Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Daltanious
Daltanious began at the beginning.

Device: KT & PW2
Help a noob to jailbreak K5

Hello guys,

I tried to do it alone reading post after post but I'm just too noob to do a proper jailbreak

Here the fact: I got a Kindle Touch serial number B011 with the 5.3.7.2 firmware and I would like to jailbreak it. The kindle is was resetted to factory default but my first try always ended in a update error 3...

Could somebody point me to the right tutorial for the jailbreaking of this specific model?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Daltanious; 06-28-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wrong firmware version
Daltanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltanious View Post
Here the fact: I got a Kindle Touch serial number B011 with the 5.7.2 firmware...
That seems unlikely. I do not believe that firmware runs on that model.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The latest firmware for that model is 5.3.7.3.

The jailbreak is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Double check your device info.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 06-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Daltanious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
My bad I wrote a wrong number, the right one is 5.3.7.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The latest firmware for that model is 5.3.7.3.

The jailbreak is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Double check your device info.
Thank you, I will start again from scratch!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
Daltanious

Ok... I did it!
Jailbreak + KUAL and finally I can use the nice program pbchess on my KT.

I would like to know also how to block the (forced) OTA updates, is that possible?

Thanks for your support!
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok... I did it!
Jailbreak + KUAL and finally I can use the nice program pbchess on my KT.

I would like to know also how to block the (forced) OTA updates, is that possible?

Thanks for your support!
Glad to be of assistance.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
- - - -!
Not required, Amazon has stopped issuing new firmware for that model years ago.
The worse that can happen is 5.3.7.2 -> 5.3.7.3 (which you might want to do manually, right now).
Your new jail break will survive the update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
Daltanious

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not required, Amazon has stopped issuing new firmware for that model years ago.
The worse that can happen is 5.3.7.2 -> 5.3.7.3 (which you might want to do manually, right now).
Your new jail break will survive the update.
After the jailbreak I updated my KT to 5.3.7.3 (the JB survived like you said) and instead of installing more stuff in order to block the OTA update I just created a "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder as suggested on other threads. I was wondering if that would be enough but your information is reassuring

Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
After the jailbreak I updated my KT to 5.3.7.3 (the JB survived like you said) and instead of installing more stuff in order to block the OTA update I just created a "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder as suggested on other threads. I was wondering if that would be enough but your information is reassuring

Have no worries.
Your older device should not update.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That will do no harm.

Amazon stopped issuing firmware updates for that device years ago.
(And also stopped for the newer PW-1 (original PW) Kindle.)

The currently oldest device still supported with firmware updates is the PW-2.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #11
Daltanious

I wonder also if it's possible to completely backup the whole 4GB space and reinstall if needed?

Is that possible?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I wonder also if it's possible to completely backup the whole 4GB space and reinstall if needed?

Is that possible?
You can see over 3Gbyte of it over the USB cable already.
There is one rather small 'user data' area that you can not see, which occupies partition number 3.

Both of those the system can re-create on start-up if required.
But your welcome to keep a back-up of the content of those areas.

There are directions here on how to create backup files of the system portions of both systems, both kernels, and the device/owner specific data stored outside of the partitioned area (the touchscreen kindles are dual boot).

Try the sticky thread with "Where do I start?" in the title.
And/Or
Use the index filter to display threads tagged with the prefix: K5

Of course, if your the old school type, you can use the search facility of this forum (or of google (site:mobileread.com)).

Last edited by knc1; 06-30-2017 at 08:14 AM.