Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Apart from the hex-location the Custom Page Refresh patches for 4.2.8110 and 4.2.8432 look the same to me. If changing 12 to something higher worked before I don't see why it wouldn't work this time.
This is the previous patch
Code:
#
# The following two patches are alternatives, don't enable more than one.
#
# `Custom page refresh options (1,2,3,...,12)`
# `Custom page refresh options (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128)`
#
# These two patches don't affect the Aura.
#

<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom page refresh options (1,2,3,...,12)`
patch_enable = `no`
# patch_group = `Page refresh alternatives`
#
## Allows the page refresh to be set in the range 1-12 pages,
## instead of just 1-6 pages. This patch doesn't affect the Aura.
#
# Replacement: Maximum value.
replace_int = 6ACF40, 6, 12
</Patch>

<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom page refresh options (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128)`
patch_enable = `yes`
# patch_group = `Page refresh alternatives`
#
## Allows the page refresh to be set to 1,2,4,8,16,32,64, or 128 pages,
#
# Replacement: Base (use this value for the first menu option):
replace_int = 6ACE48, 1, 1
# Double to get each successive menu option:
replace_bytes = 6ACF72, 01 33, 5B 00
# Replacement: Maxmium (stop adding options when this value is exceeded):
replace_int = 6ACF40, 6, 128
</Patch>
and this is the new patch
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom page refresh options (1,2,3,...,12)`
patch_enable = `yes`

#
## Allows the page refresh to be set in the range 1-12 pages,
#
# Replacement value:
replace_int = 6AB2E8, 6, 12
</Patch>
So what I want to know is it OK to change the 12 or can someone please find the second part of this patch?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Ah, I see what you're getting at. I think only the linear increment option (i.e. the first option) is currently available for 4.2.8432 not the geometric increment option.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is the previous patch...
So what I want to know is it OK to change the 12 or can someone please find the second part of this patch?
Yes, you can change to higher number, I think GeoffR test is up to 50, if the menu is too long to fit on the screen then scroll buttons are added automatically.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will the following patch (Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs)) from 4.2.8110 work in 4.2.8432?

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs)`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 3.3.0 - 4.2.8110+
#
## This patch allows the font set for paragraphs by the publisher in the epub
## stylesheet to override the font selected by the reader from the device.
#
#     body, p { font-family: -ua-default !important; }
# --> body    { font-family: -ua-default !important; }
#
find_base_address = `b\0o\0d\0y\0,\0 \0p\0 \0{\0 \0f\0o\0n\0t\0-\0f\0a\0m\0i\0l\0y\0:\0 \0-\0u\0a\0`
replace_string = 0000, `b\0o\0d\0y\0,\0 \0p\0`,`b\0o\0d\0y\0 \0 \0 \0`
</Patch>
Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Yes, you can change to higher number, I think GeoffR test is up to 50, if the menu is too long to fit on the screen then scroll buttons are added automatically.
Thanks. That's great to know. I've set to to 40. I think I'll use 30 in this case.
Advert
Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Will the following patch (Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs)) from 4.2.8110 work in 4.2.8432?

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs)`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Multi-version patch: 3.3.0 - 4.2.8110+
#
## This patch allows the font set for paragraphs by the publisher in the epub
## stylesheet to override the font selected by the reader from the device.
#
#     body, p { font-family: -ua-default !important; }
# --> body    { font-family: -ua-default !important; }
#
find_base_address = `b\0o\0d\0y\0,\0 \0p\0 \0{\0 \0f\0o\0n\0t\0-\0f\0a\0m\0i\0l\0y\0:\0 \0-\0u\0a\0`
replace_string = 0000, `b\0o\0d\0y\0,\0 \0p\0`,`b\0o\0d\0y\0 \0 \0 \0`
</Patch>
Yes it will. For future reference patches that use the 'find_base_address' method are what GeoffR calls 'Multi-version patches', i.e. they usually work unchanged from one fw to the next. If any of these didn't work in a new fw I think GeoffR would make special note of it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes it will. For future reference patches that use the 'find_base_address' method are what GeoffR calls 'Multi-version patches', i.e. they usually work unchanged from one fw to the next. If any of these didn't work in a new fw I think GeoffR would make special note of it.
Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #23
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I just tested with 99, and it works fine.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I just tested with 99, and it works fine.
Given that 99 works, I do think the default value of 12 is a bit low. I think 99 would be fine since it works.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #25
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
H2O never finishes booting after patching

I was attempting to patch after upgrading from 3.17.3 to this version, but after transferring KoboRoot.tgz, the system does the 'upgrading' and 'restarting' screens, and then starts rebooting, with the moving squares.... and never actually starts up. Or at least, after 5 minutes I gave up

After performing a factory reset, I tried updating directly to 4.2.8432, same thing. Disabled all of the patches, verified the libraries in KoboRoot.tgz hadn't changed using diff, still the same behavior. I eventually reverted back to 3.17.3, and re-patched without issue.

Any bright ideas, or things I can try?
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 AM   #26
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not so sure what you did, but maybe the firmware version or the patch version is not correct.

Upgrade to 4.2.8432, and check the firmware version on the device is 4.2.8432, see here.
Then follow the instructions in post #1, make sure you get "everything seems to be OK" when you run the patcher.

Last edited by oren64; 02-14-2017 at 04:35 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 AM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
I was attempting to patch after upgrading from 3.17.3 to this version, but after transferring KoboRoot.tgz, the system does the 'upgrading' and 'restarting' screens, and then starts rebooting, with the moving squares.... and never actually starts up. Or at least, after 5 minutes I gave up

After performing a factory reset, I tried updating directly to 4.2.8432, same thing. Disabled all of the patches, verified the libraries in KoboRoot.tgz hadn't changed using diff, still the same behavior. I eventually reverted back to 3.17.3, and re-patched without issue.

Any bright ideas, or things I can try?
I can't really add anything to what oren64 has said, it just sounds like what happens when you use a different firmware version for patching than what is on the device.

All I can suggest is checking that you have all the firmware and patch versions matchng, you can't use anything from your earlier version, you need to start afresh each time.

* Upgrade the device to firmware 4.2.8432 first, check on the Settings > Device information page that it really is running 4.2.8432 (fbb9e8f61b) before you start patching.

* Download and unpack patch_kobo_4028432.zip from post #1 of this thread.

* Download firmware kobo-update-4.2.8432.zip (from the Wiki is probably easiest now, or if you upgraded the device manually then you can use the same one you downloaded then.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When you redo the patches and firmware, use a different directory so you cannot get anything mixed up. Use contents from the ZIP file that you use to update the firmware. This way you cannot get anything wrong.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #29
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I can't really add anything to what oren64 has said, it just sounds like what happens when you use a different firmware version for patching than what is on the device.

All I can suggest is checking that you have all the firmware and patch versions matchng, you can't use anything from your earlier version, you need to start afresh each time.

* Upgrade the device to firmware 4.2.8432 first, check on the Settings > Device information page that it really is running 4.2.8432 (fbb9e8f61b) before you start patching.

* Download and unpack patch_kobo_4028432.zip from post #1 of this thread.

* Download firmware kobo-update-4.2.8432.zip (from the Wiki is probably easiest now, or if you upgraded the device manually then you can use the same one you downloaded then.)
Hmm, as far as I can tell from my bash history, I was using the right files for the patch scripts, and I know I verified the version (and saw the different menus), but oh well. Must have done something, seeing how it worked this time

Thanks all!
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Can someone please tell me what happened to the custom footer style patch? My Glo HD updated on its own and I downloaded the new patch but this part seems to be missing or replaced.

I've searched everywhere for the answer but only found some having issues with kepub with it. I'm missing my reader but it's just annoying without being patched.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote