Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
unrznbl
unrznbl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg and touch
Jailbreak 0.13.N_dxg fails on Kindle DX 2.5.8

I thought I had this working previously so I may have lingering badness on my Kindle. I did a factory defaults reset, uninstall, install, both with ;debugon and then a ;dm after to get logs. The install fails with "not successful" and it seems the pertinent bits of the log are these. I couldn't find any other reference to this /etc/prettyversion.txt patch failure so am posting here with the full log attached.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Attached Files
File Type: txt all_logs as of Thu Feb 20 16.25.12 CST 2020.txt (534.6 KB, 183 views)
unrznbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@unrznbl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
Spoiler alert: you wouldn't have been able to run the uninstall if the install hadn't worked.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
unrznbl

Oh no, thank you for replying! That's just right there in the README.txt. Sorry about that.

The reason I thought it had failed was USBNetworking didn't seem to work. dmesg -w on my debian laptop was not showing the kindle coming up with anything but a mass storage device after I did ~usbnetwork on the kindle.

I will retry with the Jailbreak and USBNetwork at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030. My goal is to get kvncviewer working. It seems all the versions are rather old? 2012? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150434 so maybe I'll grab from the source that was last updated 2015: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
unrznbl

I did Jailbreak uninstall, install, then tried Update_usbnetwork_0.57.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin but found the "Update Your Kindle" greyed out. That is why previously I then tried kindle-usbnetwork-0.57.N-dx.zip from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004, which I'm pretty sure I used before on this same DX and had it working.

Still USBNetworking is not coming up with dmesg -w on two different debian machines (x220 debian 9 and librem 15v3 pureos (debian testing?)).

Did I foul something up somewhere?
Is the snapshot thread USBNetwork hack not expected to work on a DX with 2.5.8 maybe?
Maybe I need to carefully reset, run uninstall of all the thingz I might have installed, then retry?

Thanks again for the reply and all the work y'all.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@unrznbl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Please note that all these packages can only be installed through MRPI (and I strongly recommend using a recent version ), *even* on legacy (<= K4) devices.
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you did have a previous USBNet install, yes, uninstall it, and *wipe* the folder manually, to make sure you start from a working, default config. Don't touch it until you've actually confirmed it works.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
unrznbl

Ah. I misunderstood the process. I thought I could just do Jailbreak, then USBNetworking both with an Update_*_*install.bin via software update.

I'll cleanup and try MRPI.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
unrznbl

Ok. All works great now. I have my local X11 session on debian with x11vnc going to my kindle. Just need to cleanup setup and config and I'll have my nice e-monitor.

Roughly I did: jailbreak, mrpi, mkk, kual, put usbnetwork install bin in /mnt/mrpackages, installed via kual and then used kual to enable/disable.

I'll try and write a blog post about what I did exactly and where I hit snags.

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200221_133403.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	177285  
Old 02-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This site also has an "open to all" type Wiki here.
Which also might be a good place for a blog-like entry.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote