Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #61
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thank you. I learned a valuable lesson, I'm sure
A valuable lesson, and that people do pay for library books.

You are welcome.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A valuable lesson, and that people do pay for library books.

You are welcome.
And people do steal library books.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #63
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidsmom View Post
Darryl; we are of the same mind. Calibre makes me happy. I'm considering buying my 1st kindle after my old Nook Touch finally died. I've been using samsung tablets for years as my ereaders, but need an 'outside' e-reader now that my Nook has bit the dust. And yes, I'm anal and travel with my tablet AND my e-reader.

Do you ever send your drm free calibre books BACK to the kindle for any reason? Is it possible? Before buying a kindle, I need to make sure it will play nicely with Calibre. Thanks!
I never travel without my ereader. I've even been known to take a laptop computer and a tablet as well. Not, of course, forgetting my phone.

I have found that the Kindle plays very nicely with Calibre. I used to send books back to the Kindle and it works well. I still use Calibre to transfer books converted from epub if I want to read them on a Kindle. Amazon's recent kfx format was annoying, but Calibre and Apprentice Alf do now have proper support for it, though I still like to download .azw3's for import to Calibre.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And people do steal library books.
And non-library books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #65
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And non-library books.
Absolutely.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #66
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The Kobo Aura One came in today. A very noticeable improvement over the Kindle paperwhite. It took a bit to figure out exactly what plugins to get for Calibre and how to set the plugins up, but once I did I really liked the collections and series views on the Kobo. All easy. My old Sony account, which got moved over to Kobo when Sony closed their store, was still active and still had most of my sony ebooks in it as well.

It is a bit too large for the sleeve that I bought way back when to protect my Sony PRS-500 while backpacking, so I ordered a couple of sleeves made for the larger Kobo device to try out.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The Kobo Aura One came in today. A very noticeable improvement over the Kindle paperwhite. It took a bit to figure out exactly what plugins to get for Calibre and how to set the plugins up, but once I did I really liked the collections and series views on the Kobo.
Congrats on your new Kobo. I do like how customizable/configurable they are and how well they play with Calibre.

Next step is to see what OS patches (if any) to use.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #68
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Congrats on your new Kobo. I do like how customizable/configurable they are and how well they play with Calibre.

Next step is to see what OS patches (if any) to use.
How odd. The reply that I posted earlier didn't seem to take.

What do you mean by OS patches?
Old 05-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #69
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What do you mean by OS patches?
Here for How-to for latest firmware.
Here for more detailed descriptions of some of the patches.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #70
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Here for How-to for latest firmware.
Here for more detailed descriptions of some of the patches.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #71
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm not sure how this thread veered from buying a Kindle vs. Kobo to library checkouts, but the big advantage of library checkouts is that you can turn Wifi OFF and finish reading the book. You aren't dinged for a late return and other folks aren't delayed getting a book because of your late return. Most libraries do not make an appreciable amount from late fees.

We no longer have Overdrive. I know I can download ebooks to my computer and sideload to either kindle or epub ereaders. Alternatively, you can use an app. Audiobooks though, they require an app which is troublesome for me. I don't like taking my Fire with me and I don't have a smartphone. So, right now, I get no audiobooks from the library unless they are CDs (which I can rip and put on my Ipod). I CAN however, use text-to-speech on my Kindle for any ebooks I sideload from the library, which is helpful.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #72
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
I have both devices a Kindle and a Kobo,
They have similar systems but their differences are what make their worth.
The Kindle has the vocabulary builder feature and Kindle Mate program to manage your notes and words learned and that is an important thing.

The Kobo has a very good feature , so no matter if you are left or right handed you can turn pages either by clicking right or left depending on your settings. Kobo track the time you spend reading books and how many books you read on the device..

In the end , if you are looking for a larger screen either buy a Kindle Oasis or wait for kindle paperwhite 4 , hopefully it is a 7" screen, it will feature comfort light that is for sure but i am not sure about the screen size.Or you can take the Kobo Aura h2o . The Kobo Aura One seems too large to me for an ereader .
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
In the end , if you are looking for a larger screen either buy a Kindle Oasis or wait for kindle paperwhite 4 , hopefully it is a 7" screen...
I doubt the Paperwhite will ever have a 7" screen. If they do, that will leave only the basic with a 6" screen and not everyone wants a larger screen.

Quote:
...it will feature comfort light that is for sure but i am not sure about the screen size.
Where are you getting the news that it will have color changing front light for sure? It might have one. It might not.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #74
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Where are you getting the news that it will have color changing front light for sure? It might have one. It might not.
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...rtlight-system

This is the only source i trust concerning ereaders.
The new paperwhite will have audio books and comfortlight. I do hope they will release a model with a larger screen or at least sell two models 6" and 7" .
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #75
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Trusting Goodereader on anything is a bad idea, they've frequently made up "news" in the past.
Abtacha is online now   Reply With Quote