Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
kogi
kogi began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
[SOLVED]- Unable to get jailbreak/kindlets to work

[SOLVED]

Kindle with 9060 serial PW2 or PW2GBL? 4mb?

Stock firmware 5.4.3.2

Installed kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip - Screen does show ***jailbreak***

Install KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 , kual helper, Collections Manager 2.8.1

When trying to start KUAL or collections manager. I get the following error

"Application Error" The selected application could not be started

Not sure where to go from here to troubleshoot

tia
kogi

Last edited by kogi; 12-04-2015 at 10:17 PM.
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogi View Post
Kindle with 9060 serial PW2 or PW2GBL? 4mb?

Stock firmware 5.4.3.2

Installed kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N.zip - Screen does show ***jailbreak***

Install KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 , kual helper, Collections Manager 2.8.1

When trying to start KUAL or collections manager. I get the following error

"Application Error" The selected application could not be started

Not sure where to go from here to troubleshoot

tia
kogi
Hmm....
There is something missing in that story.

Go to the first post of the K5 jailbreak thread -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Scroll down to the section: "Install" - sub-section "Jailbreak" -
Open spoiler, read directions, try them again -

If that doesn't fix it, try opening the spoiler under the section: "FAQs" and reading that section.

In any case, report back what you did and what was the result.

Last edited by knc1; 12-04-2015 at 02:47 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
kogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Scroll down to the section: "Install" - sub-section "Jailbreak" -
I have and it does show the words **** JAILBREAK **** after I jailbreak.

Reading under the KUAL thread

Quote:
Non-Japanese 4GB PW2 models won't run Kindlets at all [you'll get a "The selected application cannot be started. Please try again later" popup], unless updated to 5.4.5 or newer (make sure you're JailBroken before updating).
Does that mean I have to upgrade to 5.4.5 now? Will collections still work with 5.4.5?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have and it does show the words **** JAILBREAK **** after I jailbreak.

Reading under the KUAL thread

Does that mean I have to upgrade to 5.4.5 now? Will collections still work with 5.4.5?
Alright, since you seem to have missed it (again) -
Try restarting your device.
Its an important step of getting MKK to work.

For a non-Japanse 4Gbyte, PW-2 the answer is:
You will probably have to stop using the firmware version currently installed if a simple restart does not make MKK work.

Do not upgrade/downgrade or buy a different model e-reader just yet.
Lots of information in this decision guide:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=6

Translation: you might want to downgrade to 5.4.0
But IIRC, that will only work on the 2Gbyte models, on the 4Gbyte models, an upgrade is your only choice.

The "References" section at the foot of the page has some useful links, such as how to get an old update file from the Amazon server.

Be certain to get the jailbreak package from NiLuJe's Snapshots thread (prefix:tools) and install that (no need to un-install your older JB (yes, the one you installed is 'older', the most recent has a revision number in its name)).

Check the Collections Manager thread's top post on the limitations if you do upgrade rather than downgrade.

Do not let your PW-2 suck up a OTA update to the 5.6.x series firmware.

Keep your fingers away from the 'factory reset' button.

Also, you might want to use the Librarian Sync add-in rather than the CM.
It just depends on what and how you need to use the CM features.

= = = = =

It is 2am, my local time, if I still have errors in the above advice, somebody (who is awake) please post the corrections.

Last edited by knc1; 12-04-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
kogi

Quote:
Try restarting your device.
Its an important step of getting MKK to work.
I have done so previously. no luck there
Quote:
Keep your fingers away from the 'factory reset' button.
Ooops. I already have multiple times. with reboots and reinstall jailbreaks in between
Advert
Old 12-04-2015, 03:26 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have done so previously. no luck there

Ooops. I already have multiple times. with reboots and reinstall jailbreaks in between
Sorry, I didn't see that bit of information in your first post.

- - - - -

Not a show stopper, now get the most recent JB from NiLuJe's snapshot thread (set thread filter to prefix: tools to help find it).

Afterwards, keep away from the "reset to factory defaults" button.

- - - - -

The more I think about this (or the more coffee I drink), I am pretty sure you are correct, with a model 9017 your only choice is to upgrade, 5.4.0 is too old for it.

Becareful, there is an OTA update out to 5.6.<something> for your device. Don't let it connect to the network unless you have some (or all) of our OTA blocking things installed.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:39 AM   #7
kogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
S
The more I think about this (or the more coffee I drink), I am pretty sure you are correct, with a model 9017 your only choice is to upgrade, 5.4.0 is too old for it.

Thank you. Sorted. I upgraded to 5.4.5.1. The kindlets start now!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you. Sorted. I upgraded to 5.4.5.1. The kindlets start now!
Thanks!
I guess I shouldn't try to give advice at 2am.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And yes, collections still work. Collections Manager currently supports your newly-upgraded firmware, though LibrarianSync is faster if you are using calibre and Kindle Collections.

You won't be able to create nested collections, but version of the PW2 was already past the cutoff point where that stopped working.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote