Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's like telling us you're using a hammer to hammer nails. Duh. We need way more details.

EDIT: Which you mostly gave earlier, I thought this was a different poster, my bad.

TL;DR: Nope, you're screwed.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #152
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoltverd View Post
Calibre
Calibre only writes a transfer file to the Kindle.
To update the collections database of the Kindle, you must use the Kindle-side program, LibrarianSync.
Which requires that you be jail broken.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #153
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@vurt: Reinstall the latest hotfix, update MRPI, switch to KUAL coplate.

If, and only if, the hotfix install fails, you're screwed.
So my Kindle updated itself again, to 5.12.2. The moment I turned off airplane mode cos I wanted to download some books. The crazy thing is there's been times when I wanted to update my Kindle and I never could get it done automatically. This one just shows up unannounced, talk about aggressive.

I tried reinstalling the hotfix and this time I got an "update error: 007".

So I'm guessing I'm finally SOL?
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #154
nmarton
nmarton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000 PP12 9391 O4J1
Hi, I have bought a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday, it has a firmware version 5.11.2 , serialnumber is G000PP12. I want to ask if it is jailbreakable by the method you described in this forum. I have not found any factory firmware image for this version. Original firmware is on it, I have not registered it yet and have not connected it to wi-fi as it has adviced on this forum.
nmarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #155
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You can find the translation from serial number to local name here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

PS: It helps people if you include your local device name in your "Info Block" on the left.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #156
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Wow. This is ugly. My Kindle Voyage updated to 5.12.3 when I turned on wifi to download a book, notwithstanding that I had Kual+ installed with the don't update option. Jailbreak completely gone, and hotfix efforts give an 07 error.

I guess I'll stick with Kobo Forma, which I like a lot better, save for portability. Sigh.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #157
viragored
Read, read, reader
viragored began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
HI - I'm aiming to Jailbreak a friend's new "White Kindle Basic 3", serial begins G090WH... = nickname KT4; KT4W with F/W 5.11.2 (3541880032). And I have run into a roadblock. It could be my misunderstanding something, so here's a summary of what I've done:
  • Selected airplane mode
  • Via USB cable, created folder update.bin.tmp.partial at top visible level
  • From Wiki downloaded factory_KT4_5.11.0_initial
  • Confirmed MD5 checksum
  • Via USB cable copied downloaded .bin file to top visible level
  • Ejected Kindle, unplugged cable

That's when a screen message informed me an invalid update file had been downloaded.
Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > and the "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out

Have I done something wrong? Or is the Kindle firmware blocking the jailbreak?

Your help and advice will be much appreciated. Best wishes for what's left of the holiday season to everyone!

Last edited by viragored; 12-26-2019 at 05:28 PM.
viragored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #158
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by viragored View Post
HI - I'm aiming to Jailbreak a friend's new "White Kindle Basic 3", serial begins G090WH... = nickname KT4; KT4W and have run into a roadblock. It could be my misunderstanding something, so here's a summary of what I've done:
  • Selected airplane mode
  • Via USB cable, created folder update.bin.tmp.partial at top visible level
  • From Wiki downloaded factory_KT4_5.11.0_initial
  • Confirmed MD5 checksum
  • Via USB cable copied downloaded .bin file to top visible level
  • Ejected Kindle, unplugged cable

That's when a screen message informed me an invalid update file had been downloaded.
Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > and the "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out

Have I done something wrong? Or is the Kindle firmware blocking the jailbreak?

Your help and advice will be much appreciated. Best wishes for what's left of the holiday season to everyone!
What firmware version is the kindle running now?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:47 AM   #159
viragored
Read, read, reader
viragored began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What firmware version is the kindle running now?
It's still running 5.11.2
I couldn't do an update because the "Update your Kindle" option was greyed out so it's still as it came out of the box. (Except for some books I've now loaded)
viragored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:09 AM   #160
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by viragored View Post
It's still running 5.11.2
I couldn't do an update because the "Update your Kindle" option was greyed out so it's still as it came out of the box. (Except for some books I've now loaded)
Expected behavior.

5.11.2 > 5.11.0

Kindles don't allow downgrading anymore unfortunately so this only works on the oldest KT4 batches released.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #161
bobtista
bobtista began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite PW3
I read that newer firmwares would require a serial jailbreak, and I'm on 5.12.3, so that's what I did - the device is still taken apart and wired up via serial-USB. That said, after following the steps here, KUAL never showed up. I also read the notes in snapshots for KUAL and MRInstaller, but the "search for ';log mrpi'" method just said no results found. What can I do to get KUAL working?
bobtista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:31 PM   #162
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtista View Post
I read that newer firmwares would require a serial jailbreak, and I'm on 5.12.3

And presumably PW3?

Some threads that you should find helpful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325971
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325477
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323240
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #163
bobtista

Thanks Junket. Yes it's a PW3. JimmyR's advice helped on that first thread you shared - so now KUAL and MRInstaller are working, but the books are all missing. They're in /documents on the device but not displaying in the library, it just has "KUAL" and "Kindle Feedback" - any ideas? Also, I'm not sure how to handle the fact that now I'm on multiple threads... do I try to delete my post here and move to the one you linked to? Thanks for your patience and support, and apologies if I've cluttered things.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #164
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
deleted

Last edited by Junket; 01-01-2020 at 08:40 PM. Reason: i see that you found a solution to this in another thread
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #165
bobtista

Thank you Junket. I got the books back by removing two files: /var/local/cc.db and dcm.db and restarting. I Installed Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix via UYK, and I was able to get everything working as needed. My main goal was to get a wireless presenter to turn pages for my mother, and it works perfectly now via the KindleLazy extension

My complete path to here:
-Started with PW3 running fw 5.12.3
-Followed all of the steps in this guide
NOTES:
I didn't need the V wire, just the tx, rx, and gnd wires
Using OSX I didn't use putty for the session. Instead...
To find the usb/serial device on OSX, I ran "ls /dev/cu.usbserial-*"
To open the session, I ran "screen /dev/cu.usbserial-MYDEVICE 115200 –L"
The commands were a bit different than in the thread, like the "D" "L" "Q" commands didn't work, but I typed something like "exit login" and that worked instead.
Also in vim, after editing the file, it's important to do ":wq" because when I just did ":w" it didn't exit, so I was still messing up the open file, and I had to do ":q" then make it quit without saving the new changes by using override "quit!"
I followed the steps in the article for installing KUAL, helper, and mrinstaller (skipped the screensaver). This was a mistake because I hadn't seen the sticky on this thread yet. KUAL wasn't showing up, so I googled it. The next thing I found was the page on KUAL where the spoiler said I needed to install Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin with search ";log mrpi" This didn't work.
Next, I installed update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.22_install.bin via UYK
At this point, KUAL appeared to be working.
Next, I installed JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix via UYK
Finally, I installed kterm 2.5, cleared out those db files, and restarted.

I wish I had found the sticky first. The thread I found on jailbreaking via a google search initially just said "If you have any fw higher than 5.something you'll need to do a serial jailbreak, follow these steps." It was a bit of a wonky road, but I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten through it. I hope this helps others!