Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Question about indexing on basic e-reader

I've noticed that my books and other documents, mainly long magazine articles, are indexed on a delayed schedule. I've been unable to figure out what determines how quickly they are indexed and what factors determine when they are indexed.

Almost all my books are side-loaded, and all my online news and magazine stories are downloaded via "Send to Kindle." I have the basic Touch e-reader released last fall for $79. I still don't know what it's called here. Please don't hijack this thread as happened in an earlier thread of mine with a barely civil dispute about correct terminology. The firmware is 5.6.1.0.2.

Does indexing only occur when the screensaver is on? Does WiFi being off affect indexing? Is there something one can do to force or expedite indexing of an item? Why might one document be indexed quickly while another will still remain unindexed after a day or maybe even longer?

Thanks in advance for any replies to any of these queries.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Indexing happens all the time. Asleep or awake, wifi has nothing to do with it. Sometimes a book gets stuck indexing. Usually, all you can do is re-download it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Indexing baffles me as well. Sometimes a book will take more than 24 hours to index, while others take a minute or two. All my books are straight text, no fancy formatting or images or tables or whatnot. And it's not that some books get stuck and never index. If I wait long enough they do eventually finish indexing -- which leads me to second the OP's questions as to why some books take so long to index while others are quick.

I have a vague impression that indexing goes faster when I put my Kindle to sleep and plug it into AC, but this might just be my imagination. I'm also wondering if indexing goes faster if you only load a couple books at a time rather than large batches at once -- which leads me to another question: To experienced Kindle users: how many books do you consider the maximum number to load at one time? Thx!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-01-2015 at 02:28 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I rarely sideload more than a few at a time. I think the more you do at once, the more likely you'll end up with an indexing problem.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I generally load up 10-20 and most I've ever added in one go is 60. I don't tend to have a lot of books on my ereaders, but when adding bunch I just think 20 is a good number to add so if there is ever any problem with indexing, its easier to see where the problem book is. Don't really see anything wrong with people wanting to add 100 at the one time though, just keep it charging so your battery doesn't drain.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks pidgeon92 and soulfuldog. This is helpful. My old Sonys never did anything like this, so waiting for books to index is strange and new to me.

As I think you've noticed and for anyone else who's interested, I've started a poll to see how many books Kindle peeps usually transfer in one batch: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255250
Old 01-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Thanks for the interesting replies. This is an update to my original post. There was a 10k word document on the Kindle that was not indexed after more than two days. Newer documnets got indexed. It looked like the Kindle had skipped this doc and would never index it unless I deleted it and downloaded it again.

But lo and behold it finally did index it. It indexed it while the Kindle was charging via USB. When I plugged it it into the PC, the Kindle had about a third to a quarter of its charge remaining.

So now I'm wondering: Does the Kindle behave differently when it is running on an external power source? Does it prioritize activities based on the power requirements of a job and delay jobs it deems would consume too much of its remaining battery power?
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 AM   #8
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
...There was a 10k word document on the Kindle that was not indexed after more than two days. Newer documnets got indexed. It looked like the Kindle had skipped this doc and would never index it unless I deleted it and downloaded it again.

But lo and behold it finally did index it. It indexed it while the Kindle was charging via USB. When I plugged it it into the PC, the Kindle had about a third to a quarter of its charge remaining.

So now I'm wondering: Does the Kindle behave differently when it is running on an external power source? Does it prioritize activities based on the power requirements of a job and delay jobs it deems would consume too much of its remaining battery power?
That's really interesting. My impression is that indexing is faster when my Kindle is plugged in to power (in my case, AC not PC) and slows down (or stops?) when the battery level is low. I thought it was my imagination, but your experience suggests it's not.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My experience is certainly that indexing happens a lot faster when the Kindle is connected to a wall charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:15 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+1 for using the charger for speedier indexing. I've no idea if the Kindle prioritises anything, but if a file is poorly formatted it can trip it up and take it a lot longer to index.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote