Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Talk me into or out of a Jetbook

I had been leaning towards getting a Sony 505 but the price and the horrible screen refresh (all ereaders guilty) has been holding me back.

I found a video of the Jetbook on Youtube after seeing some posts about it here and was amazed to see that even though it looks exactly like an e-ink ereader, it has instantaneous page turns! And it's on sale for $200 at New Egg which is significantly cheaper than the $300 (or in Canada-$350) that the Sony 505 costs.

What drew me to the 505 initially was all the different formats that it supports. I don't care about DRM'ed books-I have no intention (and don't even think I could) of using Amazon or Sony's store. There are lots of classics available out there.

In terms of reading material it would basically be novels and comics. When I say comics I don't mean comic books but rather JPEG comic strips-the three panel ones that you see in the newspaper every day.

I'm currently reading on my iTouch right now and actually enjoying it quite a lot which makes me wonder whether I really even need an e-reader.

So that's about it. Any recommendations? Any warnings against the Jetbook? The QA is good? I found one post on Engadget about it and everyone commented how ugly it looked but I don't find it any uglier than the Sony and it's certainly less ugly than the Kindle.

I wish there were some video reviews on Youtube about this product. I can't believe that on the whole of Youtube there's only a couple of videos and those are in Russian.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
You can check the page below. It has several links for jetBook reviews.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47377
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Yes I did browse through those, thank you. It sure would be nice if someone would do an Enlish review of the thing. Or at least just post a video going through the different menus and turning pages and what not.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the refresh rate isn't even noticeable on an Eink screen. it takes the same amount of time for you eyes to go from the bottom of the page to the top, and for your mind to process the last few words on the last page after you turn it. I wouldn't worry about it.

the Jetbook is a Nice Device, and I would buy it. its small. it works, its got more functions that the 505.

personally though, I got a used 505 instead of a jetbook for my girlfriend for 200 bucks. mainly because I know how to make a damn fine looking LRF file.

a whole slew of 5" readers are coming Imminent, I would say 3-6 months, so you might just want to hold off for the new Einks

If you Like the Itouch though, and your comfortable reading on it. stick with it. If you begin to wish for a device easier on the eyes, make the switch then.

reading on an backlit screen gave me blurry vision for a whole day after reading only 15 minutes, after about 6 months of reading on a netbook. that's why I made the jump to eink (500-kindle1-700)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I don't know if these points are significant to you (and I don't have time or inclination to write a whole review - so many people on this forum have done a much better job than I could do!), but let me list a few of the main pros and cons in my opinion:
Pros:
Portability, cost, excellent screen quality, turns on in 3 secs, page turns instant, ease-of-use interface, does not require "helper" software-you just copy files to it as a USB, integrated dictionary support, SD card support 2GB, and folder support. International warranty is also a + for me.

Cons:
Limited # of supported formats compared to Hanlin (I don't care about DRMed books, but HTML support would be nice), 5" screen is small as I enlarge the font size (6" would have the same issue for me), I don't like the ON/OFF button (don't know why, it just is difficult for me to use). I haven't had the device very long, < 1 week.

Also, you should know that people on this forum have reported that in fact, Ectaco does NOT find nor provide free (or otherwise) ebooks by request (as implied on the website). Rather, you are provided with a list of 5-6 websites in which to do your own searches. Not an issue for me and I see how it supports the non-DRM leanings of the device, but I felt that I should mention it.

I was going to wait a few months to buy a device, but I figured that I'd use this now so that I would understand the tradeoffs better - and be able to read my books comfortably! Overall, I really like the jetBook, and I am also certain there are other good devices available.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I'm happy with my jetBook purchase and not regretting the decision. The bottom line, for me, was the price. -- $170 at Frys. That lets me buy one now without majorly wincing in a year or three as technology improves or caring as much about potential breakage. I find the Kindle to be far uglier plus it wastes a lot of real estate with the keyboard and edges of the device. I've seen some comments about cheap plastic but its fine for me. I have dropped it from coffee table height to the hardwood floor. I've stuffed it in a beach bag and carry on luggage. Cats have sat on it. I've probably squeezed the screen more than I should. Nothing broken yet *knock on wood*.

I don't care about a dictionary or playing music, I just want to read books. The Whispernet connectivity is a 'nice to have' but wasn't worth $200+. I'm also on a Mac and one reason I talked myself out of the Sony is because it seemed to be more of a hassle (plus Sony has questionable ethics.)

I've also read mentions of a short battery but it seems pretty long to me. I read it down to 'critical' where it auto-shuts off and then plug it in and keep reading. Casual reading it'd take some effort to reach this point. I haven't timed it but I think it can go a week of a few hours session a day.

Benefits:
Price
Reads in sunlight
Easy on the eyes
No flash on page refresh
Threads here by eInk converts indicate the screen is sharper
Folders
SD card expandability
Charger + soft case included plus any standard mini-USB works. (I use my phone's wall plug to charge it)
International warranty
Read while its charging
Keeps track of last page opened for each book
Smaller size

Negatives:
No DRM support for legal reading of new releases.
Support seems to be ESL types judging by the Ecato forums which may make communicating a problem difficult if you are an English speaker.
No management software but supposedly Calibre works now
PDF still can use some improvements (I believe this is true for all eReaders)
Greenish screen -- I don't see it but it seems to bother some people

I haven't looked much at graphics/comics. I (and probably other jetBook owners) am willing to give it a test if you have specific examples.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I had been leaning towards getting a Sony 505 but the price and the horrible screen refresh (all ereaders guilty) has been holding me back.
It's not really that slow. That said, the new Hanlin V5 / BeBook / EZ Reader 5inch device is coming out. This has the new Epson controller which makes the page turns much faster. So, you might want to hold out for one of those.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you actually seen an eInk device "in the flesh", Canuck? I know you are concerned about the screen refresh, but it's a complete "non issue" for virtually all users. After using the device for an hour you literally don't see the black "flash" - your brain "filters it out". eInk really does have enormous benefits over LCD in terms of battery life and readability.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you actually seen an eInk device "in the flesh", Canuck? I know you are concerned about the screen refresh, but it's a complete "non issue" for virtually all users. After using the device for an hour you literally don't see the black "flash" - your brain "filters it out". eInk really does have enormous benefits over LCD in terms of battery life and readability.
HarryT, Have you actually seen jetBook "in the flesh"? Why people sell Kindle and Sony as soon as they buy jetBook and compare eInk with TFT screen?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are a few drawbacks to the Jetbook...

First is that it's a 5" screen as opposed to the 505's 6" screen. Then there is the screen itself. The Jetbook screen takes power to keep the screen showing yo the text. The 505's screen only takes power to change what is on the screen.

Now we get to the firmware. It has already been shown that the 505 can render complex ePub that causes the Jetbook to fail. Also, the Jetbook supports no DRM at all. So if you want ot read most current eBooks, you'll need to strip off the DRM. If you currently cannot strip DRM, then most current eBook titles will not be available to you.

As to the flash when you turn the page on an eink screen, you will find that the more you use it, the more you'll not really notice it. I've been using an eink screen for a little over 2 years now and I do not notice the flash on page turns.

Because of issues in the firmware of the Jetbook, I'd say you are better off with a more mature product that has a decent firmware.

Now we come to the company Ectaco.. they are very good as giving out incorrect/wrong information to the point of actually lying. They have a form on their website for you to request eBooks. They make it seem like you can get ANY book for free just by requesting from them. Either they are lying to you or they are pirating eBooks if you were to request say Harry Potter and actually get it. Then there is the comparison chart they have that compares the 505 & K1 to the Jetbook ans a lot of the information about the 505 and K1 is just plain wrong and what isn't wrong is mostly misleading. And they don't say on their website that the Jetbook does not support DRM. And now they have it selling in Bed, Bath & beyond which is a mainstream shop. The problem is that because it has no DRM support and Ectaco won't say this, people will and have purchased the Jetbook only to end up having to return it due to not being able to read what they want because what they want has DRM and the Jetbook has no DRM support. This is misleading big time.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

>Benefits:
>Reads in sunlight

Reads in sunlight until the screen starts swimming. eink does not swim when it is exposed to sunlight. The screen stays nice and stable.

>Easy on the eyes

eink is very easy on the eyes

>No flash on page refresh

You get used to this very quickly and even end up ignoring it.

>Threads here by eInk converts indicate the screen is sharper

Cannot comment on this one without having a direct comparison

>Folders

The 505 does not have folders, but it does have collection which does let you organize your eBooks.

>SD card expandability

505 and most eink devices have memory card expandability but with my 505, I have enough internal meory that I don't need to use the SD card slot.

>Charger + soft case included plus any standard mini-USB works. (I use my phone's wall plug to charge it)

The 505 does not come with a charger, but it will charge from most computer's USB ports and you can get a PSP charger for cheap that works. A case is included with the 505.

>International warranty

That is one thing the Sony doesn't have. The warranty is only good in the country of purchase.

>Read while its charging

If using an AC adapter, you can read while charging a 505

>Keeps track of last page opened for each book

The 505 does this

>Smaller size

Not an advantage for just 1" smaller. It's actually a disadvantage (IMHO).

>Negatives:
>No DRM support for legal reading of new releases.

Ectaco doesn't like to publicize this and they even go so far asto sell the Jetbook in a store frequented by non-tech types who could end up buying one just to find it cannot handle the books they want. The 505 does handle DRM and can handle eBooks most want to read.[/quote]

If you plan on using your device for graphics/comics/manga, the Jetbook has a lower resolution coupled with a smaller screen.

Lastly, the screen on the Jetbook take power to keep an image on it. eink does not require power to keep an image on screen. The only power that's needed is to draw the image. After that, the screen take no power until the next image is drawn.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned

I 100% agree with galavanter and his message:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...263#post476263

You lie JSWolf, because Ectaco does not.

The jetBook is an ebook reader, and it now supports quite a few formats, which are clearly shown in the specs. You insist on an addendum saying "We don't read Kindle books, we don't read Sony books, etc. Get off it, you embarrass yourself. Repeatedly screaming "liar" when it is obviously not so is a disgrace.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned

640x480 on 5" is indeed high-resolution
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9397
Old 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I 100% agree with galavanter and his message:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...263#post476263

You lie JSWolf, because Ectaco does not.

The jetBook is an ebook reader, and it now supports quite a few formats, which are clearly shown in the specs. You insist on an addendum saying "We don't read Kindle books, we don't read Sony books, etc. Get off it, you embarrass yourself. Repeatedly screaming "liar" when it is obviously not so is a disgrace.
No place does the form say that the request has to be public domain or creative commons. I have asked people with a Jetbook to request some eBooks we know have DRM or are illegally going around the net like Harry Potter. But nobody wants to risk the result.

Read the post I made on the Jetbook Comparison chart when it comes to comparing the 505 to the Jetbook.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=30
Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
So all in all i have a jetBook myself and i read it on the daily like its my job

Its comfortable, small, light and readable under almost any condition. With the TFT screen opposed to the E-Ink, it's actually more visible under low light conditions and offers minimal glare.

Even though the screen is 5" the ability to regulate font sizes makes reading a lot easier than you think. Plus try stuffing a 6" screen in your blazer pocket - impossible trust me!

Even though there is no DRM support (hopefully in the future there will be) i myself wasn't looking for that and am now free to download any classics i want - which i absolutely am obsessed with anyway. There are so many books out there anyway that you'll never even read through them all!

The button layout is very ergonomic and you have the ability to find words and switch to pages instantly. Another cool addition is they have a built-in dictionary. You can actually look up definitions for words you've never seen before and since Ectaco makes translators too, they actually have a built-in device that translates those words from English to Polish, Russian, or Spanish, so you can actually learn these things in addition while you read! (pretty cool since i take Russian courses at night anyway)

As far as the contrast goes, the TFT allows for a sharper view over eInk (there is actually data out on that, ill post a link next time i come across it) so the words are really visible.

Hope i helped with this info, but you really have to try the jetBook and hold it in order to fall in love with it quick, plus i think they're selling it for $169 on newegg.com right now so that's definitely an UNBEATABLE deal
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote