Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
simonzed
simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.simonzed could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle & Android
problems sending ePub files to Kindle from Calibre

I use Calibre to manage my library, and with the epub format allowed on my Paperwhite (7th Gen), I've tried sending a few of my books from Calibre in epub format. These books look fine in the Calibre reader, but on my kindle, they're unreadable. All double quotes, apostrophes, and a few others, all gibberish.

Anyone else seen this? Not happening with all books, but most.

PS just tried sending the same books as mobi's and they still work, and they also don't have any problems with the punctuation being scrambled. they also send the book cover properly, so I'll stick with mobi...until it stops working.

Last edited by simonzed; 06-12-2022 at 10:28 AM.
simonzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Calibre only sends the basic kindle format to your device at his time. And it is my understanding that if you send epub then it s converted to one of the kindle formats before it is downloaded to your kindle
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Make a dual mobi or azw3 file and send it to the Kindle via USB. Then leave connected a while after software eject so indexing is done and battery is charged somewhat.

Don't use Amazon's "Send To Kindle" service which is misnamed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonzed View Post
I use Calibre to manage my library, and with the epub format allowed on my Paperwhite (7th Gen), I've tried sending a few of my books from Calibre in epub format. These books look fine in the Calibre reader, but on my kindle, they're unreadable. All double quotes, apostrophes, and a few others, all gibberish.

PS just tried sending the same books as mobi's and they still work, and they also don't have any problems with the punctuation being scrambled. they also send the book cover properly, so I'll stick with mobi...until it stops working.
That’s to do with the character encoding of the ePub. See this:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...r-smart-quotes
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

How are you sending the epubs to your Kindle? Sending via a USB connection will not work. You will need to email the epub to your Kindle's email address and it will be converted by Amazon and then sent to your Kindle or use a Send to Kindle application. There is no functionality in the current Kindle firmware to read epub format ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Calibre only sends the basic kindle format to your device at his time. And it is my understanding that if you send epub then it s converted to one of the kindle formats before it is downloaded to your kindle
If you select epub as an allowed format for your Kindle, it will not be converted.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
These books look fine in the Calibre reader, but on my kindle, they're unreadable. All double quotes, apostrophes, and a few others, all gibberish.
See Send-to-Kindle IOS Apostrophe issue...
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #8
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I didn’t think kindles can read epub unless they’ve been converted to a kindle format?
“Send to kindle” email converts epub to something the kindle understands.
Edit: sorry I should have read post #5 and wouldn’t have posted this if I had. Oops and sorry @DNSB
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
I didn’t think kindles can read epub unless they’ve been converted to a kindle format?
“Send to kindle” email converts epub to something the kindle understands.
Edit: sorry I should have read post #5 and wouldn’t have posted this if I had. Oops and sorry @DNSB
No problem. I keep telling myself to print out "Read to the end of thread BEFORE replying, you doofus!" and paste it on the monitor bezel but I'm too busy reading and replying to get around to it.

Tags
calibre, kindle, paperwhite