Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #16
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
@embryo, sad to read you never got a stable suspend.

On my H2O suspend is now pretty solid although there have been a couple of times when I experienced drainage during suspend, but I think these was caused by my touching the screen before suspend was complete i.e. before the screensaver image came up, and perhaps that caused something to continue looping even though the device appeared to be asleep. (I could be wrong and maybe using suspend in Koreader is just less stable than in Coolreader, where it works correctly every time).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
Maybe its my device, but until something new happens from the devs, its back to Shut down, which is not that bad after all! ;o)
How long it lasts (approximately) when you shut it off?

And I also think that shutting it off is the safest way if we won't read it for a longer period of time (here I mean, hours, days, not weeks, months). Even if CR suspend script worked for me, my device boots up pretty fast compared to my old Sony.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #18
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
How long it lasts (approximately) when you shut it off?
It looks like for ever, but I really don't know.
I can open it after days and the battery will be were I left it.
Its a few more seconds on opening but worth it...
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I meant, how long it lasts between battery charges when you're reading, e.g. you can read for a month, two, three... and then you need to recharge again. I know that battery dissipation is very small, only clock and what battery looses standing is lost when device is shut off.

And, I just downloaded latest CoolReader (2015.12) and took a look at current suspend.sh and wifi-off.sh is just what before was in suspend file I used when testing. Removing it indicates that this doesn't affect suspending device. I didn't use wifi while testing.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Sorry, I meant, how long it lasts between battery charges when you're reading, e.g. you can read for a month, two, three... and then you need to recharge again.
I suppose its the same as in Nickel, but counting the days, weeks etc. is not very accurate since it depends on the hours of actual reading.

So I tried an other way.
I asked tshering in his KSM thread for a way to count the time I read and he was kind enough to give me a command to add to my power-off script to measure the uptime of the reader.

It would be nice if someone with bash knowledge could improve it to give us somehow the total time, since now I have to make the counting manually, and to format it in a more readable way e.g.:
  • uptime: 0:00:14:32 (total 0:02:42:56)
  • idle: 0:00:13:32 (total 0:02:24:31)
  • battery: 68%
but even in its current form is working better than anything else.

My only problem is that I have to connect the reader to the PC sometimes (for copying books or whatever) and so it gets charged and the counting after that it doesn't represent "one charge" anymore.
The only time I can check it is when I'm on vacations, where I really use the battery almost to the end...
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #21
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
On my H20, suspend works reasonably well now.

For people who use my old shutdown / lighttoggle button workaround, I actually wrote modified version for using only one of these buttons some time ago, but somehow forgot to ever release it. Might be useful for the smaller devices. I just uploaded this updated version here .

Haven't tested recently, but think it should work with most recent koreader. Report back if it doesn't.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
Alan_S
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
You mean, with original koreader's suspend script? Or did you mean with CoolReader's?
Old 02-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post

For people who use my old shutdown / lighttoggle button workaround, I actually wrote modified version for using only one of these buttons some time ago, but somehow forgot to ever release it. Might be useful for the smaller devices. I just uploaded this updated version here .

Haven't tested recently, but think it should work with most recent koreader. Report back if it doesn't.
The thing I wonder about that approach is if the book position, highlights, and any other settings newly applied, get properly recorded, with the direct shutdown? My current procedure is to first go to File Manager, then shutdown, to KSM and use the Power Off there. I have used your old patch, and it worked well on my Aura HD.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #24
Alan_S
Evangelist

I never had problems with book position, etc.

But, usually I don't change options, just read page, decide to call a day and shut it off. I always end on last opened page.

Did you had problems, or just suspect you could have problems?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I never had problems with book position, etc.

But, usually I don't change options, just read page, decide to call a day and shut it off. I always end on last opened page.

Did you had problems, or just suspect you could have problems?
Just concerned that some of the preparation to shutdown code/process might get bypassed, by the direct shutdown. As I remember it though, it used the KSM Power Off function, so it would only be the KOReader safe file closing that would be at issue. If it is keeping the position in the file, that answers my question and all is good.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #26
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The thing I wonder about that approach is if the book position, highlights, and any other settings newly applied, get properly recorded, with the direct shutdown?
At least I'm not aware of any problems in that regard. Think I'm calling the same cleanup functions as when switching to filemanager. But I'm not using the shutdown option all that much. If anyone experiences a problem, I'd like to hear about it.

@Alan_S: Currently using Coolreader suspend.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #27
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a workaround, but I use KOReader with KSM's KOReader/Nickel switch and have KOReader configured to load most recent file on launch. Then, when I want to suspend my H2O for more than a short while, I just switch back to Nickel. This means about 8 seconds of overhead to return from "suspend" (switching back to KOReader). Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 04-04-2016 at 06:15 AM.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #28
Alan_S
Evangelist

Koreader recently had many changes with suspend.sh script (for Kobo devices).

I didn't tested how it behaves now, but latest nightly has them and some can try and test how koreader suspends now. From looking at code, maybe problems is really solved.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #29
embryo
Fanatic

Mesure battery duration for KSM

I just started a thread for an updated version of tshering's "Uptime" script that I use with KSM7 and Koreader.

I think that with that mod its a nice combination for measuring the Kobo's battery performance.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that current versions of KOReader now have native shutdown and light toggle options.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote