Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
mkberg
mkberg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
epub and kindle format on one eReader?

Hello,
Is there an eReader that will support ePub and Kindle format?
I like my Kindle but it does not have the orange light which is important to me.

Thank you.
mkberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Unless it has just become too late, the current kindle Oasis has orange light and can read EPUB with koreader after jailbreak.

Kobo can read KF7/mobi as well as EPUB.

Android readers can read just about anything.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo cannot read modern Kindle formats. Few Amazon books are in the old mobi format nowadays. And they often come with DRM anyway.

So it's either a jailbroken Oasis or an Android ereader.

Personally I see no need for an all-in-one ereader, as long as there are Apprentices and Calibre. But YMMV.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:26 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkberg View Post
I like my Kindle but it does not have the orange light which is important to me.
None of the conventional eReaders can do it well despite hacks, but EInk Android tablets - from Boyue-Likebook or Onyx-Boox (more expensive):
- 6 in.: Likebook P6 (only white light), Boox Poke 3
-7.8 inches: Likebook P78, Boox Nova 3
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
I have never had the need to read Kindle eBooks in the format they came in. I've always been able to convert them to ePub to read with my Kobo Aura H2O. So as has been said earlier, you do not need one device t read them all.

The hing is, the Kindle firmware is not nearly as good as that of Kobo. The Libra is better because you have many more options. You can use Calibre and the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM from Kindle eBooks (Mobi/KF8). If you read the thread on Kindle for PC/MAC, you'll find out a lot of useful information.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371

Also, a Kindle Oasis costs more and does less then a Kobo Libra H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
As no one has refered the OP to Apprentice Alf, I will: google Apprentice Alf.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
As no one has refered the OP to Apprentice Alf, I will: google Apprentice Alf.
No need for Google. Here's the URL.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
It would be easier to just convert your Kindle format books to ePub with Calibre and Apprentice Alf than it would to find a device that handles both formats.

I buy all of my ebooks from Amazon and convert them to ePub. I don't even own a Kindle.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
It's easier to use an Android eReader with the Kindle app and something else for ePubs. Way easier. You can just buy a book from the device, you don't need to jam a PC in the middle, make sure your Kindle for PC hasn't updated and then sideload the book somehow.

I'll periodically remove DRM from new books I bought and convert to ePub, but to do that EVERY single purchase is the pits. It's even worse if you're like me and you have separate accounts for different countries and need to log in and out of the PC clients to strip DRM. On Android I can just clone the app and have different versions for each one.

I highly recommend an Android eReader like Boox if you routinely buy between Amazon and elsewhere.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I'll periodically remove DRM from new books I bought and convert to ePub, but to do that EVERY single purchase is the pits. It's even worse if you're like me and you have separate accounts for different countries and need to log in and out of the PC clients to strip DRM.
That sounds like an awful lot of work for you personally, but for people who aren't making it difficult for themselves, it's just drag and drop. A matter of seconds.

Way too many ebook vendors have fallen over for me to leave any purchases un-disinfected.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #11
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I trust Amazon and Kobo aren't going to stop selling ebooks and disappear overnight with no warning.

It doesn't take much longer to strip DRM from 1 book vs. 100. The only annoying thing is that Kindle on PC doesn't have a way to batch download. But when you do it every time you have to go to the PC, log in, do all the steps every time for every book. When it's 10PM and I am in bed and want to read the next book in the series I was reading I don't want to get out of bed and hop on the PC to sideload a book. 2 seconds to hit buy in bed and download vs. 5 minutes to go the PC. And god forbid you need to update Calibre because your Kobo updated and yadda yadda.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...When it's 10PM and I am in bed and want to read the next book in the series I was reading I don't want to get out of bed and hop on the PC to sideload a book. 2 seconds to hit buy in bed and download vs. 5 minutes to go the PC. And god forbid you need to update Calibre because your Kobo updated and yadda yadda.
Man, I'm not the most organized person on Earth, but I usually have an inkling that I am nearly finished with the current book I am reading and that it might be a good idea to load the next book on my reader. I typically know this hours, even days before I finish my current book. I know, I must have psychic powers. Just call me Miss Cleo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:37 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I trust Amazon and Kobo aren't going to stop selling ebooks and disappear overnight with no warning.

It doesn't take much longer to strip DRM from 1 book vs. 100. The only annoying thing is that Kindle on PC doesn't have a way to batch download. But when you do it every time you have to go to the PC, log in, do all the steps every time for every book. When it's 10PM and I am in bed and want to read the next book in the series I was reading I don't want to get out of bed and hop on the PC to sideload a book. 2 seconds to hit buy in bed and download vs. 5 minutes to go the PC. And god forbid you need to update Calibre because your Kobo updated and yadda yadda.
If you want to batch download, you could always set your Kindle for PC as the default device.

Weird way to operate. Are you trying to say you don't know you are near the end of the book? That lack of knowledge keeps you from purchasing a few more books then download. strip DRM, update metadata, edit, etc. and then send the new books to your ereader before going to bed. I will admit that I tend to consider most books to be less than a 2 hour read with the average novel of 90,000 words clocking in at 90 minutes so I may be doing this more often that the average ebook reader.

As for needing to update calibre because your Kobo updated? Simply hit the attempt to support new firmware checkbox and enjoy life. So far, I haven't found any issues with that support in any of the Kobo firmware versions I've loaded onto a Kobo ereader.

I do find it funny that you worry about firmware updates that others are complaining should be more frequent. What has it been? Feb. 2021 for the last public firmware update? And Kobo still supports their earlier ereaders other than the Mini with new firmware.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-31-2021 at 10:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:36 AM   #14
salamanderjuice
Guru

Yeah, it's totally weird not to buy books ahead in the series before I've decided I even like the series or know whether I am satisfied with the ending and can stop it there. Truly bizarre.

I also don't meticulously plan out my bedtime reading. Sometimes I read more than I think I will which is enough to finish the current book and then want to start the next one. Wild eh? They should feature me in Ripley's Believe or Not for all this strange stuff I do.

I haven't used a Kobo since last September. It's an example I gave from what's known as the "past" which stretches out beyond Feb. 2021.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I haven't used a Kobo since last September. It's an example I gave from what's known as the "past" which stretches out beyond Feb. 2021.
For me it was not so long ago that I took it out of the cellar to look up something - but that immediately made me put it back there.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen