Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Image Quality Degraded (AZW3-->KEPUB)

I have recently ordered a Kobo Clara HD, so I've been liberating and converting a number of my Amazon books in preparation. When reviewing one book, I noticed that some of the graphics were significantly degraded, for example:

https://imgur.com/a/C0ys3cO

It looks like the image might have been re-encoded, and the lossy compression either added artifacts, or has a higher compression setting. Are there any settings that I can modify to improve this?

The cover doesn't seem to have suffered the same fate, just the in-book image(s).

EDIT: I've tried the tablet and HD eInk page layout profiles, neither helped.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-04-2020 at 05:22 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Figured it out -- going to keep my post and add an answer in case others search and find this. My prior searches were fruitless, so hopefully this'll be helpful to somebody.

Even though I changed my page layout profile in the preferences, the converter dialog wasn't updating the output profile. Changing it there (I used reset defaults button) fixed the image resolution issue.
Advert
Old 05-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When you change the settings when converting a book it remembers it only for that book. You have to change the global ones in Preferences if you want the new changes to be used thereafter.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
When you change the settings when converting a book it remembers it only for that book. You have to change the global ones in Preferences if you want the new changes to be used thereafter.
The global preferences is where I was changing it first, multiple times, then I tried it with the startup wizard, again no luck.

For some reason previous conversions had caused the setting to "stick" in the converter screens, even across multiple application restarts. It wasn't until I said "reset defaults" within the individual converter settings that it took effect.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This might explain why ==>> calibre User Manual: E-book conversion

Be good to have a has_conversion_options template function that could be used in setting a custom column if it was true, or in a column colouring or column icon rule.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert