Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #121
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Just a reminder that Samhain Publishing is going out of business on February 28th, and have put their entire DRM-free direct-buy catalogue on 50% off sale, available worldwide.

While best known for romance, they also have a strong horror selection with many backlist authors and reprints, and a scattering of perfectly cromulent mystery & science fiction & fantasy (mostly urban fantasy) series which are not primarily romance-oriented but contain varying degrees of romantic elements.

For plot-heavy adventures with only mild romantic elements, I'd personally recommend:
  • Sierra Dean's Secret McQueen urban fantasy series starring a part-werewolf/part-vampire bounty hunter (the love triangle is not particularly prominent and handled in an unusual and low-key manner). We've previously gotten the 1st-in-series free, and it was a fun series that I sporadically kept up with whenever they had holiday discount sales.
  • Alex Beecroft's Under the Hill historical fantasy crossover duology is quite good, and skips between WWII and the present day, due to time loss from faerie kidnapping and invasions. I quite enjoyed this when I bought it on impulse several years ago. The romance in it is m/m, and not obtrusive.
  • Sheryl Nantus' Blaze of Glory superhero series is also a 1st-in-series freebie that I read and enjoyed. It's been a while, but IIRC, there may not have actually been any actual romantic subplot in the 1st book (I bought but have not read the later ones), just f/m flirting, and the entire trilogy follows the adventures of the same superheroine as her team goes on missions.
All three of these series were pretty low on relationship drama when I read them, and had solid case stories which would have fit in well if they'd belonged to a dedicated sfnal imprint's line.

For a plot-centric series with stronger romantic elements, Lynne Connolly's Richard & Rose series of historical mystery/suspense set in the Georgian era, starring the titular f/m couple as amateur sleuths, have also been a 1st-in-series freebie. It seemed fairly good when I tried the freebie years ago and ended up buying further volumes on sale, though I have not gotten around to reading them yet. This had rather more (and somewhat annoying) relationship drama, but a solid mystery plot that it didn't detract from.

I haven't read, but have seen highly recommended by others the following two urban fantasy series: Frank Tuttle's The Markhat Files starring the eponymous magical P. I., for which we've gotten the 1st-in-series free, and K. J. Charles' A Charm of Magpies, which is a Victorian paranormal investigative mystery series with m/m romantic elements, for which there is a short story still currently free.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #122
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bundle of Holding has an interesting new offer which is a departure from their usual tabletop RPG gamebooks:

Designers, Dragons, and More consists of non-fiction about the history and design of games and player culture.

The prize draw in this is the 4-volume Designers & Dragons, which was a Kickstarter-funded history of D&D and spinoffs and imitator RPG games and the gaming industry throughout the decades, for which you can download a substantial preview chapter about TSR (Wikipedia, one of the major companies) on the publisher's website. Apparently there was a whole bunch of entertaining backstabbing drama going on in the industry, according to some of the reviews.

There's also a history of the gaming convention GenCon (Wikipedia), and some books where designers discuss their top 100 hobby and family games (not just RPGs, but also including classic board games).

This seems pretty interesting even though I personally don't do tabletop RPG, but I really like micro-histories, so I splurged. Top-tier is currently under $19, and there doesn't seem to be a way to top up the lower pledge for the basic level, so be sure which one you want, and the 4 Designers & Dragons books are available in an ePub/Mobi/AZW3/PDF bundle, while the others are PDF only.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-27-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #123
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's for:

Humble Audiobook Bundle Doctor Who & Torchwood presented by Big Finish chock-full of licensed tie-in series-continuation episodes and also some unlockable bonus content for a free-to-play Android RPG game.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new titles added next week).

Quote:
This bundle is bigger on the… well, you know. Big Finish is back with more audiobooks, and this time we "Doctor"ed the formula to add Torchwood, too! You'll find Torchwood: The Conspiracy, starring John Barrowman; Doctor Who: Destiny of the Doctor, an audiobook series composed of eleven linked stories; and lots more. We've also included the Doctor Who: Legacy game, with a special code to unlock favorite Doctors and sweet costumes!
Last week's Humble Comics Bundle IDW Creators Showcase is still available, and looks like it's added volumes #5-7 of Sam Kieth's Maxx series (#3-4 are in the $10 tier) and some issues of a Frankenstein continuation to the $5 tier.

StoryBundle has a new offering for:

The Lovecraft Bundle curated by Nick Mamatas (ISFDB), a former editor of Clarkesworld Magazine, full of assorted sfnal/horror works based on the work of H. P Lovecraft.

Highlights include a World Fantasy Award-winning anthology, and some assorted award-nominated backlist work.

$5 minimum gets you 6 titles (including 2 anthologies)

$15 top tier adds an additional 6 titles (I'm surprised it's not 7, to make an unlucky number 13), including 2 single-author collections and 2 more anthologies

Their previous mostly-sfnal Escapist and Steampunk (ending in a day or so) bundles are still available.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for: Space: 1889 containing the reprints of some vintage retro Victorian steampunk spaceflight setting.

Their previous bundles for the non-fiction history & design of gaming Designers, Dragons & More and the popular sci-fi setting Classic BattleTech are still available for a limited time.

And don't forget to check out the annual Smashwords Read An Ebook Week sale, which often has many good backlist reprints and new works by established authors for free or at deep discounts, which MR members have been discovering in the dedicated forum thread.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-08-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #124
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's an excellent one for:

Humble Book Bundle Women of Science Fiction & Fantasy presented by Open Road Media, chock-full of their quality backlist reprint offerings.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8 (more new titles added next week), $15. Needless to say, this is an auto-buy for me.

Once again, the blurb doesn't describe the contents, but there's some really good stuff by the late Octavia Butler, Jane Yolen (one of my favourites of hers which I actually bought on $1.99 sale about a month back, and still consider worth having gotten even though I could have gotten it subsidized to effectively “free” if I'd waited), Robin McKinley (ahahaha… one I missed the sale for, so I really am getting it “free”), Elizabeth Hand, and more.

Quote:
Her story. We hit the Open Road again – this time, to bring some of their most stunning science fiction and fantasy books right to your doorstep. Go ahead! Try a new world on for size. The words are by women, and the stories are for you.
Last week's Humble Audiobook Bundle Doctor Who & Torchwood presented by Big Finish is still available.

Just a reminder that StoryBundle's Escapist Bundle full of mostly sfnal adventure-ish fiction expires in the next couple of days. Their Lovecraft Bundle full of H. P. Mythos-inspired works, still has a while to go.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for Changeling: The Lost containing some sort of fae-based fantasy campaign for Chronicle of Darkness. Previous bundles for Space: 1889 steampunk and Designers, Dragons & More non-fiction history/design of gaming are still available for a limited time.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #125
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
On the Doctor Who audiobooks Humble Bundle have added the 4 "I, Davros" books, about the Kaled/Thal war pre-dalek.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #126
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, with a very nice-looking selection of non-fiction in:

Humble Book Bundle History presented by AP, full of titles from the Associated Press news service (we've previously gotten a few freebies from them in the past, at least one of which is in this bundle).

Mainly tilted towards politically-important events and personages (some of them current events), but some science and social/cultural history as well. IIRC, AP books mainly consist of collected period articles with extra commentary placing them in context.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8 (extra titles added next week), and $15.

Once again, the contents blurb has stopped describing the titles you get at each tier.

Quote:
A truly historical bundle. Stop the presses! AP Books is here with a collection of epic nonfiction for your enjoyment n' education. Remember, kids: If you don't know history...
Last week's excellent Humble Book Bundle Women of Science Fiction & Fantasy presented by Open Road Media has added another 1st-in-series Octavia Butler title and a World Fantasy Award-winning collection from Nalo Hopkinson to the middle tier.

StoryBundle has a new offering, good through the next 3 weeks, for:

The Rogue Souls Bundle containing non-fiction about games, gaming, game design, and game design history.

$5 minimum gets you 4 titles, including a set of interviews about game audio design which was conducted for a documentary, and written by someone who's also done academic books about gaming for MIT Press and Ashgate (I have some of their cultural social studies titles).

$15 top tier adds 6 more titles, including 2 histories of early video game design which may interest regular computer programmers (one apparently goes over a lot of early bugs and how they were handled with limited resources, the other includes a lot of interviews with 1980s-era computer lab hackers), as well as an unofficial companion for the apparently cult-classic titular Rogue Souls game.

Their previous The Lovecraft Bundle containing sfnal works (including some backlist award-nominees) directly influenced by or paying homage to the works of H. P. Lovecraft is still available for another week or so.

Bundle of Holding's new tabletop RPG gamebook offering is for Traveller20 containing an updated of some classic science fiction game setting. Previous bundles for Changeling: The Lost, a fantasy campaign for White Wolf's Chronicles of Darkness setting, and Space: 1889, a hybrid Victorian-era sci-fantasy, are still available for a limited time.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #127
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle The Horus Heresy presented by Black Library, featuring assorted mostly novels, audio dramas, comics, and other items which tie into the popular Warhammer 40,000 (Wikipedia) sci-fantasy hybrid RPG.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new titles added next week). We've previously received the Horus Rising novel by Dan Abnett as a freebie several years ago, in case you wanted to read it through before splurging. Though compared to the prices these things seem to go for normally in the iTunes store, this bundle seems really cheap if you want the tie-in materials at all.

Quote:
Stop. Warhammer time. Black Library is here, and it's just as awesome as it sounds. We put together some of the best titles from their series The Horus Heresy, so if you want to learn about the galaxy-spanning civil war that happened 10,000 years before Games Workshop's epic game Warhammer 40,000, you've come to the right bundle.
Last week's Humble Bundle History presented by Associated Press has added two more titles to the middle tier.

StoryBundle also has a new offering for:

The A. I. Bundle curated by Lisa Mason (ISFDB, Wikipedia; I've read a few of her books and enjoyed them), full of backlist and newer titles with contributors including Walter Jon Williams, Linda Nagata, James Patrick Kelly (I've always really liked his short story “Think Like a Dinosaur” which was adapted into a The Outer Limits revival episode), and others.

$5 minimum gets you 4 backlist novels (one a New York Notable book) and an anthology with stories in it by Pat Cadigan and William Gibson.
$15 top tier adds an additional 4 novels (2 backlist) and another anthology.

Their Lovecraft Bundle full of sfnal works based on or inspired by the assorted stories/mythos of H. P. is still available for another day, and also available for a while longer is their Rogue Souls Bundle containing non-fiction titles about video gaming.

Bundle of Holding has a new RPG gamebook offering for Advanced Fighting Fantasy, an updated 2nd edition of a popular setting by British game designers Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone from the 1980s. Previous bundles for the science fiction Traveller20 and White Wolf Chronicles of Darkness campaign Changeling: The Lost are still available for a limited time.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-29-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #128
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle Python presented by No Starch Press featuring an assorted of DIY computer programming titles for the titular language from the popular tech-specialty publisher, some of them kid/newbie friendly, others on more advanced topics.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new titles added next week). It's a slim selection this time around, with only 3 titles per tier (but computer programming books are generally not cheap anyway). A good chunk of this consist of repeats from previous assorted bundles, but it looks like there's enough new books to be worth it, especially if you skipped some of the previous bundles.

Quote:
We could squeeze this bundle, we love it so much. No Starch Press is back, and they brought a bundle of Python titles. They're all ebooks, so you can read them anywhere you like – no constrictions.
Last week's Humble Book Bundle The Horus Heresy presented by Black Library, featuring tie-ins to the popular Warhammer 40,000 RPG franchise, is still available.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for: Heavy Gear, a milSF game set in the 62nd century. Previous offers for Advanced Fighting Fantasy, an updated version of a classic 1980s game, and the science fiction adventure Traveller20 are still available for a limited time.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #129
ATDrake
Wizzard

X-links to a few recent DRM-free bargains posted in the genre megathreads @ 99 cents each:
  • Rift and Implied Spaces, 2 backlist science fiction novels (plus a freebie short story) by Nebula Award-winning author Walter Jon Williams, available via Smashwords and distributed to the usual retailers worldwide
  • The City of Blood a translated mystery novel by Quai des Orfèvres prize-winning French author Frédérique Molay, on sale only in US & UK via Amazon Countdown (only the 3rd novel is DRM-free, the others in the series are all DRMed)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #130
ATDrake
Wizzard

StoryBundle has a new and rather nice offering for:

The SFWA Science Fiction Bundle, chock-full of contributions from assorted members of the Science Fiction Writers of America (who, as you know, give out the Nebula Awards each year).

It's an eclectic but nice-looking selection, with backlist offerings from multiple award-winning Canadian author (and fellow MR member) Robert J. Sawyer (I quite liked the novel that's included), Linda Nagata (a prequel to her Nanotech Succession trilogy, whose 1st book was on sale a few weeks back as well as also being included in SB's AI bundle), and many more.

$5 minimum gets you 6 titles (2 backlist novels originally out from Tor & ROC, 3 small press novels, 1 mini-anthology of Japanese writers)
$15 top tier gets you an additional 6 titles (3 backlist novels from Baen & Tor & Bantam Spectra, 2 anthologies, and 1 “survey guide” to the CoDominion MilSF universe co-created by Jerry Pournelle)

Their previous bundles for Artificial Intelligence (more quality backlist SF) and Rogue Souls (video game design & programming & history-focused non-fiction) are still available for a few more days.

Also a reminder that the Humble Book Bundle The Horus Heresy presented by Black Library, containing all sorts of supplements to the popular Warhammer sci-fantasy RPG franchise, including tie-in novels, audiobook dramatizations, an artbook, comics issues, and discount coupons for the games, expires later today at 11 AM Pacific Time, in case you were on the fence about getting it.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #131
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's a nice-looking one for:

Humble Book Bundle Brandon Sanderson featuring assorted novels and related tie-in works by the eponymous Hugo Award-winning sfnal author (ISFDB, Wikipedia), including said Hugo Award-winning novel, and a few things branching out into sfnal detective mystery and horror, for a change of genre.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new titles added next week). This includes novels and novellas by Sanderson, audiobook readings of them, graphic novel adaptations, and the RPG gaming tie-in supplements for his popular worlds.

Quote:
Brandon Sanderson's the man. So we're bringing you a bundle of some of his highlights – and some lesser-known titles, too. Some are audiobooks and some are ebooks, but all are awesome.
Last week's Humble Book Bundle Python presented by No Starch Press, full of DIY computer programming books for the popular language, is still available.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for: Champions 4E Essentials & Champions 4E Universe, updating an old school superhero game dating from 1989. Still available for a limited time are: Heavy Gear, a milSF game set in the 62nd century, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, an updated version of a classic 1980s game.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #132
ATDrake
Wizzard

Humble Book Bundle Save the Unicorns presented by renowned fantasy author Peter S. Beagle (ISFDB, Wikipedia) of The Last Unicorn fame.

Even if you're not really into unicorns, this is an excellent selection with quality authors such as SFWA Grandmasters Jane Yolen & Poul Anderson, World Fantasy Award-winning Patricia McKillip, Michael Bishop (his Mythopoeic Prize-winning novel is included), A. A. Attanasio, Alan Dean Foster, Peter S. Beagle himself, and more (including three anthologies), with both backlist and newly-written works.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, and $15 (no new titles added next week).

Quote:
The loveliest of all was the unicorn. While the legendary unicorn may or may not exist, the fate of many of nature’s most beautiful creatures remains uncertain. Fortunately, there is still time to both celebrate the unicorn and chip in to save endangered wildlife. And what better way than through the magical guidance of our foremost unicorn expert? We're partnering with beloved fantasy author Peter S. Beagle (The Last Unicorn) to offer unicorn ebooks and protect the wilderness.
Last week's Humble Book Bundle Brandon Sanderson is still available. NB: as fellow MR member maddz has noted in the SF/Fantasy megathread, a number of the titles are unavailable in the UK, presumably due to the distribution rights apparently being owned by Orion's Gateway imprint.

StoryBundle's new offering is for:

The Write Stuff Bundle 2017 curated by former Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction editor and successful multi-genre author in her own right Kristine Kathryn Rusch (ISFDB, Wikipedia) containing creative and professional advice for aspiring authors.

$5 minimum gets you 4 titles, including one crime-writing guide by Mystery Writers of America Grand Master Lawrence Block (SYKM, Wikipedia)

$15 top tier adds 5 more titles, 1 set of video lectures, and 2 discount coupons for writing software

Expiring in the next few days is their A. I Bundle full of artificial intelligence-related backlist and new sfnal works from established authors, and there's still some time to go on their SFWA Science Fiction Bundle.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is Rocket Age, a repeat of an older bundle for the science fiction game from Cubicle 7 for those who missed it last year. Still available for a limited time are: Champions 4E Essentials & Champions 4E Universe, updating an old school superhero game dating from 1989. Still available for a limited time are: Heavy Gear, a milSF game set in the 62nd century.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #133
ATDrake
Wizzard

Book View Café has rotated their monthly special offerings, with assorted offerings at 99 cents. Highlights include:
  • The Reckoners by Doranna Durgin (ISFDB), a 1st-in-series paranormal ghost hunter fantasy originally published by Tor.
  • Jaydium by Deborah J. Ross (ISFDB), a standalone science fiction novel originally published by DAW using the penname Deborah Wheeler.
  • Walking Contradiction and Other Stories by Nancy Jane Moore (ISFDB), a collection of previously-published sfnal short stories (the title story appeared in the Pocket Books anthology Imaginings)
There are also newly-written novels from Sara Stamey (ISFDB, an Ace Books author), and Patricia Rice (ISFDB, a Sourcebooks author who specializes in historical paranormal romance), and a 2nd-in-series cozy mystery by Patrice Greenwood (we've previously received the 1st as a freebie).

The Witchy Bundle curated by indie author Steve Vernon, full of witch-related sf/fantasy/horror mostly written by indie authors, with a free book for newsletter subscribers.

$5 minimum for 5 books (including an omnibus edition), $15 top tier gets another 5 books, for a total of 11 titles (including freebie).

Just a reminder that expiring within the next couple of days is their The SFWA Science Fiction Bundle curated by Cat Rambo (ISFDB), containing a solid selection of backlist and newer small press titles from its member authors (many award-winning or nominated, including our very own fellow MR member author Robert J. Sawyer (ISFDB) with his 1999 Hugo finalist novel, Factoring Humanity, which IMHO is one of his better and more interesting ones). And there's still some time to go on their The Write Stuff Bundle 2017 containing professional and creative advice for aspiring authors, curated by former Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction editor and successful author Kristine Kathryn Rusch (ISFDB).

Another reminder that expiring tomorrow on Wednesday at 11 AM Pacific Time is the excellent Humble Book Bundle Save the Unicorns curated by World Fantasy Award-winning author Peter S. Beagle (ISFDB), full of unicorn-themed sf/fantasy/horror titles by prominent sfnal authors, including backlist republished via Open Road Media and frontlist in current publication by Tachyon.

And there's still another week to go on the Humble Comics Bundle Bloom County containing the beloved political satire newspaper strip by Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist Berkley Breathed, which enhances the previous bundle offered years ago with two brand-new collections at the top tier.

Bundle of Holding have added a new RPG gamebook offering: Vampire 20A for the 20th anniversary edition of a classic White Wolf game. They've also added 2 new books to the top-tier of their East Texas University bundle for a college horror campaign in Pinnacle Entertainment's Savage Worlds setting (if you already bought the top tier, the new books are automatically added to your purchase), and the retro-SF adventure Rocket Age from Cubicle 7 is still available for a limited time.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #134
ATDrake
Wizzard

The Noir Bundle curated by Nick Mamatas (ISFDB, Wikipedia), a former co-editor of Clarkesworld magazine, featuring dark crime works from a mix of backlist and indie authors (some with minor publication credits).

The notable draws in this are small press offerings from the late Stephen Knight (Wikipedia), perhaps best known for his non-fiction book about Jack the Ripper, which inspired Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell's graphic novel From Hell, among other works, and the late British novelist and biographer Elizabeth Jenkins (Wikipedia), who've each provided vintage works reprinted with new introductions, which look pretty nifty.

And there are some backlist novels from Scottish Zen monk Barry Graham, from whom we've previously gotten KDP freebies when they were the hot new offering when the program first started several years ago ago, and you might already own in a previous incarnation.

$5 minimum gets you 6 novels, including Jenkins' Prix Femina Vie Heureuse-winning 1934 novel Harriet, which is based on a true crime case (Wikipedia).

