Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
New 2014 Kindle Fires - discuss

New Kindle Fires! Who is interested?

6" Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800 (252 ppi) Quad-core up to 1.5 GHz - 2 cameras

7" Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800 (216 ppi) Quad-core up to 1.5 GHz - 2 cameras

Seems to me the 6" is a better deal - less money, more resolution, same size as many phones. I am seriously considering ordering one.

The 2013 HDX has not changed, except for a permanent price reduction.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
New Kindle Fires! Who is interested?

6" Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800 (252 ppi) Quad-core up to 1.5 GHz - 2 cameras

7" Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800 (216 ppi) Quad-core up to 1.5 GHz - 2 cameras

Seems to me the 6" is a better deal - less money, more resolution, same size as many phones. I am seriously considering ordering one.

The 2013 HDX has not changed, except for a permanent price reduction.
The family libraries would be a main reason to get it so I could use Prime Music but do I need another tablet? I hardly use the one I bought last year.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I am still on the fence, I think I want the 6 but for some reason the 7 still calls to me. I pre-ordered both, I will cancel one before they ship on October 2nd. And yes I ordered both now so I can get whichever I decide with the first shipments. But I think I am going to keep the 6", I like the idea it is a little lighter, though not sure how I feel about a smaller screen.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I am still on the fence, I think I want the 6 but for some reason the 7 still calls to me. I pre-ordered both, I will cancel one before they ship on October 2nd. And yes I ordered both now so I can get whichever I decide with the first shipments. But I think I am going to keep the 6", I like the idea it is a little lighter, though not sure how I feel about a smaller screen.
Why does the 6" have the better ppi then the 7" which is more expensive but the 6" has mono speakers and 7" stereo speakers.

Last Cyber Monday there was $50 off sale so I would wait.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The family libraries would be a main reason to get it so I could use Prime Music but do I need another tablet? I hardly use the one I bought last year.
I just put my 2013 HD up for sale on Amazon. I never use it, gave it to the kids, but they hardly use it, either. They have Nook HDs.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I just put my 2013 HD up for sale on Amazon. I never use it, gave it to the kids, but they hardly use it, either. They have Nook HDs.
I would give mine to hubby but I will wait for Christmas and for it to go on sale. I couldn't swing anything right now anyway. I need to sell my Kindles I have Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW1 and Kindle Basic just collecting dust.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My 2013 HD has been having trouble maintaining a wifi connection for a few months, I have been holding out replacing it because I was waiting to see what the Fire's would offer. I know the Nexus 7 is probably better but since I buy a lot of Immersive reading combinations, I like sticking with a native Amazon device. Plus I want collections on my tablet and the android just doesn't keep up with my massive amount of cloud collections. Now let's see if the Fire will have better luck syncing from the PW2.

Now I need to decide if I want to trade in my current Fire, retire it to the gadget drawer or pass it on to a family member. I will probably retire it due to the wifi issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
My 2013 HD has been having trouble maintaining a wifi connection for a few months, I have been holding out replacing it because I was waiting to see what the Fire's would offer. I know the Nexus 7 is probably better but since I buy a lot of Immersive reading combinations, I like sticking with a native Amazon device. Plus I want collections on my tablet and the android just doesn't keep up with my massive amount of cloud collections. Now let's see if the Fire will have better luck syncing from the PW2.

Now I need to decide if I want to trade in my current Fire, retire it to the gadget drawer or pass it on to a family member. I will probably retire it due to the wifi issue.
I'd get it replace it should be under warranty then you can gift it.
I love my Nexus 7 but I don't want to use it for Games or Music. The problem is Prime is on his account so I can't use it on my current Kindle Fire. I was plan on getting him a new KF for Christmas but this way I get the new one and he can have the 2013 and I can use his Prime. My old problem is I like the 6 inch with higher PPI but the sound wouldn't be as good with mono speakers.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-18-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would give mine to hubby but I will wait for Christmas and for it to go on sale. I couldn't swing anything right now anyway. I need to sell my Kindles I have Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW1 and Kindle Basic just collecting dust.
I can't afford it right now either, but I do have 3 devices listed for sale, so if they go, that will help. We are getting ready to take on a car loan (used!) so I have to keep that in mind.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I can't afford it right now either, but I do have 3 devices listed for sale, so if they go, that will help. We are getting ready to take on a car loan (used!) so I have to keep that in mind.
I am hoping Swagbucks picks up around the holidays that is the only way I could swing it. Last time I sold a eReader it was on here on the Flea Market. I might try that again. As you know my Paperwhite has no blobs or discoloration so I think it would go fast.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I definitely want the 6" to replace my PW2. But I'm also waiting on my phone upgrade eligibility and the new iPods. So I might not bother at all.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think they'll put it on sale before Christmas....it's already pretty cheap at $119.

The Voyage, on the other hand.....if it was $150 I'd have ordered already. I will definitely wait as long as I have to for a sale. No way I'm paying $199 for that.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't think they'll put it on sale before Christmas....it's already pretty cheap at $119.

The Voyage, on the other hand.....if it was $150 I'd have ordered already. I will definitely wait as long as I have to for a sale. No way I'm paying $199 for that.
Oh yes it will go on sale before Christmas. They do this every year with the Kindle Fire and some Kindles. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are the time to watch out for.

I got my Kindle Fire HD 2013 on Cyber Monday on Amazon for $50 off it was how I was able to get the 16GB not the 8GB one.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

This year I am skipping the ereader. Not only is that price too high, but I am not interested in any of the hardware upgrades so I will just wait for them to upgrade the software on my pw2. I think I will stick to the plan of upgrading each device every two years instead of both at the same time.

But this is the first year where I actually do not want the ereader, I know most people are happy about that touch stuff on the bezel, but the space on pw is already limited for me to hold it without turning pages to lose space on the bezel now too. And in case you are wondering, I usually carry mine in my hand between trains and it has taken me this long to keep my fingers off of the glass, so no thank you not giving up more real estate.

There is just not enough "improvements" to justify an upgrade let alone an expensive one.

I am actually shocked with the prices this year, not only the high cost of the Voyage but the low cost of the Fires.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm seriously thinking of pre-ordering the Fire 6". Right now I don't have any Amazon compatible tablets so I can't use the apps I bought from the Amazon appstore, and the 6 sounds perfect as a backup tablet.

Besides, if the parental controls work properly, I can let my daughter use it, too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote