Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-19-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
tomomo
tomomo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 647 B
Kobo 647 Troubleshooting help

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with my Kobo 647 and was hoping someone could give me some guidance/help troubleshooting it.

The problem is it does not connect to wifi, have tried multiple networks and confirmed the passwords multiple times.

Also, it won't show up in Adobe Digital Edition. I am trying to borrow some books from the library through overdrive so I need it to be visible in Adobe Digital Editions.

I have tried restarting and doing a factory reset with no luck.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

To
tomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
tomomo

Hi it's been a while and I wanted to update the model number I previously posted, I believe the correct model number is N647B.

Also I have been reading a a bit on here that there is a SD card in the device and some people put a new image on it. Is this something that might be needed in this case? Or is there some kind of way to get the wifi working and the device responding?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

To
Old 04-30-2021, 02:10 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't know about the WiFi not working. I don't have one of these devices to test with. The only thing I can think of is that when connecting, they check if the can reach a URL and drop the connection if it cannot. This is probably http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt as that was use by the later devices for several years..

For ADE, the device needs to be seen by the computer. When you plugin the device, is it connecting and does the computer mount it? Can you see the books one the device through the computer? And has it been mounted so that you can write to it?

The image might help, but, your problems do not sound like the usual one. With the last firmware version for the WiFi, some would stop showing any books. They would be on the device when viewed from the computer, but, not shown by the device. The image was the only way found to fix this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
tomomo

Hi davidfor,

Thanks for replying and your help. It is very strange because no matter what I do, the wifi will not connect. I did try multiple networks and verified the passwords.

I am using Windows 10 and the Kobo mounts the drive in File explorer, So I am able to see the contents. I assume the boos are under the path /KOBOeReader/.kobo/kepub

I did install the Windows dektop installer and it looks like it tries to update for a second then it stops as if it is checking for updates. The application looks like it works.

Strange thing, I just had the computer plugged into the device with ADE open and it looks like it just detected the Kobo. I am thinking maybe because a I had it plugged in for over an hour it downloaded some driver in WIndows that the computer needed? Is that a possibility?

Also quick question, is it possible to get a copy of the image just in case this thing fails and then maybe I can wipe it and start fresh?

Thanks again for the help.

To
Old 04-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
@davidfor, if @tomomo did a factory reset, might not the wifi problem be related to the updated security protocols? Especially since the ADE problem was fixed and seems unrelated...

@tomomo if that is the problem, you need a firmware of 3.19 or later. If you mean by "windows desktop installer" that you used the Kobo Desktop application to try to check for new firmware, but it doesn't seem to finish looking (and so doesn't install new firmware), it can also be done by loading a newer firmware manually. I've never done it, so am not the right person to give instructions, but it pretty much involves downloading the desired firmware to your computer, copying to the right place on your Kobo and then safely ejecting the reader, which triggers the Kobo to install the firmware. Then it should be able to connect to your wifi.

PS I am really not familiar with the older models, but I think that your model was one that still could be fixed by getting the newer security protocols with a slightly newer firmware, but I would wait for someone who knows the older models to chime in before actually trying it, or look for confirmation in one of the many threads about the change made to security protocols that meant older firmware no longer worked with wifi.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 04-30-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
@tomomo if that is the problem, you need a firmware of 3.19 or later. If you mean by "windows desktop installer" that you used the Kobo Desktop application to try to check for new firmware, but it doesn't seem to finish looking (and so doesn't install new firmware), it can also be done by loading a newer firmware manually. I've never done it, so am not the right person to give instructions, but it pretty much involves downloading the desired firmware to your computer, copying to the right place on your Kobo and then safely ejecting the reader, which triggers the Kobo to install the firmware. Then it should be able to connect to your wifi.
The Kobo model in question is a Kobo WiFi. No version 3 firmware.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo model in question is a Kobo WiFi. No version 3 firmware.
ah. so no way to fix it to get it to work over wifi then?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
@davidfor, if @tomomo did a factory reset, might not the wifi problem be related to the updated security protocols?
I almost said that, but, I am sure that people have mentioned the WiFi still works on these devices. But, there will be an issue setting them up. And they won't be able to connect to the Kobo store.

@tomomo: Kobo stopped supporting the WiFi about two years ago. The details are on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...mmon-questions. You should be able to do the setup using desktop application and then load books that you have purchased from Kobo.

That ADE can see the device when it is connected is good. You can authorise it and transfer borrowed or purchased books. You could also try the Kobo desktop application again to see if it able to connect to the device now.

What is the firmware version on the device? The last release was 1.9.12. I'm not sure if that will have been installed, or even if it is still available.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo 647