Notices

Old 05-26-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
Jaco
Jaco began at the beginning.

Device: none
A bug in 1.9.30?

Hi, everybody,

It is Jaco, a newbie here.

After to install Sigil all was right. But I found a problem. If I include a cover using Tools/to add cover to a epub3, it makes a code that doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions neither other visors. Cover dissapear or it shows tiny.

I spent 2 days working and asking in Telegram groups of CSS/HTML. Nobody undestood the problem, nobody had a solution. Finally I get the solution here,

https://ebookflightdeck.com/handbook/coverimage

I hope it helps to another people.
Best,
Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Using add cover adds an svg wrapped cover image to the epub3, adds the correct cover semantics, add the proper epub3 manifest properties. It passes all epubcheck cover related checks.

My guess is your ADE version is quite old and it probably does not support svg which is a required part of the epub3/html5 spec. Please test with a known epub3 compliant reader such as Thorium.

So no bug. Just an out of date reader that does not properly support svg image scaling.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Using add cover adds an svg wrapped cover image to the epub3, adds the correct cover semantics, add the proper epub3 manifest properties. It passes all epubcheck cover related checks.

My guess is your ADE version is quite old and it probably does not support svg which is a required part of the epub3/html5 spec. Please test with a known epub3 compliant reader such as Thorium.

So no bug. Just an out of date reader that does not properly support svg image scaling.
You're right; it's not a bug in Sigil – it's a bug in ADE from – I think – version 4 and up. It renders SVG-covers very small, but I've found that putting

style="height:98vh;"

(the "98" can be any percentage) into the SVG-code forces ADE to render it correctly, and doesn't seem to bother other readers. It only works by putting it directly in the SVG-code.

Sample:

<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
style="height:98vh;" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1650 2200"
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"> <image width="1650" height="2200"
xlink:href="../Images/hawthorne-det_roede_bogstav.jpg"/>

(the code may not be "state of THE art", just state of MY art )

Regards

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@elibrarian,

Interesting! Thanks for that info. I will try adding that into the next version of Sigil if there is not a better solution.

I do wonder if changing from 100% to 100vw for width and 100vh for height (or your 98, but without the style) would effectively do the same thing for all chrome based and webkit based engines?

Code:
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" 
width="100vw" height="100vh" viewBox="0 0 1650 2200" 

Last edited by KevinH; 05-27-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If so, then ade 1 and 2 differ from ade 4 and up! So your svg style may be the only way to create a solution that works generally.

Thanks!

Last edited by KevinH; 05-27-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
Hey, welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
After to install Sigil all was right. But I found a problem. If I include a cover using Tools/to add cover [...] Finally I get the solution here,

No. The pure HTML width/height solution will not keep the proper ratios, so the cover can easily get cut off or distorted when trying to "fill the screen".

See my post from:

I even included many images showing the different possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
You're right; it's not a bug in Sigil – it's a bug in ADE from – I think – version 4 and up. It renders SVG-covers very small, [...]
Interesting. First I'm hearing of it. Must be a very recent regression which should be reported to Adobe.

I haven't upgraded my ADE in a while, so I'm on:

which is from around February 2021... and the SVG wrapper code works perfectly fine as it always has.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-27-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hmm ... perhaps the ADE bug is platform specific?
Old 05-28-2023, 03:21 AM   #8
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm ... perhaps the ADE bug is platform specific?
Maybe. I'm on Windows 11, but it was there in Windows 10 too.

It's been a long time since I tried out Linux for some years and my last skirmish with Apple/ Mac was in prehistoric times (Apple II or something).

I seem to remember that other people has reported the problem to Adobe, but nothing happens.

Regards, Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:36 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi, everybody,

After to install Sigil all was right. But I found a problem. If I include a cover using Tools/to add cover to a epub3, it makes a code that doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions neither other visors. Cover dissapear or it shows tiny.

