Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #901
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Block Seventeen by Kimiko Guthrie is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Akiko “Jane” Thompson, a half-Japanese, half-Caucasian woman in her midthirties, is attempting to forge a quietly happy life in the Bay Area with her fiancé, Shiro. But after a bizarre car accident, things begin to unravel. An intruder ransacks their apartment but takes nothing, leaving behind only cryptic traces of his or her presence. Shiro, obsessed with government surveillance, risks their security in a plot to expose the misdeeds of his employer, the TSA. Jane’s mother has seemingly disappeared, her existence only apparent online. Jane wants to ignore these worrisome disturbances until a cry from the past robs her of all peace, forcing her to uncover a long-buried family secret.

As Jane searches for her mother, she confronts her family’s fraught history in America. She learns how they survived the incarceration of Japanese Americans, and how fear and humiliation can drive a person to commit desperate acts.

In melodic and suspenseful prose, Guthrie leads the reader to and from the past, through an unreliable present, and, inescapably, toward a shocking revelation. Block Seventeen, at times charming and light, at others disturbing and disorienting, explores how fear of the “other” continues to shape our supposedly more enlightened times.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #902
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
If you missed it before, The Nonexistent Knight by Italo Calvino is again $1.99

https://smile.amazon.com/Nonexistent...s%2C157&sr=1-1
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #903
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Caribbean, by James A. Michener, is $2.99 at Kindle US. I remember reading and really enjoying this on a plane trip to (of course) the Caribbean, although a lot of it was depressing, since a lot of the history of the Caribbean isn't very pretty, especially for the indigenous peoples. I also remember liking the notes in which Michener clarifies who/what was historical, and who/what was fictional. This was the first book that I remember reading that had historical notes (even though they are pretty brief), and now I get really irritated when I read a historical novel that doesn't have them.

Anyway, I've been watching for Caribbean to go on sale for a long time, so I'm really happy to see this price drop.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Caribbean-Nov...dp/B00FO60AZA/
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/Caribbean-N...dp/B00FO60AZA/

Spoiler:
Quote:
In this acclaimed classic novel, James A. Michener sweeps readers off to the Caribbean, bringing to life the eternal allure and tumultuous history of this glittering string of islands. From the 1310 conquest of the Arawaks by cannibals to the decline of the Mayan empire, from Columbus’s arrival to buccaneer Henry Morgan’s notorious reign, from the bloody slave revolt on Haiti to the rise of Cuba’s Fidel Castro, Caribbean packs seven hundred dramatic years into a tale teeming with revolution and romance, authentic characters and thunderous destinies. Through absorbing, magnificent prose, Michener captures the essence of the islands in all of their awe-inspiring scope and wonder.

BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from James A. Michener's Hawaii.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #904
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett is $2.99 at Amazon US.

I read this one a few years back and loved it. An interesting examination of The Stockholm Syndrome.

There was a movie a little while ago. I enjoyed it as well. But as usual, the book is much better.

Quote:
Ann Patchett’s award winning, bestselling novel that balances themes of love and crisis as disparate characters learn that music is their only common language—now a major motion picture starring Julianne Moore and Ken Watanabe.

Somewhere in South America, at the home of the country's vice president, a lavish birthday party is being held in honor of the powerful businessman Mr. Hosokawa. Roxanne Coss, opera's most revered soprano, has mesmerized the international guests with her singing.

It is a perfect evening—until a band of gun-wielding terrorists takes the entire party hostage. But what begins as a panicked, life-threatening scenario slowly evolves into something quite different, a moment of great beauty, as terrorists and hostages forge unexpected bonds and people from different continents become compatriots, intimate friends, and lovers.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #905
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Horseman, Pass By by Larry McMurtry is $2.99 at Amazon US.

This is Larry McMurtry's first novel and was filmed as the Paul Newman movie Hud.

I've read McMurtry's Last Picture Show and Lonesome Dove and highly recommend him.

Quote:
A stunning literary debut, Horseman, Pass By (1961) exhibits the “full-blooded Western genius” (Publishers Weekly) that would come to define McMurtry’s incomparable sensibility. In the dusty north Texas town of Thalia, young Lonnie Bannon quietly endures the pangs of maturity as a persistent rivalry between his grandfather and step-uncle, Hud, festers, and a deadly disease spreads among their cattle like wildfire.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #906
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took a university extension course on doing business with/in Mexico a while back, and the instructor (excellent instructor, his wife was a deputy consul at the local Mexican consulate) assigned The Old Gringo by Carlos Fuentes as one of the "textbooks" for us to read. I really enjoyed both the book and the understanding I gained.

I've had an eReaderIQ author search on Fuentes ever since, and now another book of his, The Death of Artemio Cruz, has dropped to $2.99 at Kindle and Kobo US. I haven't read this one, but it sounds pretty interesting, and given how much I liked The Old Gringo, I'm going to get it, and put it fairly high on my TBR list.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQMKDAI/
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQMKDAI/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...f-artemio-cruz

Spoiler:
Quote:
As the novel opens, Artemio Cruz, the all-powerful newspaper magnate and land baron, lies confined to his bed and, in dreamlike flashes, recalls the pivotal episodes of his life. Carlos Fuentes manipulates the ensuing kaleidoscope of images with dazzling inventiveness, layering memory upon memory, from Cruz's heroic campaigns during the Mexican Revolution, through his relentless climb from poverty to wealth, to his uneasy death. Perhaps Fuentes's masterpiece, The Death of Artemio Cruz is a haunting voyage into the soul of modern Mexico.

