Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #16
Kindler123
Kindler123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 12th gen (PW5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviteusz View Post
What extension did you use to block ota?
I only had kual helper (enabled “Prevent OTA”) - clearly it didn't work.
Kindler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #17
Kindler123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
In the steps above, you mixed all things together.
Perhaps I mixed certain steps, but your step 15) Install NiLuje's Hotfix via mrpi
is BEFORE your step 16) Use this script and run it with ;log runme :

which is the opposite sequence to the current suggestion:

3) Put the RUNME.sh file with downgrader code - run this with “;log runme” command.
4) Install Hotfix from NiLuJe’s Snapshots with “Update Your Kindle”.

(and "Update Your Kindle" is not in my menu at any stage - even when I had official 15.6.2.1.1.bin in the root directory of kindle.)

Also any attempts I had to install NiLuje's Hotfix failed - both before and after attempts to run your code in RUNME.sh. I was able to install NiLuje's Hotfix only after I ran emergency-bridge-recovery with emergency.sh update with the code similar to yours AND downgrade to 15.6.2.1.1.

Trust me I tried all possible combinations, even though I cannot tell exactly why I succeeded at the end.

I did Activate renameOTAbin - thank you.

Can you tell me how I can disable Amazon logging, please?
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #18
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindler123 View Post
Can you tell me how I can disable Amazon logging, please?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4376193
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #19
Kindler123

Awesome - thank you!
Old 12-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #20
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Perhaps I mixed certain steps, but your step 15) Install NiLuje's Hotfix via mrpi
is BEFORE your step 16) Use this script and run it with ;log runme :
My bad! Corrected in the latest post.

By "mixed evetything" I meant:
Quote:
On restart I see a message on the bottom of the screen **** SQUASH JB **** which I assume comes from amazon. After applying emergency-bridge-recovery the file file /mnt/us/version.txt.backup does not appear in either method.
What can I try next?
After emergency script, you need to reinstall Hotfix, then do TWO restarts to get JB back. Only then RUNME.sh will work.

I am just leaving these corrections here for future reference, I again congratulate you on the succesfull restoration of the JB

P.S. JB things are tricky, yes, and it is very important to keep cool head and be able to detect what's going on. Thus, it is important to observe and log everything you see (and you didn't reply to my question about what it showed after next restart when you saw SQUASH JB message).

Last edited by mergen3107; 12-10-2023 at 07:08 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 06:25 PM   #21
Kindler123

You are correct - I completely missed that I was required to do 2 restarts.

I don't think there were any other messages after SQUASH JB, although to tell you the truth I did not watch carefully as I did not know this may be important.

Appreciate you help!
Old 12-11-2023, 09:58 PM   #22
Alessio
Alessio began at the beginning.

Quote:

Here is wait you should have done (after unexpected Firmware upgrade to >5.16.2):
1) Put the four emergency files, then restart Kindle.
2) They should disappear- that means JB was restored.
3) Install Hotfix from NiLuJe’s Snapshots with “Update Your Kindle”.
4) Restart Kindle TWICE.
5) Put the RUNME.sh file with downgrader code - run this with “;log runme” command.
6) This creates this version.txt.bak and allows to downgrade.
7) Put the lower FW bin file and restart - Kindle will downgrade.
8) Install again Hotfix from NiLuJe with UYK.
9) Restart Kindle TWICE.
10) Install AND activate renameOTAbin.

I tried this, but in step 2, those files do not disappear after the upgrade. These are my files after a restart:

During restart, I'm getting the following message: "**** BRIDGE+ ****".

Do you know what this message means?

I have a Kindle Scribe which force upgraded to 5.16.3.1 after installing the Jailbreak

Last edited by Alessio; 12-11-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:20 AM   #23
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you got a chance to install hotfix from NiLuJe before it force upgraded?
If yes, then restart once more.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:52 AM   #24
Marek
Zealot
Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marek writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
I tried this, but in step 2, those files do not disappear after the upgrade. These are my files after a restart:

During restart, I'm getting the following message: "**** BRIDGE+ ****".

Do you know what this message means?

I have a Kindle Scribe which force upgraded to 5.16.3.1 after installing the Jailbreak
The hotfix sometimes gets stuck on "Bridge+" when the device isn't recognized, if you never could install kual or anything thats probably the problem, share your serial number you can leave out the last 5 numbers, and if that is the issue Niluju will (probably) happily update kual to support it
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:36 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This happens to be the final (well, penultimate) step of the bridge, so it sort of makes sense that it be the final message being shown .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:36 PM   #26
elbioleg
elbioleg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Here is wait you should have done (after unexpected Firmware upgrade to >5.16.2):
1) Put the four emergency files, then restart Kindle.
2) They should disappear- that means JB was restored.
3) Install Hotfix from NiLuJe’s Snapshots with “Update Your Kindle”.
4) Restart Kindle TWICE.
5) Put the RUNME.sh file with downgrader code - run this with “;log runme” command.
6) This creates this version.txt.bak and allows to downgrade.
7) Put the lower FW bin file and restart - Kindle will downgrade.
8) Install again Hotfix from NiLuJe with UYK.
9) Restart Kindle TWICE.
10) Install AND activate renameOTAbin.
Sir, you saved my life (and a Kindle to be smashed against the wall).

Short story >> new K. Oasis for Christmas. Version 5.15.whatever. Attempt to jailbreak with language hack. Fail. Upgrade to 5.16.2. Success!! I manage to install KUAL, KOReader, hotfix, etc. Start registering Kindle and activating 3 free months of K. Unlimited; can't turn wifi off. Weird. Realise it is stuck on 'managed mode'. WTF is this. Cold sweat. Go for dinner. Come back and manage to exit this 'managed mode', but the f*c*ing thingie has upgraded itself to the last version when unsupervised. Anger rises. Nothing seems to work. Then I saw your guide and everything has gone back to normal, I have my JB again, KUAL, KOReader, etc. And, of course, renameOTAbin is active.

Just wanted to spend some time relating my story in case it is of any help for someone else, same way you (and other great persons) spend your time helping others. Thank you again, I really appreciate your help.

PS: Now, let's see how we can get rid of this TERRIBLE UI and go back to something similar to the one we had on 5.13.X XD
elbioleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:48 PM   #27
mergen3107
Wizard

Congrats!
Now make sure to install AND activate renameOTAbin or Binary Renamer in KUAL.

Then be extremely cautious about where to downgrade, make sure you stay above the FW that your Kindle model initially shipped with.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #28
elbioleg
elbioleg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would only downgrade to have back the old UI with horizontal scroll, etc. (<=5.13.X, I think). My KO3 was shipped with 5.15.1.1, I think, so I don't dare to do it. I'll try to get used to this UI the 5.16.2 has.
elbioleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:27 PM   #29
codrut_popescu
codrut_popescu began at the beginning.

Device: Inkpad X Pro
I have a Scribe currently on firmware 5.16.6.1. I learned only now about the jailbreak. Is there any chance to downgrade?
codrut_popescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:46 PM   #30
mergen3107
Wizard

No, not at the moment