Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-23-2023, 08:44 PM   #1
metalofono
metalofono began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Force visibility for epub:type="footnote"

Hi, I want to use aside with epub:type="footnote" to define, well, my footnotes, but I also want to be able to show the footnotes at the end of each chapter. A bit of wanting to eat my cake and have it too.

As far as I can tell, most devices hide the epub:type="footnote", is there a way to force it to show it? I'm a bit new on EPUB3, so there's still a lot of stuff I don't know.

Thanks in advance!
metalofono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:06 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I’m also not familiar enough with ePub3 … I’ve been exclusively ePub2 for a while. I know someone here would be able to tell you if it’s possible.

If it can’t be done with an aside then, worst case, although a little duplication of effort, you could put a copy of your footnotes at the end of a given chapter as a “normal” footnote…

You’d see your aside/pop up AND the note at the end of the chapter.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2023, 10:29 PM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalofono View Post
Hi, I want to use aside with epub:type="footnote" to define, well, my footnotes, but I also want to be able to show the footnotes at the end of each chapter. A bit of wanting to eat my cake and have it too.

As far as I can tell, most devices hide the epub:type="footnote", is there a way to force it to show it? I'm a bit new on EPUB3, so there's still a lot of stuff I don't know.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, just write in your .css stylesheet the following:

Code:
aside {
  display: block !important;
}
With that declaration, you'll be able to see your endnotes at the end of your epub3.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
metalofono

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Yes, just write in your .css stylesheet the following:

Code:
aside {
  display: block !important;
}
With that declaration, you'll be able to see your endnotes at the end of your epub3.
Thank you! It seems to work great in all devices and apps I tried it, except in Apple Books, I don't know if maybe there's a solution to that, or if iBooks just doesn't recognize !important...
Old 02-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
metalofono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I’m also not familiar enough with ePub3 … I’ve been exclusively ePub2 for a while. I know someone here would be able to tell you if it’s possible.

If it can’t be done with an aside then, worst case, although a little duplication of effort, you could put a copy of your footnotes at the end of a given chapter as a “normal” footnote…

You’d see your aside/pop up AND the note at the end of the chapter.
I thought about it, but the problem is that in some apps like ADE aside does appear always, so I end up with duplicate footnotes, which I feel it's a medicine worse than the disease.

I might just end up avoiding aside and going just for div if I can't find a solution for iBooks, I'l keep looking.
Advert
Old 02-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! It seems to work great in all devices and apps I tried it, except in Apple Books, I don't know if maybe there's a solution to that, or if iBooks just doesn't recognize !important...
I have read again your first post and I realized that you are speaking about ENDnotes but you are using an incorrect sintaxis. Instead of using epub:type="footnote" you should use epub:type="rearnote" (that is, if you want to work with endnotes and not with footnotes). Your endnotes should be something like:

Code:
<aside class="note" epub:type="rearnote">
    <p id="note1"><a href="cap001.xhtml#ref1">1</a> This is my first endnote.</p>
</aside>
and that endnote should be called with:

Code:
<p>This is the paragraph<a epub:type="noteref" href="notes.xhtml#note1" id="ref1"><sup>1</sup></a> with the endnote.</p>
Also, you must check that in your content.opf file you don't have added (in the <spine> section) the statement linear="no" in the <itemref> where is the xhtml file that contents your endnotes.

By the way, if you are not going to use <aside> then you are not going to have popup endnotes under iBooks.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 02-24-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:09 PM   #7
metalofono

Quote:
I have read again your first post and I realized that you are speaking about ENDnotes but you are using an incorrect sintaxis. Instead of using epub:type="footnote" you should use epub:type="rearnote" (that is, if you want to work with endnotes and not with footnotes).
Ah OK, that makes sense, I was probably confused because we don't usually make that distinction in Spanish, at least in my area.

What I wanted to do was put the endnotes in the end of each chapter, like for example Verso Books does with its ebooks. With rearnotes this works perfectly everywhere.

Thank you again!
Old 02-24-2023, 10:34 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Ah OK, that makes sense, I was probably confused because we don't usually make that distinction in Spanish, at least in my area.

What I wanted to do was put the endnotes in the end of each chapter, like for example Verso Books does with its ebooks. With rearnotes this works perfectly everywhere.

Thank you again!
Nada que agradecer y me alegra saber que solucionaste todos tus problemas con respecto a las notas finales. Un cordial saludo.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:38 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Instead of using epub:type="footnote" you should use epub:type="rearnote" (that is, if you want to work with endnotes and not with footnotes).
rearnote is deprecated.

In EPUB3, the 2 valid things you can put in your <aside> notes are:
  • epub:type="footnote"
  • epub:type="endnote"

- - -

Side Note: rearnote (and a few others) were valid for a very short time, early on in EPUB3's life, but quickly got deprecated since nobody was using it.

- - -

Quote:
By the way, if you are not going to use <aside> then you are not going to have popup endnotes under iBooks.
The most recent, ultimate topic is this one:

which covers everything you'd ever want to know about footnotes (and endnotes) in ebooks.

People only tend to get in trouble with "Why are my popup footnotes not working?" when they try to create complex, convoluted, and messy code.

Just remember—KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), and your code should work across most apps/programs.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:39 PM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
rearnote is deprecated.

epub:type="footnote"
epub:type="endnote"
While epubcheck accepts "rearnote", it will continue being valid; deprecated doesn't mean invalid; rearnote is not invalid, is deprecated. I never had any issue by using "rearnote"; all epub3 reader I know support "rearnote", so as long as epubcheck doesn't give me an error message, rearnote is so valid as endnote. Moreover, the OP has said "With rearnotes this works perfectly everywhere".
Old 02-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #11
metalofono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
rearnote is deprecated.

• epub:type="footnote"
  • epub:type="endnote"
I tried with endnote, but while the text does appear at the end of the chapter in Apple Books, it doesn't appear in Thorium, while rearnote appears everywhere. Is there a way to force visibility on endnotes on Thorium? (I tried with displat:block !important)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #12
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I tried with endnote, but while the text does appear at the end of the chapter in Apple Books, it doesn't appear in Thorium, while rearnote appears everywhere. Is there a way to force visibility on endnotes on Thorium? (I tried with displat:block !important)
Don't use "endnote", use "rearnote" and all will work flawlessly under old versions of Thorium. The last version (2.2.0) supports "endnote". But my advice to you is: use <aside class="note" epub:type="rearnote"> because is VALID. Tex2002ans is a great connoisseur of everything related to electronic books but he forgets that not all ereaders have updated his software to comply with the latest specifications of W3C (for example, one of my favourite app, PocketBook is still using an old version of webkit and doesn't support popup footnotes/endnotes). For that reason "rearnote" works better than "endnote". And as long as epubcheck doesn't give an error message, you should continue to use "rearnote" (as I do).

Tags
epub3, footnotes, html