Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2023, 05:54 AM   #1
rosagami
rosagami began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post Kindle Paperwhite won't accept ePub anymore

Good morning,

Since a few months ago, Kindle wanted books in ePub but now it won't accept themanymore.

I have called Amazon support and they said they must be in Pdf or Word now.

The problem is, we lose a lot of functionality like that, i.e. you don't get the dictionary when you click on a word.

Is there any workaround this?

Thank you very much in advance,
rosagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I’ve emailed epubs to my kindle recently. I actually sent one this morning. It downloaded fine.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2023, 06:49 AM   #3
rosagami

Wow, I wonder why I can't and I have been told at Kindle support that it can't be done anymore.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosagami View Post
Wow, I wonder why I can't and I have been told at Kindle support that it can't be done anymore.
How are you sending them? And as for “Kindle Support “, sometimes I think we customers know more than they do.

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-20-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #5
rosagami

I have tried sending them to email as I had always done and also dragging them in the webpage to no avail
Advert
Old 07-20-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have tried sending them to email as I had always done and also dragging them in the webpage to no avail
I use email. Make sure you use an email address which can send books to your kindle and send them to the the email address of your kindle. I tend to email one at a time and leave the subject line of the email blank.

I use the epub created by calibre as my personal docs were originally downloaded in mobi format or I’ve created epubs from word documents.

Just try one and see what happens.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:43 AM   #7
rosagami

That's what I do :-(

And now I have got a written answer from support saying that the following formats are the only compatible ones from now on:

Hola,

Recibe un cordial saludo de mi parte, mi nombre es Paola del departamento de soporte técnico de Kindle y soy la persona que ha tenido el agrado de haber recibido tu contacto.

Te envió toda la información referente a tu caso, por lo cual te pido amablemente que leas en su totalidad este correo ya que contiene información importante de tu caso.

Lamento los problemas que has experimento con el envió de documentos personales a tu kindle.

Te recomiendo que descargues libros o documentos personales en su formato original para que tu dispositivo tenga un buen funcionamiento y no presente problemas en un futuro.

El Servicio de documentos personales de Kindle es compatible con los siguientes tipos de archivos:

La dirección de correo electrónico del Servicio de documentos personales de Kindle es una dirección única asignada a dispositivos compatibles o apps de Kindle de tu cuenta.

Estos son algunos de los formatos de archivo compatibles:

- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
- HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
- RTF (.RTF)
- Texto (.TXT)
- JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
- GIF (.GIF)
- PNG (.PNG) - BMP (.BMP)
- PDF (.PDF)
- EPUB (.EPUB) (ya no es compatible con las últimas funciones de Kindle para documentos)
- MOBI (.AZW, .MOBI) (ya no es compatible con las últimas funciones de Kindle para documentos)

ePub and Mobi aren't compatible anymore.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:13 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's what I do :-(

And now I have got a written answer from support saying that the following formats are the only compatible ones from now on:

Hola,

Recibe un cordial saludo de mi parte, mi nombre es Paola del departamento de soporte técnico de Kindle y soy la persona que ha tenido el agrado de haber recibido tu contacto.

Te envió toda la información referente a tu caso, por lo cual te pido amablemente que leas en su totalidad este correo ya que contiene información importante de tu caso.

Lamento los problemas que has experimento con el envió de documentos personales a tu kindle.

Te recomiendo que descargues libros o documentos personales en su formato original para que tu dispositivo tenga un buen funcionamiento y no presente problemas en un futuro.

El Servicio de documentos personales de Kindle es compatible con los siguientes tipos de archivos:

La dirección de correo electrónico del Servicio de documentos personales de Kindle es una dirección única asignada a dispositivos compatibles o apps de Kindle de tu cuenta.

Estos son algunos de los formatos de archivo compatibles:

- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
- HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
- RTF (.RTF)
- Texto (.TXT)
- JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
- GIF (.GIF)
- PNG (.PNG) - BMP (.BMP)
- PDF (.PDF)
- EPUB (.EPUB) (ya no es compatible con las últimas funciones de Kindle para documentos)
- MOBI (.AZW, .MOBI) (ya no es compatible con las últimas funciones de Kindle para documentos)

ePub and Mobi aren't compatible anymore.
They are. I'm sorry I can't tell you whats going on or why, but I just sent three epubs I created in calibre, on one email, to my kindle. They arrived immediately.

Try converting one epub from an epub to an epub (I know that doesn't make sense) and then try the new epub. I did have a look on google and i found this post on a Amazon forum which seems to think the problem is DRM on the original file. A reconversion in calibre would show if thats your problem

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...-and-drag-drop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-20 130503.png
Views:	57
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	202735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5427.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	653.3 KB
ID:	202736  
Old 07-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

This screenshot is from Amazon UK. Ignore the fact that its about Notes, epub is still listed as a format for personal documents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-20 132445.png
Views:	91
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	202737  
Old 07-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
rosagami

I have tried the ePub to ePub in Calibre. It won't work either :-(
Old 07-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #11
rosagami

Maybe it is something they are implementing little by little and it depends on where you are.
I don't like this at all.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
The translation of the notes for EPUB and MOBI that I get is "no longer supports the latest Kindle features for documents" which does not mean totally unsupported. Features like the font boldness slider are are not available in MOBI format.

It is interesting that an English version of the help page that the customer service person cut/pasted only has that comment for MOBI, not EPUB. And actually the Spanish version is more correct. Sending an EPUB results in KF8 format being delivered to newer devices (except for the Kindle Scribe), however most purchased books are in KFX format with additional features. For example the choice between ragged right margin or justified on Kindles and continuous scrolling in Kindle apps.

In any case, Amazon does not provide an explanation of why an EPUB is rejected. Depending on the source of the EPUB it may have DRM or otherwise be incompatible with conversion to Kindle formats. I recommend installing and using the Kindle Previewer, a tool Amazon provides to publishers in order to check for compatibility. The error messages it provides when a book fails are not great, but better than nothing. Another good tool is the calibre ebook editor along with the EpubCheck plugin. Those can provide more useful error messages, however they do not check for some things that can cause rejection by Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:05 AM   #13
rosagami

I have tried both, Kindle Previewer and Calibre to no avail.

It is very frustrating. I don't want books in Pdf format :-(
Old 07-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

It is very frustrating. I don't want books in Pdf format :-(
you could try the following

Convert epub to RTF
Open RTF and save to DOC
Load DOC into Calibre
Convert DOC to EPUB

try sending that file to your kindle. If you don't have the DOC plugin in calibre then load the RTF and convert that to epub.

I create epubs for Fan Fiction stories all the time, thats DOC to Epub
Old 07-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
What happens when you do that? Do you gen any errors from either?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle paperwhite, pdf