Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #151
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you can also end up with broken YouTube links that you don't know is broken until you click the link. At least when the embedded video, you know it's gone without the need to click.
That's a bit of stretch.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:13 AM   #152
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
So, did this actually get implemented yet by anyone?
Yeah, bookeen uses it along with adobe.

I stick with adobe for now, because i can remove it and actually enjoy the stuff I paid for.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 AM   #153
GiulioP
GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am about to but a new ebook reader, either the Onyx of the Likebook (under 9', still have to decide). I am now wondering if they are compatible with this relatively new DRM system, LCP...
GiulioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:55 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiulioP View Post
I am about to but a new ebook reader, either the Onyx of the Likebook (under 9', still have to decide). I am now wondering if they are compatible with this relatively new DRM system, LCP...
There is no known Reader that's compatible with this new DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #155
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The last cybooks are. (Notéa and diva )
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
The last cybooks are. (Notéa and diva )
Are any of them for sale?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #157
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe Notéa, but the Elipsa sounds a lot better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #158
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Tolino.
Onleihe App.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:02 AM   #159
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Hi Giulio, it seems that italian library network will start 28 october with new applications for handling readium lcp on ios/android/windows/os x / linux.

Quote:
Oltre a computer, smartphone e tablet con la nostra app MLOL Ebook Reader, potrai leggere gli ebook protetti con Readium LCP su e-reader compatibili – Bookeen HD Diva, Onyx Boox Note 2, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Tolino.
If you can wait another couple of weeks i can make a test on my Nova 2
(and we can have an app to test newer or different brand devices)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #160
GiulioP
GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Hi Giulio, it seems that italian library network will start 28 october with new applications for handling readium lcp on ios/android/windows/os x / linux.

If you can wait another couple of weeks i can make a test on my Nova 2
(and we can have an app to test newer or different brand devices)
thank you underscore, I just read the news on the medialibrary website.
I guess that newer devices from onyx will be compatible with lcp as well...

otherwise, will it be possible to download the epub from the library and copy it to the ereader?
GiulioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:03 AM   #161
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
thank you underscore, I just read the news on the medialibrary website.
I guess that newer devices from onyx will be compatible with lcp as well...

otherwise, will it be possible to download the epub from the library and copy it to the ereader?
I guess the app will be one for all android devices so yes, should work also with whatever other android device like smartphones, tablet, newer onyx devices.
My fear is that lended books will be confined in that one specific single reading app, which will likely be a basic one.
Would be cool if it allow to launch default onyx apps (that allow, for instance, sketching with the pen or using dictionaries)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:33 AM   #162
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Out of interest, I decided to look into what this new DRM system is and how exactly it works, and I figured out a couple things that might be of interest (which have also been discussed in this thread). No idea if this information is new or if this is already known, but I figured it couldn't hurt to write this down here:

- Once a book license file (.lcpl file, like an .acsm for Adobe) has been turned into a DRMed eBook, there's no longer a need to contact the license server. Standard-compliant readers do still periodically ping the server for whatever reason, but when that connection fails (Reader offline, server down, ...) it still allows you to open the book. It only locks the book if the server deliberately sends a message to do so. So even if the server disappears from the internet, as long as you know your book retailer's account credentials you will always be able to read the book on compatible devices. Unless a retailer deliberately revokes all licenses before shutting down, but why would they do that.

- I have created a Calibre plugin which can turn a LCPL book license file for this new DRM into an EPUB or PDF file encrypted with this new DRM. This process does not need any account credentials, other than with Adobe's ACSM files an LCPL file for this new DRM already contains the necessary account information. This does not help you if your Reader isn't compatible with the new DRM, but it does help you get LCP-protected eBooks onto a compatible Reader without having a working internet connection on that Reader.

- IMHO, this new DRM isn't much more difficult to crack than the old (ADE 2.0) Adobe DRM, so when book retailers actually start using this and drop ADE support (or enforce the not-yet-cracked ADE4.5 variant), I'd assume that someone will quickly release some kind of DRM removal tool for this DRM. I'm not going to do that, though, since I don't want to get into legal trouble.

- The DRM scheme *can* be "updated" (as they call it) once a public crack is available, but that's an update process more like with Adobe's switch from 2.0 to 4.5 (= meaning, new server software for distributors and new firmware updates for readers and stuff) and not like with Amazon where they can seemlessly update the DRM every once in a while, so I doubt the DRM would be updated often.

Last edited by Leseratte_10; 10-08-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #163
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no such thing as uncrackable DRM and the Analogue view (or listen) allows commercial pirates to perfectly capture anyway.

DRM only benefits the companies selling DRM.

The revocation sounds a bit like Bluray DRM that wants an Internet connection. Better off never connecting the player to the Internet!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #164
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
You just need to keep backups of the original books.

If I understand the standard correctly, then the client is supposed to update the license definition file included in the eBook whenever it receives a status update (like a revocation) from the server. So if you are able to open a particular book right now, and you make a backup of that book file, you'll always be able to open that book even if the license gets revoked (as long as you know your account password). The reader might update (and invalidate) the copy that it has, but if that happens all you'd have to do is disconnect the reader from the internet, replace the revoked book file with the book file from your backup, and then you'll be able to open it again.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #165
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
You should be liberating you Kindle eBooks NOW and not waiting. If something was to change whereby you were no longer able to remove the DRM, all those eBooks would be screwed. So do it now and keep DRM free copies. There are plenty of people who have lost eBooks thinking I can download them later from the eBookstore and then the store goes away and the eBooks get lost. So don't wait. Do it now.
I also agree. I immediately liberate all ebooks and audio files I download. If I ever encountered an issue with liberation I would return the file, that’s why I do it immediately.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote