Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
I don't know about this Adobe thing, but I guess this means that, whether cybooks get the possibility to read drm'd epub ebooks or not, there's no way this will work for people with a linux computer, right?
Windows ADE apparently runs under Wine, see Css Drop Caps does not work in an Epub on a Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #32
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
In fact, it runs pretty much perfectly under Wine, including displaying DRMed content. I haven't tested this, but it might even be possible to buy DRMed content under Wine.

What you can't do though is use it to transfer content to a device. At this time Wine has no support for the Windows USB APIs. :-/
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
I don't know about this Adobe thing, but I guess this means that, whether cybooks get the possibility to read drm'd epub ebooks or not, there's no way this will work for people with a linux computer, right?
The original press release for DE 1.0 said that there would be a Linux version available second half of 2007... but the current Sys Requirements page for DE only list Windows/Mac support.

You might want to email adobe and ask. Or perhaps the Adobe employee that is on MR will see this an comment.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
In fact, it runs pretty much perfectly under Wine, including displaying DRMed content. I haven't tested this, but it might even be possible to buy DRMed content under Wine.

What you can't do though is use it to transfer content to a device.
It is the buying (actually downloading) of content that is important. Once the file is on your desktop it can be copied to the Gen3 by treating it as a USB drive.

The other important one-time step is authorizing the Gen3 on an Adobe account. Given the lack of USB support in Wine, I assume that will have to be done (once) from a Windows or Mac PC. Note that the Sony's can only be authorized from Windows, so Bookeen seems to be going the extra mile.

All this only matters if Adobe Secure ebooks are involved. So it seems likely that Bookeen is going to add a 2nd DRM type to the Gen3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Mobile Phones and PDAs have no problem supporting more than one format so obviously other types of contracts are available for some devices at least.
The restriction appears to be on "pre-installed" software only, so if you have a platform on which software can be installed (eg desktop PCs, PDAs, Smartphones) it doesn't apply. Unfortunately none of the eInk devices (with the exception of iRex) are "open" in terms of being able to install your own applications on them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #36
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I agree with earlier posters. We don't know for certain that the drm support will come to earlier devices. They might just get drm-free epub support. Of course I do hope we do get drm support.

I doubt Bookeen have signed this deal without thinking it through though. Some article that someone linked to on this site states that this deal with adobe costs $75,000 in licence fees. There is no way a company would pay that for something they are not sure they'll be using. So if they are paying the licence fees, there really is no doubt that they'll be using it in their products.

Also they said that this will arrive in the 1st quarter of 2009 which must mean it's arriving within the next 5 or 6 weeks. So we shouldn't have that long to wait.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I wonder if I'm alone in not really caring one way or another about epub and pdf files? The only thing I want for my Cybook is folder support. Well, that and bugfixes and little enhancements like turning off buttons etc in case I press them by accident etc.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I wonder if I'm alone in not really caring one way or another about epub and pdf files? The only thing I want for my Cybook is folder support. Well, that and bugfixes and little enhancements like turning off buttons etc in case I press them by accident etc.
I don't care about PDF on a small e-ink device. I do care about ePub, as I believe that a standard format (with more capabilities than Mobi) will be a good thing for ebooks. The more devices that support it, the better IMHO.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #39
alehel
Zealot

I care alot about epub files becouse I own several hundred pounds worth of epub drm'ed ebooks which I'm currently only able to read on my computer.

The only thing that I just realised though is how the cybook can easily sync with the computer. ADE doesn't support mobi files and vice versa. If I own some of both file types I'll have to transfer them manually.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #40
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
You're not alone. When I got the Cybook, I knew about the PDF limitations and I was really only interested in reading mobipocket books on it. I would enjoy having reflow capability in my PDF files because that would make the Cybook more versatile, but I don't buy DRMed PDF books and have no intention of doing so. I wish Bookeen would just give us folder support, I'd like to program the buttons for my own preferences, I'd like for the delete button to work.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #41
alehel
Zealot

What exactly does pdf reflow mean? Is it the same as panning a pdf document?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #42
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Open a page like the Wikipedia Mainpage and reduce the size of the browserwindow. What you see happening to the text: that's "reflow"
It makes sure you can read all the text even if you zoom in.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 AM   #43
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
You're not alone. When I got the Cybook, I knew about the PDF limitations and I was really only interested in reading mobipocket books on it. I would enjoy having reflow capability in my PDF files because that would make the Cybook more versatile, but I don't buy DRMed PDF books and have no intention of doing so. I wish Bookeen would just give us folder support, I'd like to program the buttons for my own preferences, I'd like for the delete button to work.
A few months ago I would ask you if I could join the club. Today, I still read mostly DRM mobi BUT I am not so sure anymore about the future of the format: Amazon does not seem very interested in it, and Epub could very well being the format of the future. And that could be a good thing, since it's an open one.

Being able to choose is also good anyway.

But I do agree that folder support is a must. And I am getting sick of waiting for it.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that ePub can be trivially converted to Mobi using MobiPocket Creator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that ePub can be trivially converted to Mobi using MobiPocket Creator.
And DRM free ePub can also be converted to Mobipocket with Calibre using any2mobi.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote