Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
ebook-viewer help needed -default stand-alone use

UPDATE: Solved as of post #2. Thanks!

Dear Moderators/Developers ,

BOTTOM LINE: I am now unable to get the e-book-viewer.exe file to work as a default program WITHOUT it opening the main calibre program and importing the file instead.
NOTE: I am always on the latest version of Calibre. As of now, that is the April 10th version 2.24.

Here's what worked and what I changed:
I've had no problem using this as a quick view of books on my Wdws 7 laptop when organizing my library. I wanted to clean up my computer and remove unnecessary programs. I inadvertently installed Calibre 32bit when I first found the Calibre and later 64bit as is this laptop. So, I took time recently to uninstall the 32bit under Program Files (x86)/Calibre. However, it was the e-bookview.exe app installed in this directory that I had associated with my book files as the default viewer (ie, right-click/Open With.../navigated directly to this .exe file and chose it as default for .epub types and others). EASY ENOUGH/TYPICAL...

When I unistalled the 32 bit version, I lost my default viewer status. When I repeated the process to to set the default through Program Files/Calibre2, no matter what I would come back to the main program instead (thus the import). I thought this an oddity and have tried several times and after PC restarts and through direct changing of default programs and associated files but still have the same problem, NOT BEING ABLE TO USE THE VIEWER as a stand-alone now.

I tried copying the ebook-viewer.exe file outside of the Calibre2 directory into the main Program Files folder. I can associate it that way (instead of the main program) and even see it as the default program (as well as thus changing default file icons to match). HOWEVER, when I click to open the files, nothing happens. I've checked Task Mgr for any open processes or apps that may not be showing up on the screen, but nothing is there.
I tried copying Calibre2 into the Program Files (x86) folder and deleting unwanted stuff, but it seems that not only are most other apps necessary but also the same default problem referenced above repeats itself now.

IT SEEMS THE ONLY WAY I CAN USE THE E-BOOK VIEWER NOW is to open the main program, import the file(s), and then View something in my library. This was NOT THE CASE BEFORE.
(For anyone reading this about to suggest I should just import and view, I'm talking about a step where I just need a quick view of the file that doesn't involve importing which would defeat the purpose. I use import plenty and correctly and efficiently with the Calibre program which I LOVE. This is not a step where it does the work for me. I need the quick view back.)

I'm contemplating re-installing the 32 bit version to see IF it will work like that again, BUT THE POINT WAS to free up some space and remove unnecessary programs in my PC. It's not a guarantee it will work again.

This functionality is paramount for efficient library organization for me, so HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!

I've done due diligence researching anything seemingly related including this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234094) and referencing the viewer app instead as another thread suggested, but this doesn't work for my situation as best I can tell.

I don't understand why Windows isn't seeing ebook-view.exe as an independent application now. I right click/Open with.../Browse/...and can find it and choose it, but it comes back to the screen without it or reads it as the main calibre app.

Example of use (for those interested):
I cold open many files at once to check the font type and formatting prior to importing in Calibre to decide if it's what I wanted for my purposes and likely delete extra unneeded formats if criteria were met.

Last edited by jecilop; 04-15-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added example usage, SOLVED
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I've seen Windows keep stale registry values for executable filenames that block the Open With menu from finding other identically-named executables in different locations.

Try using a registry cleaner (e.g. CCleaner), or manually deleting every reference to "ebook-viewer.exe" you can find.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
SOLVED!
Thank you, @eschwartz !
Not only was CCleaner good for many other things, but doing this solved the problem.

Last edited by jecilop; 04-15-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typos
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, CCleaner is a must-have on Windows. It is on my special shortlist of things-to-install-on-every-Windows-computer.

On linux I usually use bleachbit, but the only thing that really needs cleaning on linux is foreign language translations. Can't figure out how to do that on Windows though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
viewer