Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
morinew
morinew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
[SOLVED] Disable connectivity check / connect to "island" WiFi

Hi,

I've been hanging around on this forum for a while, but didn't register an account until now. There seems to be a great bunch of knowledgeable people here - perhaps someone has had the same issue as me.

I'm trying to connect my (rooted, serialport-ed, etc.) PW2 to a Raspberry Pi acting as a WiFi hotspot.

I use the Pi for storage (mounted as a network drive on the PW2) and sensor data acquisition (GPS etc. connected to the Pi's USB ports).

However, this doesn't work unless I make the Pi do NAT to an Internet connection through its ethernet port. I want my setup to work when the Pi is acting as a WiFi hotspot, but without an Internet connection behind it.

The PW2 does some sort of connectivity check, since I get an error message when my Pi hotspot lacks a route to the 'net:

"Connection Failed: Your Kindle connected to the Wi-Fi network but could not reach the Internet. Contact your Internet Service Provider for further assistance."

The Kindle remains connected to the WiFi until I acknowledge the error message by touching the only button in the popup, frustratingly labeled "Cancel", at which point it disconnects.

Can anyone give me a hint at where and how this connectivity check is done, and how to disable it?

Last edited by morinew; 07-01-2015 at 10:56 AM.
morinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Create an empty file in the userstore with the filename:
Code:
[userstore]/WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
morinew
morinew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks, worked like a charm.

For future reference, here's The Easy Way™ (commands run as root, through serial console / SSH / terminal app (kterm)):

Code:
# touch /mnt/us/WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE
# restart wifid
Also, a quick 'grep' revealed where the magic is happening: /etc/upstart/wifid.conf

Thanks again.
morinew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connection failed, connectivity check, island wifi