Last edited by sufue; 10-05-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #907
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Horseman, Pass By by Larry McMurtry is $2.99 at Amazon US.

This is Larry McMurtry's first novel and was filmed as the Paul Newman movie Hud.

I've read McMurtry's Last Picture Show and Lonesome Dove and highly recommend him.
Lonesome Dove is a longtime favorite I revisit every few years. Oddly, I've never sampled his other work.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #908
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Lonesome Dove is a longtime favorite I revisit every few years. Oddly, I've never sampled his other work.
For me it's a bit hit or miss. The Last Kind Words Saloon started out great but towards the end became dull, or something. By Sorrow's River, if I'm remembering it correctly, I enjoyed. I read some in the Houston series and did not like them. Likewise for the Harmony and Pepper series; did not like.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #909
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Today's Big Deal at Amazon UK is the five books by James Herriot, tales of a Yorkshire Vet. for £0.99 each.

James Herriot deal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #910
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Hawaii, by James A. Michener, is $1.99 at Kindle US as part of today's Daily Deal,
*Bangs head against wall*

Must not have been in UK because I do have it on ereaderiq.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #911
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Michael Jecks The Last Templar series is on special at Amazon and Kobo.
Book 1 is .99
All the rest are $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086SQMQ8Z...aps_series_rwt
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/search?qu...9-5a011acfec44
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #912
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Traitors of Rome is the 18th and most recent (2019) title in Simon Scarrow's Cato and Macro/Eagles series, at least until the next one comes out next month. It has dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK as part of today's Daily Deal.

I've loved this series, starting with back when it was more of a historical mystery series set in a military setting, right up to now, when it seems to me more like a military/political historical series, with the dead bodies more related to the military/political goings-on than to classic mystery themes. But even though I'm mostly a mystery fan, I still love this series. And I have very fond memories of reading the early ones to my son, who was a huge military history buff from a young age, and being happy that I found a series we both liked!

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L98NSMP/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L98NSMP/

Spoiler:
Quote:
TRAITORS OF ROME: THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

An enthralling Cato and Macro adventure in Simon Scarrow's bestselling Eagles of the Empire series. Not to be missed by readers of Conn Iggulden and Bernard Cornwell.

AD 56. Battle-hardened veterans of the Roman army Tribune Cato and Centurion Macro are garrisoned at the eastern border, aware that their movements are constantly monitored by spies from dangerous, mysterious Parthia. But the enemy within could be the deadliest threat to the Legion ... and the Empire.

There's a traitor in the ranks. Rome shows no mercy to those who betray their comrades, and the Empire. But first the guilty man must be discovered. Cato and Macro are in a race against time to expose the truth, while the powerful enemy over the border waits to exploit any weaknesses in the Legion. The traitor must die ...

Last edited by sufue; 10-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #913
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Traitors of Rome is the 18th and most recent (2019) title in Simon Scarrow's Cato and Macro/Eagles series, at least until the next one comes out next month. It has dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK as part of today's Daily Deal.

I've loved this series, starting with back when it was more of a historical mystery series set in a military setting, right up to now, when it seems to me more like a military/political historical series, with the dead bodies more related to the military/political goings-on than to classic mystery themes. But even though I'm mostly a mystery fan, I still love this series. And I have very fond memories of reading the early ones to my son, who was a huge military history buff from a young age, and being happy that I found a series we both liked!

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L98NSMP/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L98NSMP/
It's $4.99 at Amazon and Kobo!
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=traitors+...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/tra...he-empire-18-1
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #914
Tarana
Wizard

I don't know this author, but the series sounds intriguing. Rise of Sigurd series by Giles Kristian. First two books of series are $.99 at Amazon. Historical fiction featuring Vikings!

God of Vengeance
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks

Winter's Fire
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks
Old 10-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #915
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I just got an email from Delphi...in honor of Halloween, they are offering their Monsters: A Delphi Anthology for free right now.

Here's the text from the email:

Quote:
New Free eBook!

Dear customer,

Staying in this Hallowe'en 2020? Then download our new eBook Monsters: A Delphi Anthology and immerse yourself in the terrifying world of fantastic beasts and terrible creatures. Our new eBook charts the conventions, origins and development of this chilling horror sub-genre over three millennia. The eBook is free for all of our customers - order your free copy here... if you dare!

Special Offer: Horror and Thriller eBooks Half Price!

To celebrate the release of our Monster eBook, we are offering 50% off Horror and Thriller titles (excl. Parts Editions) over the Hallowe'en weekend. There is no coupon required, just start adding eBooks to your shopping cart. Browse our most popular horror and thriller eBooks here.

Offer expires Midnight 02/11/2020 GMT
The expiration date of 02/11/2020 is a bit puzzling - perhaps this was copied over from an email for Valentine's Day ???

And here are the links:

Free book: https://delphiclassics.us12.list-man...4&e=f362d76207

Browse horror/thriller titles: https://www.delphiclassics.com/produ...eid=f362d76207

Most popular horror/thriller titles: https://www.delphiclassics.com/produ...eid=f362d76207

Also, while checking to see if anyone else had posted this, I found a post in the Horror thread about a similar collection, posted as free on Oct 31, 2018. That collection, the Delphi Collection of Ghost Stories, is still free as of right now. Info in @svenlind's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3767600