Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
BuzzB
Enthusiast
BuzzB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Kindle Touch
Update erased collections

I just updated my Kobo Aura to 4.3.8945. Afterwards, all my collections by name showed but all the books within the collections are no longer there. They are on the device but not in any collections.

What happened and what can I do about it? Most of the books were loaded manually onto the Kobo. I've updated before and this never happened.

I tried syncing again and then turned the device on and off and all the collections are gone.

Help.

Last edited by BuzzB; 04-01-2017 at 03:03 AM.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo Aura is not a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If by manually you mean you just dragged & dropped them into the root directory, then arranged collections directly on the device, I'm sorry I don't know of any solutions.

However I do suggest you set up Calibre now, set up your collections there, then use Calibre to manage them in the future.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
BuzzB
Enthusiast
BuzzB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Kindle Touch
Can you provide me with a link to the most professional site instructing me on how to set up Calibre for my collections. Every place I've found is either bad with instructions or if a video almost unwatchable. I'm not very tech oriented. Thank you.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzB View Post
Can you provide me with a link to the most professional site instructing me on how to set up Calibre for my collections. Every place I've found is either bad with instructions or if a video almost unwatchable. I'm not very tech oriented. Thank you.
I followed these.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections

(Well, not exactly; I followed these, but the above link is the most recent version.)

I'm not a programmer/software engineer/whatever. Just a user who can follow directions.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 AM   #6
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Aura is not a tablet.
What does that even mean? Why would you even take the time to write such a useless response? You would have been just as helpful if you mentioned that the moon isn't made of cheese.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
What does that even mean? Why would you even take the time to write such a useless response? You would have been just as helpful if you mentioned that the moon isn't made of cheese.
I understand a little Jon-speak. I think this translates to:

"As the Kobo Aura is not a not tablet, you posted your question in the wrong place. If you had posted it in the main Kobo forum, more people with knowledge of the Kobo e-ink devices would have seen it."

And then, either:

"It would be a good idea to ask a moderator to move the thread."

Or:

"I'll ask a moderator to move the thread for you."

As the thread hasn't been moved, it must be the first one. But, that's good, as I am learning more Jon-speak. Now, if I can just work out what he means when he refers to "clown pants".

davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@BuzzB: Unfortunately, a couple of the recent firmware versions had a bug in them with respect to syncing collections. After the upgrade to one of these firmware versions, the device does a fuller sync. The bug hit during this sync and cleared the collections on the device. A later sync restored the collections and what collections the purchased books are in. But, Kobo does not sync any details about sideloaded books. This means the collection details for sideloaded books was lost, and unless you have a backup of the database cannot be restored.

The bug has been fixed and released. I thought it had been before 4.3.8945, but I might have the wrong release. There have also been a few quick releases recently and I think a few people lost the collections in one release but didn't notice until after the next.

Whenever collections are mentioned, someone will recommend using calibre. We do this because it works and is fairly easy. Though, I'm probably not the person that should be saying that last bit. The links that meera gave are to good instructions. If there is something you don't understand or it doesn't work afterwards, ask and someone will help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have Calibre set to use the Tags and Series columns for managing collections since they already exist and do the job perfectly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I understand a little Jon-speak. I think this translates to:

"As the Kobo Aura is not a not tablet, you posted your question in the wrong place. If you had posted it in the main Kobo forum, more people with knowledge of the Kobo e-ink devices would have seen it."

And then, either:

"It would be a good idea to ask a moderator to move the thread."

Or:

"I'll ask a moderator to move the thread for you."

As the thread hasn't been moved, it must be the first one. But, that's good, as I am learning more Jon-speak. Now, if I can just work out what he means when he refers to "clown pants".

In fairness to Jon's reputation, I confess to having moved the thread from the tablet sub-forum. The redirect has expired.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote