Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We need a new forum for general posts

I have a post I want to make. It's not going to be device specific overall so any device specific forum is out. It doesn't belong in the lounge, so that is out. It's not newsworthy enough to be in news and commentary so that's out. So where the heck can I start my thread?

See, I've been saying we need a general purpose forum that is not the lounge. A place to talk about readers that's not device specific overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
+1 We need a general ebook/reader-related forum.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hate to say this, but I think this is why news and commentary is so cluttered with threads that do not belong there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
We should just call it "General Liseuse".
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
We should just call it "General Liseuse".
There's a French Forum already.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Like there arn't enough threads / forums for me to wander through already.

Just post it in the lounge and be done with it! Mark it with the best tag you can think of.

Meh....
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The gods know that this is not normal for me, but I'm going to go out on a rarely frequented limb and say that I might possibly agree with Jon.

Firstly, I'll say that my general impression of the News & Commentary thread is that it is for the posting of:
  • News - mostly this is obvious, like posts or external links about new product releases, government/industry moves related to copyright/DRM, incidents, the kind of stuff one finds on "news" websites, be they general or specific media. That is, the "Latest on e-books, e-paper, DRM and related technologies".
  • Commentary - this I think is less obvious, but I think should generally be external "commentary" from some self-styled pundit or journalist or an interview with a spokesperson relevant to ebookery - that is, the kind of "opinion" stuff that we can go read and then continue to comment on. I think this is generally a quite worthy place for an extended user-created commentary (I don't wish to suggest users can't be "pundits"), but perhaps with the guiding hand of an editor (that is, moderators).

The way I see that particular section, it's almost like the "MobileRead Newspaper/Magazine" section of MobileRead - somewhere to go to catch up on news or read some well-thought and written opinion piece, with the option of then responding to it.

An "Ebooks General" section would be for all ebook-related stuff that is not related to specific software, formats, devices, news, commentary - you know, just general ebook stuff.

For instance, if I go down the front page of News & Commentary at the moment, I would pick the following items for an "Ebooks General" section:

Note that the above in no way opines negatively on the above threads, pretty much every one of which I am interested in. I just think that they're predominantly where they are because News & Commentary is the "Other" of ebook-related stuff (that is, not as per my personal view of the section). I see News & Commentary's role, to use my previous analogy, as the MR Newspaper/Magazine section (but with the benefit of the conversation not being one-way), and with some degree of editorial control present (sorry...here I am proposing more work for moderators. I am conscious of that and its limitations ).

Note that, for me, the current fullness of News & Commentary is of little inconvenience/frustration with the way I peruse the forums (which is usually through "New Posts/All New Posts"), though I can understand it would be for some. I just wanted to say that I tend to agree with Jon and wanted to explain why, to encourage a reasonable conversation even if it doesn't lead to change (and, besides, Jon might have different reasons to mine for his "Feedback").

I definitely thing The Lounge is not the right spot. It's quite specifically "Friendly banter and discussions unrelated to e-books" (emphasis mine), and even a passing glance at its content would indicate that it'd be far easier to lose one's ebook-related thread in there than in News & Commentary, and, to me, that'd be distinctly undesirable.

Just one man's opinion...don't take it to heart. I don't.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 09-16-2009 at 12:33 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Yeah, I admit to posting sometimes in the news and commentary because there doesn't really seem like any other place to put it

I agree that a general section would be good. Also, there are some things which apply to more than one device, for example, when I first joined I wanted opinions about whether the Sony 505 was better or worse than the other Sony model. I posted in one of the forums, got no answers, moved it to the 505 forum and got answers. What I really needed was just a general area. Also, posts about the Sony Store software, where do those go?

That said, I don't get the whole fixation people have with only going to this forum or that forum. Just click on 'all new posts' and then skip over the ones that don't interest you. I never visit a specific forum unless it's for the purpose of posting there.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I would leave Pocket Pro Accessories, Tear down the PRS-300, and Sony vs Cooler in News/Commentary. I think reviews & comparisons belong in News, especially when the devices are new. Kindle2/PRS-505 comparisons might belong in a "general ebook discussion" forum.

I do agree that a general-ebooks forum would be useful. Among other things, it could collect threads about "what devices read what ebooks," and "which stores have the best prices/selection" (which currently wind up in "reading recommendations," I think), the pdf-vs-epub threads, and the eternal "ebooks are/are not lost pbook sales" discussions. And a general-ebook-related forum might encourage threads we currently just don't get, because people can't figure out where to put them. (Ebook accessory discussions. Ebook publisher preferences. Favorite ebook features that pbooks don't have. Cover art that looks good on an e-ink screen. Etc.)

And yeah, there are approximately 743 forums already. 'Sokay. It's a big, active forum-place; it's not like the current forums are going to wither if a new one gets added.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
We needz a poll!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I would leave Pocket Pro Accessories, Tear down the PRS-300, and Sony vs Cooler in News/Commentary. I think reviews & comparisons belong in News, especially when the devices are new. Kindle2/PRS-505 comparisons might belong in a "general ebook discussion" forum.
Yeah, after I posted, I realised that I'd meant to mention that my selections (and criteria) would likely be arguable. I included those three mostly because the "Accessories" one I thought was more a question, and the other two I thought needed elaboration to become full "Commentary" (reviews) or "News". I can see your point though, and I didn't expect total agreement with my choices at all - it was just me trying to make judgement decisions to pick examples.

And thank-you for your thoughtful response to my post, Elfwreck.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Maybe change to 'News and Commentary' to 'News and eBooks General' - it'd save the angst of deciding whether a particular thread belonged in one forum or another.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I second Sparrow. I don't want yet another section to follow, and it's not very cluttered as is.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
There's a French Forum already.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a post I want to make. It's not going to be device specific overall so any device specific forum is out. It doesn't belong in the lounge, so that is out. It's not newsworthy enough to be in news and commentary so that's out. So where the heck can I start my thread?See, I've been saying we need a general purpose forum that is not the lounge. A place to talk about readers that's not device specific overall.
I don't know it sounds like commentary to me. You know, as in "news and commentary"?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote