Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #46
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
The notes taken by the new Boox Knote will kind of integrate with some note apps such as Evernote.
"kind of integrate..." "with some apps...."?

I'm rapidly losing faith in any 'news' of updates or fixes for the Max 2 or any other Onyx devices to be honest.
If this week also goes by with little more than rumours and promises without substance I'll be returning my Max 2, never to darken the doors of Onyx again I'm afraid.
With this absence of customer-service £700+ becomes too high a price to pay - what on Earth would happen if the Max 2 were to develop a serious/fatal fault?
I strongly suspect that the answer to that question would be "not much" or indeed "nothing"....

Losing the will to live waiting for any news or help from Onyx...

John B.

Last edited by charliebub; 06-18-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: small addition
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #47
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebub View Post
If this week also goes by with little more than rumours and promises without substance I'll be returning my Max 2, never to darken the doors of Onyx again I'm afraid.
Don't know if you saw this in the other thread:

Quote:
We also talked about the devices with 10.7 "EINK color screens and built-in front light. These have been used in primary schools in China for about a year as part of an educational test project. Over 100,000 of these devices have been built so far. Unfortunately, the price of these devices is currently too high (even higher than the price of Max2), so it is initially not available in the form for the Western market. The actual problem was, for the software development for this project had been assigned about100 Onyx software engineers for several months, so we've had shortages of resources for our own projects lately. Now this project is finally completed and all resources are available again. This also promises faster processing of slightly accumulated task lists from our customers.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...44#post3707844
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #48
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
"kind of integrate..." "with some apps...."?

I'm rapidly losing faith in any 'news' of updates or fixes for the Max 2 or any other Onyx devices to be honest.

Losing the will to live waiting for any news or help from Onyx...

John B.
To be honest, I've no idea what your expectation is. What's your main reason to buy Max2? Book reading? Note taking? Web surfing? Monitor? Customer service?

If you are expecting a nice note taking app, the new knote will meet most of your needs.

If you are expecting smooth note taking in 3rd-party apps, return your device. Unless Onyx gets permission, they won't touch a single code in any 3rd-party app.

As far as I know, after they release the new knote, they are going to optimize note taking experience in Neo2.

As an E ink (13.3) user, I have to say I have no other choice other than Onyx. Sony? NO! Even though I DO want a lighter device. It's a very small market, not many users, no sufficient competition. E ink users don't have many choices as smart phone users. Apple, Samsung, Huawei, etc.

Last edited by cqman; 06-18-2018 at 09:57 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #49
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Home-brewed Kindle removed animated page turn. At your own risk.

http://45.77.14.57/s/kindle.4.10.0.8...ation.0330.zip

The download link will be expired at the end of this month.
Doesn't the one in the store already have animation disabled?
What's the purpose of this one?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #50
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
To be honest, I've no idea what your expectation is. What's your main reason to buy Max2? Book reading? Note taking? Web surfing? Monitor? Customer service?
For the price (up there with the iPad) I am expecting a less self-contained device. Either through *better* integration of the built-in apps with popular services (Onenote/Evernote/Dropbox/Onedrive/Pocket/Instapaper/Office) or through companion apps on mobile/tablet/PC and syncing capabilities.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #51
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

If you are expecting a nice note taking app, the new knote will meet most of your needs.

If you are expecting smooth note taking in 3rd-party apps, return your device. Unless Onyx gets permission, they won't touch a single code in any 3rd-party app.

As far as I know, after they release the new knote, they are going to optimize note taking experience in Neo2.

As an E ink (13.3) user, I have to say I have no other choice other than Onyx. Sony? NO! Even though I DO want a lighter device. It's a very small market, not many users, no sufficient competition. E ink users don't have many choices as smart phone users. Apple, Samsung, Huawei, etc.
My expectations are those abilities advertised for the Max 2 - the ability to take and manage notes and to read and to a limited extent annotate/edit PDF documents - no more-no less.
As I said in my earlier posts I have a 'full-blown' laptop for web browsing, image editing, video viewing/editing etc. I did not buy the Max 2 to use as a fully-fledged tablet - but as an e-paper note-taking device.
I have mountains of notes that I make every day during work in my small lab, and the e-paper devices as advertised seemed to satisfy my criteria, which I consider to be few, rather well.

As for the new note being the device to offer me a nice note-taking experience I'm afraid I've already spent £700 on my 'new Max 2'.
I can't afford to chase every new device produced by Onyx, with it's ever-attendant promise/s of improved performance to more closely match those capabilities expected of previously bought devices.
I don't have the finances, time or desire to become a collector of 'not quite right' Onyx devices. I rather naively it would now seem, bought my Max 2 with the expectation that it would be a device that would give me the "nice note taking app" as promised....

John B.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #52
charliebub
Connoisseur

Promises, promises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Don't know if you saw this in the other thread:
Yes, I saw this post, but am using a bought-and-paid-for max 2 for note-taking with a rather shabby software suite. I don't buy products expecting to have to follow a trail of promises of improvements that never seem to materialise before the next 'great device' is released.

The basic problem being that we're continually promised fixes and updates that don't happen or simply don't work....

That latest post to which we are referring has no value to me beyond words on my screen - my Max 2 still freezes, loses notes and locks-up while I'm trying to make notes with it.
Seeing is believing and so far I've read numerous statements of 'good things to come', but haven't actually seen anything happen....

John B.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #53
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
but as an e-paper note-taking device.
I have mountains of notes that I make every day during work in my small lab, and the e-paper devices as advertised seemed to satisfy my criteria, which I consider to be few, rather well.

John B.
Gotcha.

It's obvious that Onyx boasted about its note-taking function (stability specifically) when advertising.

When Boox Note hit the market, reMarkable was the best device for note-taking in general though it has lots of sucks as well. Someone in this forum bought Max2 for reading and reMarkable for note-taking.

As I said before in previous post, the new Boox Knote will be faster, more stable and much more convenient than the old one.

Counting down for Boox Knote. 3-2-1

Last edited by cqman; 06-20-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #54
charliebub
Connoisseur

Quote:
Gotcha.

It's obvious that Onyx boasted about its note-taking function (stability specifically) when advertising.

When Boox Note hit the market, reMarkable was the best device for note-taking in general though it has lots of sucks as well. Someone in this forum bought Max2 for reading and reMarkable for note-taking.

As I said before in previous post, the new Boox Knote will be faster, more stable and much more convenient than the old one.

Counting down for Boox Knote. 3-2-1
So the solution is to wait and pay another £500+ for the new note which we think will work - and what do I do with the max 2 - write-off the £700 paid for it?
When I ordered the Max 2 in good faith, I thought that it would work....
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #55
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
So the solution is to wait and pay another £500+ for the new note which we think will work - and what do I do with the max 2 - write-off the £700 paid for it?
When I ordered the Max 2 in good faith, I thought that it would work....
I could be wrong, but I believe cqman is referring to the new notetaking app, which I understand is a total rewrite of the app that is on the Boox Note/Max 2 now. I've seen posts explaining that the new app works much better than the existing one and will be available to Boox Note/Max 2 owners as a free software upgrade. I think the update is scheduled to be released near the end of June?

(Like you, my attitude is seeing is believing, but I am hopeful.)
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #56
charliebub
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe cqman is referring to the new notetaking app, which I understand is a total rewrite of the app that is on the Boox Note/Max 2 now. I've seen posts explaining that the new app works much better than the existing one and will be available to Boox Note/Max 2 owners as a free software upgrade. I think the update is scheduled to be released near the end of June?

(Like you, my attitude is seeing is believing, but I am hopeful.)
Ahhhh... is it a case of "new note" meaning 'new note-taking app'? I see what you mean my friend. The only option we really have is I suppose to wait & see as you say. Well, wait until the end of June it must be then... but I won't be holding my breath....
One thing I know for certain, this is the last Onyx product I will ever buy - disappointing thing to say but there it is.

John B.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #57
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Yes, I saw this post, but am using a bought-and-paid-for max 2 for note-taking with a rather shabby software suite. I don't buy products expecting to have to follow a trail of promises of improvements that never seem to materialise before the next 'great device' is released.
Sorry, I guess my post wasn't as clear as it could have been.

The part that I was focused on was the part which I had bolded which was about the 100 Onyx software engineers now being freed up to work on the backlog of bugs and requests with their current devices.

I had included the other information in the quote merely for context. I doubt that a colour model will be coming on the market any time soon, and I fully agree with you that it is unreasonable to expect consumers of expensive devices to be continually shelling out more money for newer models because their existing devices are not being serviced with updates. My Windows 7 laptop still receives updates and it must be close to 10 years old.

But updates can take time to roll out. Certainly, that has been the case with my Kobos. And I have yet to buy a computing device that hasn't needed an update at some stage to fix bugs within the software.

It's only been a few months since I've had my Note. As an early adopter, I fully expected there to be some bugs in the software. I also expected that it would take time to work them out. It seems like this is about to happen. Time will tell.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #58
charliebub
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Sorry, I guess my post wasn't as clear as it could have been.

The part that I was focused on was the part which I had bolded which was about the 100 Onyx software engineers now being freed up to work on the backlog of bugs and requests with their current devices.

I had included the other information in the quote merely for context. I doubt that a colour model will be coming on the market any time soon, and I fully agree with you that it is unreasonable to expect consumers of expensive devices to be continually shelling out more money for newer models because their existing devices are not being serviced with updates. My Windows 7 laptop still receives updates and it must be close to 10 years old.

But updates can take time to roll out. Certainly, that has been the case with my Kobos. And I have yet to buy a computing device that hasn't needed an update at some stage to fix bugs within the software.

It's only been a few months since I've had my Note. As an early adopter, I fully expected there to be some bugs in the software. I also expected that it would take time to work them out. It seems like this is about to happen. Time will tell.
I agree - time will indeed tell. Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now and remaining hopeful if not marginally optimistic...... gulp.

The Max 2 is so nearly acceptable - a shame but we'll see!

John B.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #59
cqman
Groupie

Boox Knote released with new system update (1.9.0) for both Note and Max2.

If I set my language setting to English, I can't get the update prompt. If I switch it to Chinese, new update available.

I guess the update depends on your language setting, IP address and the Mac address (or serial number) of your device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621 16-26-54.png
Views:	220
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	164587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180621_161516_result.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	164588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180621_162105_result.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	164589  
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #60
cqman
Groupie

Tested Evernote integration. It works well.

Save (Boox Knote)- Sync (PC) - Done. Very convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621 19-09-13.png
Views:	265
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	164590  

Last edited by cqman; 06-21-2018 at 07:23 AM.