Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2024, 09:19 PM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre opening automatically when a USB device is plugged in

I have an issue right now, and I searched here and in the FAQ.

I use a second monitor with my laptop sometimes, and lately, when I plug it into my laptop, Calibre opens. The problem is, it's frozen at a white screen, and the only way to close it is to go into Task Manager and end program.

I can solve it by not having Calibre run when I restart my computer and then completely close it even in the background after I use it (I assume), but I don't want to have to do that.

So is it a setting that I'm missing somewhere that makes it open when a USB device is plugged in, or something else?

Sorry if I missed something in my search of the forum, but help please! LOL TIA!
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which operating system and calibre version.

Does it happen with any USB device, e.g. a thumb drive or only with a USB attached monitor?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 11:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not have any settings or features that cause it to open itself. This will be coming from somewhere else in your system.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:58 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid - I read the OP's post as saying calibre is started at boot time, probably shown in the tray, and then they attach a second monitor via a USB… and that's when the 'white screen shows'.

I see Task Manager is mentioned - so probably Windows.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:00 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
When you open Control Panel => Autoplay, what does it show? If there is a checkmark in Use Autoplay for all media and devices remove it, then go down the list of media, software and devices and set all the action boxes to take no action.

Then plugin your monitor and see if it opens calibre. If it doesn't, you can try re-enabling autoplay options if you want to. If it does, then check if a new device shows under devices and set it to take no action.

Otherwise, it's not an Autoplay action and it'll likely be real fun to track down.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2024, 05:45 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though autoplay and autorun proved by Amiga (Floppy autorun virus) to be stupid before MS added it to Win95. I've been disabling those in every OS ever since.

Also only start a minimum at boot. UNIX/Linux had the ability since forever to "remember" running programs on next log in. Like adding stuff to MS Start up it's a recipe for eventual disaster. I've never found the need to automatically load programs in Windows startup and I always deleted things that added there on install.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-31-2024 at 05:49 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:02 PM   #7
jenrar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which operating system and calibre version.

Does it happen with any USB device, e.g. a thumb drive or only with a USB attached monitor?

BR

Sorry, I didn't get a notice that I had replies. Weird.

Both the latest versions of Windows & Calibre.

And I've only tried the monitor, aside from my Cricut machine.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:03 PM   #8
jenrar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not have any settings or features that cause it to open itself. This will be coming from somewhere else in your system.
Hmm. Weird.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:10 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Make sure Calibre is not loaded at boot/log in and is not in your task tray.
Ensure nothing is running or in task tray that uses the 2nd USB screen before disconnecting it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:16 PM   #10
jenrar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you open Control Panel => Autoplay, what does it show? If there is a checkmark in Use Autoplay for all media and devices remove it, then go down the list of media, software and devices and set all the action boxes to take no action.

Then plugin your monitor and see if it opens calibre. If it doesn't, you can try re-enabling autoplay options if you want to. If it does, then check if a new device shows under devices and set it to take no action.

Otherwise, it's not an Autoplay action and it'll likely be real fun to track down.

Okay, so I've tried that, and it didn't open. I'll keep any Autoplay off for a while and see. Thank you!

Tags
usb connection, usb issues