$15 minimum gets you another 8 titles, including an anthology of works collected from an online magazine which has published award-nominated writers, and Knight's 1979 historical-period supernatural crime novel set at the turn of the century and harking back to another mysterious case from the 15th century.

As a reminder, their Write Stuff 2017 Bundle full of assorted advice and guidebooks for aspiring authors, covering creative and professional aspects, expires in the next few days, and The Witchy Bundle full of sfnal occultish works from indie authors is also still available.

Humble Bundle has a new game offering which features a promo freebie DRM-free game build preview (Windows and Mac), and two soundtracks, if you're interested:

Humble TinyBuild Bundle contains games from the eponymous developer. The freebie is an alpha preview build of Party Hard 2, apparently the sequel to a game where you cope with your annoying neighbours and their loud music and rowdy guests by becoming a stealth serial killer of many methods , as you do, which you can get for free by downloading directly just above the signup box for the newsletter halfway down the page.

Signing up for the newsletter while logged into your account will also net you the DRM-free music soundtracks for the games No Time to Explain Remastered and Divide by Sheep, which are technically available at the Pay What You Want level, which in this case happens to be “nothing” unless you choose to upgrade later (not gonna lie, the sheep math game looks fun and they helpfully remind you in the blurb that it has parental controls so you can turn off all the blood before you unleash the kiddies upon it).

Expiring later today at 11 AM Pacific Time is the popular Humble Comics Bundle Bloom County presented by IDW Publishing, featuring a nearly-complete collection of the beloved classic satirical newspaper cartoon by Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist Berkeley Breathed. And there's still a week to go on the Humble Comics Bundle Kevin Smith and Friends featuring assorted works by the cult-hit filmmaker, mostly from Dynamite Comics.

Bundle of Holding's new RPG gamebook offering is for Pelgrane Press' traditional D&D-style fantasy game 13th Age. Still available for a limited time are their previous bundles for Vampire 20A, the 20th anniversary edition of a classic White Wolf game and East Texas University, a college horror campaign in Pinnacle Entertainment's Savage Worlds setting.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #135
ATDrake
Wizzard

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's an excellent offering for:

Humble Book Bundle Super Nebula Showcase presented by SFWA, chock-full of assorted works by the members of the Science Fiction Writers of America, which were nominated for or won the SFWA's annual Nebula Awards, or by authors who were, mostly from sfnal specialty small presses Small Beer, Tachyon, Prime, WordFire (imprint of Star Wars tie-in novelist Kevin J. Anderson), Night Shade, Subterranean, and others, with a sprinkling of backlist works picked up by Open Road Media and adaptations by comics publisher IDW.

Fixed tiers of $1, $8, $15, and $20, with fiction, non-fiction, and graphic novels from many writers you'll recognize such as George R. R. Martin, the late Octavia E. Butler, Harlan Ellison, comic book stories in tribute to the late Ray Bradbury (author of this month's MR Book Club selection Fahrenheit 451, in case you wanted to join in on the discussion), Neil Gaiman, Isaac Asimov, Nancy Kress, Connie Willis, Nnedi Okorafor, Martha Wells, Mary Robinette Kowal, Adam Troy-Castro (I've always liked what I read of his short stories and he offers a collection in this), John Scalzi, and many more.

I've read the Nebula-winning Elizabeth Ann Scarborough novel in this from a long-ago Fictionwise purchase, which was pretty good, IMHO. And I have a paper copy of the Jane Yolen collection, which is also quite good, IIRC. And the Nancy Kress collection which I bought years ago is also up to her usual standard of “very good indeed” if you like consequences of genetic engineering-type stories.

Several titles are repeats from previous small press sfnal bundles and publisher discount offers, but it's well worth it, and an auto-buy for me at the top tier, even though I think I already own about a 3rd of it in one form or another. And there's also a freebie offer for a Android/iDevice app loaded with 31 short stories from the 2016 Nebula nominees.

Quote:
The sky's no limit anymore. Enter the Super Nebula bundle, a star-studded compilation of some of the best works of speculative fiction ever published. Every year, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America presents the prestigious Nebula Awards® for the best literary and dramatic fiction. We've collected many of the nominees and winning authors from years past, so go ahead – launch your imagination into the unknown. In this bundle, nothing is impossible!

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Tags
drm-free ebook