Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Free (Kindle/Smashwords) Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Identity/dp/B0015UB0TO/

Supposedly a sci-fi technothriller. No idea if it's any good, but you can't beat the price!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I was lookin g at that yesterday and I dont know... sound flaky. I also have a hard time charging $0.01 on my credit card lol. I guess I can get it when I buy a different book
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, someone on the Amazon forums has noted the following:

UPDATE: Number of locations for penny version: 4352, number of locations for a buck: 6868

So it's possible the penny version is missing some text? No clue.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Well, someone on the Amazon forums has noted the following:

UPDATE: Number of locations for penny version: 4352, number of locations for a buck: 6868

So it's possible the penny version is missing some text? No clue.
Yeah, I found that problem when the price was dropped a few days ago (documented on my blog). After emailing with the author, it was determined that it is just a difference in how location numbers were marked between the two versions (the $0.99 one is via Amazon's dtp, the $0.01 is via Mobipocket). Other than that, the two are identical (although one's file size is larger, it is apparently related to all those extra location marks and _maybe_ the size of the graphic for the cover. There is no difference in displayed graphics. There is a SLIGHT difference in formatting (one has left aligned chapter titles, the other right aligned). The author checked every page (he bought the penny version after I found the issue) and verified that there is no difference in the actual text included.

I read the first few pages and it starts out pretty well (interesting, author has a command of the English language, seems to know and follow grammar rules, no obvious words he doesn't understand .. nothing more annoying than an entire book that uses the wrong words: then instead of than, for example, for pages and pages and pages, along with dozens of other wrong words, all used on a consistent basis, showing that the person thinks they are correct; sort of like all those internet posters who keep "loosing" their items and "than" cannot find them). I'll probably read it, but it's not at the very top of my list. After all, I'm into him for an entire dollar now, having bought both versions.

And hey, it's only a penny. if your CC won't allow that - buy a gift card and put it on your account. I've actually bought several penny books (luckily, Amazon's CC doesn't care about dozens of tiny, tiny charges, so long as they are from Amazon, but it does make balancing your statement something of an exercise).

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

credit card allow charges for any amount. In fact it is a violation of a merchants agreement with all credit card companies to restrict or in any way impose a charge amount limits affecting a cardholders ability to use their card for any purchase.

I am thinking Amazon might be doing the same thing as they do with the $0.10 charge when emailing books to your Kindle. Amazon allows the balance to accumulate until there is at least $2.00 in charges. So perhaps the penny is added to that ledger?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

I don't know where that $2.00 rumor came from since no one has ever been charged for emailing books to their Kindle despite what it says.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I don't know where that $2.00 rumor came from since no one has ever been charged for emailing books to their Kindle despite what it says.
rumor huh? Interesting:

Quote:
Individual charges include e-mailed document charges to cover wireless delivery ($.10 per e-mailed document attachment). Your credit card will be charged when you have accrued at least $3.00 in total charges, or 30 e-mailed documents.
so everyone is wrong, it's not $2.00, it is $3.00 or 30 emailed documents.

Took about 15-sec to find the info over on Amazon. But for your further edification here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kchgs.gif
Views:	263
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	25605  

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-14-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur

Thanks for the link snipenekkid; perhaps it used to say $2.00 and now it says $3.00. As far as I know that's the only place where it says that; it's not mentioned in any of the other documentation or user agreements for the device.

Anyway, as I said before, no one has ever been charged to the wireless delivery service.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
credit card allow charges for any amount. In fact it is a violation of a merchants agreement with all credit card companies to restrict or in any way impose a charge amount limits affecting a cardholders ability to use their card for any purchase.
Actually, several people have had these charges refused or their CC canceled/blocked due to suspected fraud activities (penny charges are often used to "test" a card's validity, although these are usually then backed out before the cardholder sees them). Merchants don't get to set the rules, it's true, but there are other ways around them (and you'll often see minimum purchase limits in stores). These problems, however, were when their fraud detection measures kicked in, not arbitrary tiny charges.

Quote:
I am thinking Amazon might be doing the same thing as they do with the $0.10 charge when emailing books to your Kindle. Amazon allows the balance to accumulate until there is at least $2.00 in charges. So perhaps the penny is added to that ledger?
They aggregate charges in the music store all the time - there is some tiny overhead in processing any charge (but Amazon no doubt doesn't pay what most others do .. and nothing on their own charge card), but it's also a favor to customers so they don't see a few hundred charges on their statements. Too bad they don't do that in the Kindle store or make the process of getting and entering a gift certificate balance a bit easier (it takes forever; maybe they should study the process at other places, where you can purchase "rewards" or "micropay" -- name an amount, confirm your pmt, your balance automatically increases).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
.01. That's the kind of price I like
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
It's a little late, but I do want to encourage anyone who enjoys speculative fiction to grab this one. It's not far enough "out there" to fit most people's definition of "science fiction". The author proposes a form of reincarnation which can be detected through a simple technology. And then builds a captivating suspense novel with just the right mix of noble protagonist, diabolical villain, and budding romance. This book wound up on my "best reads of 2008" list at the end of the year. I understand that the author is writing a sequel and I am looking forward to reading it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Actually, several people have had these charges refused or their CC canceled/blocked due to suspected fraud activities (penny charges are often used to "test" a card's validity, although these are usually then backed out before the cardholder sees them). Merchants don't get to set the rules, it's true, but there are other ways around them (and you'll often see minimum purchase limits in stores). These problems, however, were when their fraud detection measures kicked in, not arbitrary tiny charges.
The only time that would happen is if the MERCHANT CARD SERVICE declines the charge. And it is a complete violation of any card's TOS for the merchant to post a minimum purchase amount or to refuse a credit card for not being large enough amount. I have seen people call their credit card company in line at a store. That sort of policy will get a businesses account suspended or pulled in no time flat. Face it credit card companies want every penny and for the merchant those are the rules and they know it up front.

Personally I find it insane to use a credit card for a $1 purchase but have actually found myself w/o cash and only wanting a soda and bought one with a card. Merchants have this factored into their pricing already so they lose nothing.

The fraud detection would only happen is a large number of similar charges come through via the same merchant card service provider either at the same time or from multiple card service providers. I realize it is a game of cat and mouse, especially given online charges but there are many ways to protect one self including using cards that offer on demand generated card numbers with limitations such as number of uses or duration. That is a different issue. For a legit charge the card company will nor decline any charge unless other issues are present with the card, the merchant or the card service provider. Doubtful somewhere like Amazon would fall into the suspicious activity category.

BTW, verification charges are rarely actually backed out, they simply are allowed to expire in the standard 72 hours. It is a pet peeve of mine when a business does a pre-auth for ever card purchase even from existing customers. It is just another item to track to make sure the charge amount hold is released.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just noticed that this ebook is free at Kindle Store... not sure how long that will last.. but do yourself a favor and pick it up... it is a good read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
It's free on Amazon UK as well. I grabbed it to put on the TBR list, which now has over 1500 books on it. Maybe my eyes are bigger than my available time.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's free over @ Smashwords and thence to any price-matching distributed outlets.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote