Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2021, 03:31 AM   #1
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Font size issues with epub on Kobo Clara HD

I have a Kobo Clara HD which I've primarily used to read books purchased from Kobo. When I read a new book I've purchased or borrowed using Overdrive, the font (type, size, etc) is that same as I set for the previous book I read, which is what I want. However, I also purchase some Norwegian ebooks from time to time, and these come as epub files. Strange thing is, when I open these, the font size is huge. So I turned down the font size, but when I then started reading a kepub book, the font size was tiny.

What is the simplest solution for making the epub respect the font settings I've set on my Kobo? Will converting them to kepub solve the issue?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch...offr.yaml#L510
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337427
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
alehel
Zealot

Thanks. Not sure I want to start messing with firmware, but at least the description for the setting you linked to explained perfectly what the issue is .
Old 08-05-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
Will converting them to kepub solve the issue?
Yes it will. Using Calibre and the KoboTouchExtended plug-in would auto-convert those Norwegian ePubs to kepubs when sending them to your Kobo, so you don't need to do anything yourself.

This assumes those books do not have DRM or that the DRM can be removed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks. Not sure I want to start messing with firmware, but at least the description for the setting you linked to explained perfectly what the issue is .
If your ePub do not have DRM, you could use the KoboTouchExtended driver with Calibre to convert the ePub to KePub when you send them to your Kobo. Then you'll have the same font settings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:34 AM   #6
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@alehel

If you only have a problem with the font, there is no point in installing Calibre and converting all your epub to kepub... The patch solves this problem, it is installed very quickly and simply.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:09 AM   #7
alehel
Zealot

I only just noticed that I'm unable to control the font family as well. I guess they are embedded. Fortunately, most Norwegian ebooks are only watermarked, so I can edit/convert them. I tried simply converting to kepub, but then I got issues with certain text no longer being center-aligned. Turns out the Kobo has some internal stylesheet with !important on the CSS for text alignment (based on what I found on Google). Well, that's annoying.

At least I know CSS, so I can fix it easily enough.

I don't understand why they would specify a font-family for an entire book.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:43 AM   #8
alehel
Zealot

Hmm. That's interesting. Reading this on Kobos github page, I should be able to change font on my Kobo, also if the epub has embeded fonts. Wonder why I'm not able to change font.

https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...ected-by-users

I have OpenDyslexic as my font, but that's certainly not the one I'm getting.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hmm. That's interesting. Reading this on Kobos github page, I should be able to change font on my Kobo, also if the epub has embeded fonts. Wonder why I'm not able to change font.

Again, there's a patch for this issue. There are patches for most issues, actually.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #10
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Again, there's a patch for this issue. There are patches for most issues, actually.
Guess I'm going to be patching
Old 08-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Choosing a font from the font settings should override the fonts specified in the book, whether they are embedded or not. As with the other settings, exactly what gets overridden depends on the format. I have no real idea as I rarely change the font and just use the Publishers font option.

But, if you aren't getting OpenDyslexic when you select it, what are you getting?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Choosing a font from the font settings should override the fonts specified in the book, whether they are embedded or not.
Without patching, it does not always override the specified font in epubs. It mostly does so with kepubs, but epub handling is different.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Also, for anyone not aware of this yet, @jackie_w and I noticed that this font size issue became MUCH more of a problem on 4.28.17820 (currently only released for the Elipsa; the issue might be fixed before a version is released for the other devices) -- the EPUB font size is nearly double, and the minimum size (even patched) is still a bit large. See https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch...ment-881994277 and https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch...ment-882619953 .
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #14
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
the minimum size (even patched) is still a bit large.
I forgot to mention it. On firmware 4.28.17925, you need to use two patches: ePub uniform font scale and Set font scale factor. Otherwise, the scale does not allow reducing the font for those who prefer a small one.

Last edited by Semwize; 08-13-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #15
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

But, if you aren't getting OpenDyslexic when you select it, what are you getting?
Publisher default is being used regardless of what I choose. Line spacing is also having no effect. Wish they would just set the handling of kepub and epub to be as similar as possible.

Anyway, it's good to know most of this can be patched. I don't read many Norwegian books at the moment, so not a huge issue.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk