred also as the relation between the resource and the atribute.
Example of an e-reader case: Sony PRS uses metal cases and kindle uses plastic ones.
Metal cases are more resistant but more expensive, while kindle ones are not as much as the Sony ones, but are cheaper (less expensive).

IMHO; Kindle is doing a good job, as its becoming the "Market Standard", that is, the one everyone uses as reference to compare (same as "Microsoft" with most software or OS for computers, or Firefox for internet browsers).
That being said, Kindle remains the basic needs and propierties an e-reader must have:
e-ink pearl screen
1 month battery last
PC connectivity: Wifi+USB

etc...
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wonder if eReaders will be like inkjet printers back in the day, when manufacturers were happy to give them away so you'd be buying ink cartridges for years to come. Seems to me that the money is in selling the content, not selling the device. So why not make the device as cheap as possible?
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Those cheap $100 ereader/tablets from drugstores ain't quality.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Totally agree!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
while this is true, my Pandigital novel (60 bucks) is my preferred and most used reader by far. I sleep in a room with a wife and baby and absolutely love using Aldiko (the 1.xx version) with grey text on a black background. Throws off very little light but very easy to read.

My sony e-ink is an orphan. I haven't read a book on it in months.

No way a clip on light or ear light would work half as well. Especially since I lay on my side most of the time.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I really don't see it happening. I think by the time that they get the production costs low enough, there will be a technology that comes along that will obsolete eInk. What is it? I have no idea. But, it will happen.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I could see it being next year some time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it will happen within a year.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote