Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
jmurphy
Zealot
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Convert TXT to anything - simply wraps with < html > < body > ?

Am I doing something wrong, or is converting from TXT extremely limited?

In trying to convert from TXT to ePub, for instance, the txt simply gets wrapped with html and body tags.

As a result, the ePub has absolutely no paragraphs.

Is this the expected behaviour?

My (unreasonable?) expection is that during the conversion to HTML, Calibre would convert hard-returns (or double hard-returns) to html paragraphs.

What I'd really like to see is roughly round-tripping : Take an ePub, save the content as text, run that text through Calibre and have an ePub that at least resembles the original. In this scenario, Calibre would process the text looking for Keywords like "Chapter" etc, and at least add a header tag to them during the html conversion, before converting to ePub.

So, what should I expect from Calibre when converting a TXT file to another format?

John Murphy
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Conversion with txt as the input format should have the text run though markdown and it should be creating paragraphs. It should also unwrap hard line broken paragraphs. Open a bug at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net and attach the text file so I don't forget to look into it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
jmurphy
Zealot
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It should also unwrap hard line broken paragraphs.
How does Calibre unwrap hardline broke paragraphs?

Or, more to the point: How does Calibre recognize paragraphs in TXT files? Is it expecting double spacing? The TXT file I tested with only had single spacing...

John
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy View Post
How does Calibre unwrap hardline broke paragraphs?

Or, more to the point: How does Calibre recognize paragraphs in TXT files? Is it expecting double spacing? The TXT file I tested with only had single spacing...

John
It recognizes single spaced lines as the same paragraph. All paragraphs are borken by an empty line.

So:

Code:
line1 is right here.
line2  is part of the same paragraph as line1.
Code:
line 1 is it's own.

line2 is also it's own.
It almost sounds like the file is:

Code:
    para
    para
    para
In which case that would be interpreted as all one large paragraph.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
jmurphy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It recognizes single spaced lines as the same paragraph. All paragraphs are borken by an empty line.

So:

Code:
line1 is right here.
line2  is part of the same paragraph as line1.
Code:
line 1 is it's own.

line2 is also it's own.
It almost sounds like the file is:

Code:
    para
    para
    para
In which case that would be interpreted as all one large paragraph.

Not "almost like the file is". As I said, that is exactly the way the file is. Single spaced. Every native Windows based tool I've used uses a single hard return as a paragraph marker.

Is there a way to configure Calibre to recognize a single hard return as a paragraph marker?

Earlier in this thread you mentioned "markdown". What is "markdown"?

John
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Markdown:
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post

So, calibre is pre-processing text with markdown? That's cool. Good for folks to know, they might want to do a quick edit before adding to calibre.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Not "almost like the file is". As I said, that is exactly the way the file is. Single spaced. Every native Windows based tool I've used uses a single hard return as a paragraph marker.
The majority of plain text files it was expected for people to use as are from Project Gutenberg. They all almost all line broken paragraphs with empty lines separating paragraphs. E.G. War and Peace.

Quote:
Is there a way to configure Calibre to recognize a single hard return as a paragraph marker?
Open a ticket requesting that as a feature so I don't forget about it.

Tags
text conversion, text convert, txt conversion, txt convert