Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
kunkel321
Enthusiast
kunkel321 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire 10
How to I copy all settings, but not books?

Hi There, I have Calibre installed on one PC. It has my custom categories, icons, plugins, etc. On a second PC I have Calibre Portable. It's a work computer with a tiny hard drive and I don't have admin privileges. I want to copy all of my customizations over, but not over-write the 20 or so books that are already on my work computer. Is there a way export or "copy" all the settings and such, but not copy over the books?
kunkel321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
kunkel321
Enthusiast
kunkel321 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire 10
Actually this might be moot anyway... My whole trip was to sync the new work laptop with CalibreCompanion. It appears that I won't be able to do that because the laptop is locked up so tight.

Amazingly, I've tried everything I can think of to get a few PDF books from the laptop to to my new Fire 10 tablet and can't seem to. I guess I"ll save that discussion for the other sub-forum though. :- /
kunkel321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are actually 2 setting areas:
1) is the configuration folder %apdata%\Roaming\calibre. This is YOUR preferences on view, devices and plugins...

2)Is part of th metadata.db, which is how that Library is configured
To make a blank Library that mimics the existing one:
right click the Library Icon: Create Library: Create EMPTY LIBRARY:Tick Copy Structure from the current Library.
This copies EVERYTHING you set about that Library into the db. Just copy the WHOLE folder that has the db to the new machine. then you can switch to it.

How locked down? Could you run Calibre Portable from a USB drive/stick? (Caution: do not violate company security policies that could result in termination or jail.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote