Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Xanderal
Xanderal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Issues with Calibre Connecting to Paperwhite and Sending Metadata

Thanks in advance for checking out my post and any help you can provide. I'll start by pasting some error logs I've saved:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.40.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'G:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 463, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 150, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'G:\\driveinfo.calibre'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calibre, version 2.40.0

[Errno 13] Permission denied: u'G:\\metadata.calibre'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 533, in _sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 442, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 439, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'G:\\metadata.calibre'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calibre, version 2.40.0

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'G:\\driveinfo.calibre'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 463, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 150, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'G:\\driveinfo.calibre'
I have tried resetting my device, formatting to FAT32, and different USB cords and ports all multiple times.

After facotry resetting the Kindle Calibre will connect to it and send it the files, however I will then get an error regarding the metadata. If I disconnect and try to reconnect it will no longer recognize the device. Once when the books were on the device it would not open them. The most recent time when I try and open a book in the Kindle it tells me that it is not on my device and it disappears.

I've looked through other threads, but I have had trouble finding a case that matches what I am experiencing. Hopefully this doesn't come across as too rambling. I am happy to entertain any suggestions/advice and I will provide any other info that is needed.

Thanks!
Xanderal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That seems very much like a flaky device. Repeated errors during reading files from the device memory indicate that most likely the memory is failing or the device I/O controller is flaky.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Xanderal

Thank you for replying. Is there any way to verify or troubleshoot that specific device issue that you know of? I'm unfortunately out of the warranty period. My Kindle used to work fine with Calibre, but that was a few months and a few updates ago.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your best option is to call Amazon and tell them of the problem and find out what they are willing to do for you. It does look like you need a replacement Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Xanderal

Hi guys. Thanks again for offering your help and checking out my post.

I wanted to update and let you know that I figured out the problem. As annoying as it is the issue was my anti virus software. It was flagging Calibre-associated files and quarantining/removing them. For the record, the software was Bitdefender Total Security 2015. Once I uninstalled it Calibre once again had no problem connecting to my Kindle and sending books to it.

Thanks again for developing Calibre. Keep up the great work!
Advert