I spent 2 days working and asking in Telegram groups of CSS/HTML. Nobody undestood the problem, nobody had a solution. Finally I get the solution here,

I hope it helps to another people.
Best,
What version of Adobe Digital Editions are you using?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:40 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
You're right; it's not a bug in Sigil – it's a bug in ADE from – I think – version 4 and up. It renders SVG-covers very small, but I've found that putting

style="height:98vh;"

(the "98" can be any percentage) into the SVG-code forces ADE to render it correctly, and doesn't seem to bother other readers. It only works by putting it directly in the SVG-code.

Sample:

style="height:98vh;" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1650 2200"

(the code may not be "state of THE art", just state of MY art )

Regards

Kim
Height should be 100% in order to fill the screen. There is no reason to use hv as % keeps backwards compatibility better. vh won't work either. % is what will work.

RMSDK as used by Kobo is too old to woth with hv or vw. Only % is going to work. So a change to 100% is what's needed tow work properly.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-28-2023 at 04:43 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:50 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not necessarily.

I had issues with full screen images ‘bleeding’ into a 2nd page when I used 100%. When I switched to vw/vh it cleared it right up.

As with anything, check your target device(s) and see which one you want to use.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Height should be 100% in order to fill the screen. There is no reason to use hv as % keeps backwards compatibility better. vh won't work either. % is what will work.

RMSDK as used by Kobo is too old to woth with hv or vw. Only % is going to work. So a change to 100% is what's needed tow work properly.
Huh? Did you actually read the op? Sigil already uses 100% but it is failing on some current ADE versions. Your reply makes no sense.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:00 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If anyone has Adobe Digital Editions versions on their machines could they please test the use of "100%" for width and height in an svg cover versus "100vw" for width and "100vh" for height (or 98 or 95 or ...). And report back.

Also please test elibrarian's inline style workaround if you find a version of ADE that has the bug and report that back also.

That way we can make a more informed decision on how best to workaround this ADE bug for use in the next version of Sigil.

Thanks

KevinH

From my own machine:

ADE Version 4.5.11.187606 for Mac OS
- does NOT exhibit this bug.

It works just fine with either "100%"
for svg width/height or "100vw" and "100vh" for width and height respectively.

But this is the only version of ADE I was able to find directly from Adobe for download to my Mac.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-28-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:17 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
If anyone has Adobe Digital Editions versions on their machines could they please test the use of "100%" for width and height in an svg cover versus "100vw" for width and "100vh" for height (or 98 or 95 or ...). And report back.
Both ADE 2.0.1.78765 and ADE 4.5.11.187303 for Windows render covers in EPUB2 books with the default SVG cover code fine.
(I used this MR book for the test.)
Cover code:
Spoiler:
Code:
        <div>
            <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 563 751" preserveAspectRatio="none">
                <image width="563" height="751" xlink:href="cover.jpeg"/>
            </svg>
        </div>

However, the cover of this epub3 MR book was not correctly rendered in ADE 4.5.11. (It was rendered fine in ADE 2.0.1.)
Cover code:
Spoiler:
Code:
  <div style="text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" width="100%" version="1.1" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 1080 1430"><image width="1080" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg" height="1430"/></svg>
  </div>

After implementing the change recommended by elibrarian, the cover was correctly rendered.
(I used height:100vh; instead of height:98vh;)
Spoiler:
Code:
  <div style="height:100vh; text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" width="100%" version="1.1" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 1080 1430"><image width="1080" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg" height="1430"/></svg>
  </div>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_ade_4_orig.png
Views:	105
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	201735   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_ade_4_modfied.png
Views:	106
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	201736  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:33 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Doitsu,

So the exact same version of ADE 4.5.11.187303 on Windows works fine for epub2 with 100% but not for epub3? Or did I misread and you tested with a slightly different build number?

Code:
  <div style="height:100vh; text-align: center; padding: 0pt; margin: 0pt;">
  </div>
And your version of the workaround of setting the height on the parent div really makes sense as its svg child should use 100% of that height.

Sigil does have epub version specific code for the cover so adding that workaround to the epub3 version is easily doable.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-28-2023 at 12:46 PM.