Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle Fire loses ground while Apple and Samsung gain, latest report suggests

According to the latest MobileSTAT reports from Jumptap, Apple is still the dominating force in the tablet market, while Samsung continues to make gains. Unfortunately for Amazon, the Kindle Fire loses ground by a hefty 11.4 percent (from previously 21.5 percent to 10.1 percent).

From the press release:

Quote:
Apple continues to hold the top spot in tablet market share, but its chief competitor in the smartphone sector, Samsung, is starting to make a run. The Samsung Galaxy Tab jumped 5.8 percentage points in market share year-over-year. Meanwhile, Kindle Fire, which was the hottest challenger to Apple after Christmas 2011, has cooled down, losing 11.4 percentage points in market share. Additionally, Google’s Nexus is finally on the radar after releasing three generations of its first tablet in just one year.
While Amazon is currently selling the Kindle Fire as certified refurbished marked down from $239 to $179, we predict that once the new Fire generation hits the market, its total market share is likely to grow again.

Related: Rumor: Next-gen Kindle Fire HD 8.9" aka KFAPWA benchmark leak, Kindle Fire HD: More leaked benchmarks; codenamed Soho, Thor and Apollo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Fire_Share_Drops_Jumptap_Aug_MobileSTAT.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	109782  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I'm not surprised. I don't see what's the appeal of an Amazon tablet, they're heavily skinned and OS updates are hard to come by, if at all. You're better off with a Nexus tablet, unless you're into the minority that root and install a custom ROM - and even then, with the price of the Nexus devices, there's little reason for that.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm not surprised. I don't see what's the appeal of an Amazon tablet, they're heavily skinned and OS updates are hard to come by, if at all. You're better off with a Nexus tablet, unless you're into the minority that root and install a custom ROM - and even then, with the price of the Nexus devices, there's little reason for that.
To be fair, the next-gen Kindle Fire HD device, if the rumors turn out to be true, is quite the power tablet. If it's going to be competitively priced, I can see why it can be successful.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The friends I have who own Fire's primarily use them for Amazon video. The only other option they would have is an iPad (for HD Amazon video on a tablet).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The Fire HD 7 works for me because of the content and the $159 package price. With a launcher and side-loaded Google Play apps, I have no need to root it. Wrapped in an OtterBox case, it's my go to device for work and visits to family and friends. The screen is beautiful, the speakers quite loud, and the OtterBox provides front screen protection and a built-in multi-angle stand.

It's this overall package that won me over.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Kindle sales are strongly seasonal and peak in the holiday season, bottoming out in the summer. Not surprised to see FIRE follow suit.
I'd expect the number to go back up by early next year.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
I think the percentage of people who consider the Fire skinned is nearly as small as the percentage of people who load a new rom. Most who choose a Fire are not interested in roms, rooting, skins, or android. They want a small, portable, inexpensive device that has lots of free apps, games, and books.

Given how carefully guarded tablet sales figures are, I wondered what the basis for the proclamation was. Per the linked page...

Quote:
Reporting Methodology
The Jumptap MobileSTAT reports mine large quantities of network data to identify targeting and audience trends. Jumptap uses proprietary algorithms to analyze and normalize the data. In some cases, when sufficient conditions are met, subsets of data may have been used as proxies to represent the overall network.
They ain't sayin'

Proprietary algorithms applied to subsets of network data. LOL.

Another blogger says Apple has lost 14% of market share in 2013...

Note the source at the bottom of the graph -- more made up data.

BTW, except for the numbers, the two speculations do not argue. Apple could, in fact, continue to be dominate even as it loses double digit market share annually. Know who else does that? Microsoft. Nothing to see here, just move along.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Last I read Android tablets were crushing Apple

source

67% android
28.3% apple
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Those are SHIPMENTS though, not SALES.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Those are SHIPMENTS though, not SALES.
Actually the bottom is the marketshare.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Last I read Android tablets were crushing Apple

source

67% android
28.3% apple
I do believe that the point of this thread related to HARDWARE manufacturers and not to OS systems - Android do not make any hardware...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I do believe that the point of this thread related to HARDWARE manufacturers and not to OS systems - Android do not make any hardware...
I'm just pointing out all the talk off Apple is the dominating force is poppycock I quote

Quote:
Apple is still the dominating force in the tablet market
Also Android/Google do make hardware their behind the Nexus range and own Motorola.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I'm just pointing out all the talk off Apple is the dominating force is poppycock I quote

Also Android/Google do make hardware their behind the Nexus range and own Motorola.
Denying facts is actually poppycock but I'll grant it could be because you don't understand the posted tables with one related to OS and the other physical tablets (not the same thing)...

Simple fact - Apple shipped more tablets than any other individual manufacturer - Android is on more tablets but they come from many different manufacturers... even the table you posted says OS shipments!!! Personally I reckon 42.7% of tablets sold and hence 57.3% spread across all the other manufacturers (whether Android or other OS), still gives Apple a fairly dominant position especially as they actually make money on their sales...

And Google made so many tablets that they just got dumped in "Other."
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm just pointing out all the talk off Apple is the dominating force is poppycock
Why? According to the figures supplied they have double the market share of their nearest rival (Apple 42%, Samsung 21%). That sounds like a pretty dominant position to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why? According to the figures supplied they have double the market share of their nearest rival (Apple 42%, Samsung 21%). That sounds like a pretty dominant position to me.
And these figures are from Jumptap aka Millennial Media who are an advertising company I'd like to know exactly how they come up with those figures especially as a lot of android browsers use Desktop or Safari iPad as browser user agents.

That said I have no problem believing Apple sells more 10" tablets than anyone else, I guess it's dependent on how Jumptap defines tablet. Apples could certainly not be claimed to be dominating tablets though with a 26% declining marketshare.