Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Calibre, Kobo and Collections

This may (or may not) take a while, so please bear with me.
I like that Kobo started offering the option to sort by series. In Calibre I have all of my books metadata filled in, including the series name and book number in the series. When I add books to my Kobo (Glo HD and Aura One) the series information isn't there. What I end up doing after I've added books to the reader is...

1. make a new folder for the series on the reader
2. move the books to the folder
3. plug my reader back into my computer
4. open Caliber
5. go to my device
6. highlight all of the books in the series on the device
7. open "Manage Series Information On Device" in KoboUtilities
8. move the books into the correct order and change the starting number back to 1
9. hit OK

This seems a bit excessive. My only guess is that it's because all of my books in the Calibre library are epubs and I have the Kobo Touch Extended Driver installed that converts them to kepub before transferring them, and for some reason the series information is being lost. Anyone else having the same problem? Anyone else have a different idea what's happening?

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 05-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Have you read and done it according to this:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections
?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I believe the Series information isn't added to the Kobo (database) until after you disconnect and reconnect the Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Kobo needs to process the books first before Calibre can add the series information.
If you eject the reader after adding new books, wait until the books are processed and then connect it again the series information should be added, as long as Metadata Management is set to automatic.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Let me address everybody in one post...

patrik, I haven't looked at that information, but I will.

John F & Abtacha, I tried plugging the reader in after the processing was finished and I could see them on the reader, but that didn't add the series info.

Abtacha, I don't know if Metadata Management is set to automatic, I'm not sure where it is. I'll be looking into that, though.

Thanks for all of the ideas so far.

EDIT: I found something under preferences / sending books to device that mentions metadata management, but the way it sounds, it should be sending the metadata with any option you pick. I have it on manual (the default), and I don't know if changing it to automatic will move every book in my library to my reader. I wouldn't want that.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 05-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Automatic just applies to metadata and is what needs to be set for series info to be copied on the second calibre attachment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur

Abtacham & PeterT,

While changing the option to automatic did in fact add the series information by plugging the reader back in and opening Calibre, what also happens is that all of my folders are emptied and I have top add all of the books back to them. Plugging the reader back in emptied the folders again. Of the two, I think mine is the lesser of the two evils.

Also, when I go into my device in Calibre, the Collections column used to list my collections. Now there's nothing there except to say what book I'm reading.

Putting the option back to manual keeps the books in their folders and the collections column is back to listing my collections.

Thanks for the idea though.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 05-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You either need to manage the shelves via calibre or confugure the device driver not to manage collections.

Most of us just have calibre configured to handle all aspects of collection management and never perform any collection management on the Kobo itself.

Last edited by PeterT; 05-12-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You either need to manage the shelves via calibre or confugure the device driver not to manage collections.

Most of us just have calibre configured to handle all aspects of collection management and never perform any collection management on the Kobo itself.
Actually, this one of us doesn't bother with collections. Search works quite well for me.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Actually, this one of us doesn't bother with collections. Search works quite well for me.
Same for me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Geez... Your use case still follows my statement; calibre IS handling your collection management and you're do nothing on the Kobo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 02:20 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
Abtacham & PeterT,

While changing the option to automatic did in fact add the series information by plugging the reader back in and opening Calibre, what also happens is that all of my folders are emptied and I have top add all of the books back to them. Plugging the reader back in emptied the folders again. Of the two, I think mine is the lesser of the two evils.

Also, when I go into my device in Calibre, the Collections column used to list my collections. Now there's nothing there except to say what book I'm reading.

Putting the option back to manual keeps the books in their folders and the collections column is back to listing my collections.
If you want the series info to be populated automatically, you need the metadata management option to be set to automatic. The other options will do it as well, but not for all the books, or only when sending a book. That means the series info might not be updated.

For your original process, there isn't really a need to move the books into a separate folder. But, if you that's how you want to organise the files, you can put the series into the save template in the driver and have calibre send the books there directly. The "Manage Series Information On Device" function in the utilities plugin is intended for books you don't have in the calibre library. If you don't use the driver to populate the series, you are probably better to use the "Update metadata in device library" function. This can update any of the metadata that the device displays from the metadata in the calibre library.

For the collections column, it looks like there is a problem when collection management is turned off and metadata management is on. I'll have a look at what is wrong. If you have the collection management on, but no options selected and no collections column, then it displays correctly and no changes are made on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Geez... Your use case still follows my statement; calibre IS handling your collection management and you're do nothing on the Kobo.
Not quite right. Calibre does not handle my collections -- I have no collections other than the builtin shortlist collection which has no entries. I considered collections but most of what I looked at ended up as author or series collections. I read a small set of genres so a collection with 1300 science fiction, 1100 fantasy or 360 cooking related books is a bit useless to me when I can search by author or series which, in my testing, was a lot faster than collections.

And I would protest that I do not do nothing on the Kobo. I read on it thus helping it fulfill it's natural and ordained function.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-13-2017 at 03:03 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sir Loybe, plkease the the entire thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184 and you will learn about collections with Calibre and Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Jon: If you read the thread, there is already a link to the Wiki article about configuring collection management. Pointing to the old thread is not that useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote