Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-11-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
fvdham
Connoisseur
fvdham began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-T1 / Kobo Glo HD
e-book viewer; preparing book for first read

I have a strange behavior of the e-book viewer.
Opening a book that has been opened before takes less than 3 seconds. “Preparing book for first read” takes less than 5 seconds. Acceptable figures.
However, after a fresh start of my laptop, the first book with the message “Preparing book for first read” takes at least 2.5 minutes!! So the e-book viewer does something the first time it has to prepare a book.
My laptop is 1.8 GHz, 8 Gb mem, 64 bits, Windows10 latest version and SSD drive.
Any idea what’s going on?
fvdham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Recently read books are cached, IIRC in the user Temp folder. Sounds something, probably a 3rd party utility, is clearing it when you restart your laptop.

You can take control of its location via the CALIBRE_CACHE_DIRECTORY Environment variable.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
fvdham
Connoisseur

I don't think it has to do with cached books being cleared. It has to do with books never read before and being the first one after starting windows. The second never read book does open quickly.
I looked for the cached books but i can't find them anywhere. Can anyone tell me it's location?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the viewer does nothing differently the first time it prepares a book after a reboot, indeed it knows nothing about when your computer was last rebooted, at all. Most likely something else on your compputer is causing the slowdown. Perhaps an antivirus is extra suspicious after a reboot. Or some cache of DLLs is cleared by the OS and needs to be reloaded. Or something else. I can tell you the time for preparing a book is identical after a reboot on my windows system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
fvdham
Connoisseur

Thank you koval for your responce.
Is there a way of running calibre in some kind of debug mode so i can see what's going on?
And where are the cached books located on mij computer?

Fred
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
Is there a way of running calibre in some kind of debug mode so i can see what's going on?

Fred
Preferences:restart in Debug mode
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
cached books are located in the calibre cache director which BR already told you how to control.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdham View Post

Fred
debug mode Ctrl+Shift+R
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote