Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
hmf
Enthusiast
hmf doesn't litterhmf doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Trimming Covers

How does Trim work in Change cover image? I'd like to trim some covers I've downloaded and inserted in the book's metadata. When I hit Trim nothing seems to happen for most books. I did have 1 book that seemed to trim but no others. What do I need to do to allow the Trim function to work.
hmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmf View Post
How does Trim work in Change cover image? I'd like to trim some covers I've downloaded and inserted in the book's metadata. When I hit Trim nothing seems to happen for most books. I did have 1 book that seemed to trim but no others. What do I need to do to allow the Trim function to work.
I'm sure Kovid can say exactly what occurs.

In practice this is what I see. It seems to do a quick analysis of the left and right (and top and bottom) for color matches then trims off what matches. I have never seen it trim perfectly to the edge of the picture and I have never had a cover able to trim a second time. At best this is a quick delivery of an imperfect attempt at trimming the cover.

If it won't do a trim it seems that it is not able to detect exact matches on each side that would allow it to trim. It would be nice to set margins on the cover image and then have it trim it, but that is not how it currently works.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My experience is the same as Walt's.

I now use the "open with" plugin with the cover edit set to my image edit programs (Paint shop pro 8 on XP and Gimp on Ubuntu)
PSP has a crop tool that is quic to use (It is the program load time, that is a time eater. I don't know how to make PSP reuse the session if open)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Trim removes the *same* color from all borders. There is a little bit of fuzziness in the color matching but not much. If your borders dont all have the same color then it wont do anything. If you want to see it in action generate a default cover and trim that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
hmf
Enthusiast
hmf doesn't litterhmf doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the replies guys. Too bad Trim's limitations make trimming covers a bit of a chore. I've now got the Open With plug-in associated with Paint which makes trimming those few white pixels on some cover edges easier. Black covers look cool popping out of the black background.
hmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmf View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Too bad Trim's limitations make trimming covers a bit of a chore. I've now got the Open With plug-in associated with Paint which makes trimming those few white pixels on some cover edges easier. Black covers look cool popping out of the black background.
Usually using the search the internet plugin to search on google images results in
better quality covers. I use that instead of trying to trim covers.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote