Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Too many formats on my Palm.

246 Mobipocket
368 TealDoc and Plucker by 59 authors

That's what's on my SD card currently. I don't know exactly how many are TealDoc and how many are Plucker format. Before I started using Mobi, I'd move the Plucker ones to main RAM one at a time. (That was on the Visor I used to have.)

I have a huge number more that are in some Palm format, possibly PalmDoc. I imported one into MakeDoc jr Editor and it looked fine.

I want to settle on just one reader app, preferably with these specifications.

1. Must allow user to store books anywhere AND open them without requiring they be added to a "library".
TealDoc meets this one. Mobi and Plucker come up goose egg. I have TealDoc 5.56. (For some unknown, insane reason, they made the way later versions browse for and open files more complicated. It wasn't broke but they "fixed" it.)

2. Must have a format that supports embedded images.
All three have support for this one, but *nobody*, including TealSoft, have bothered to create a book converter that converts images to TealPaint format and embed them into TealDoc files. So zilch for TealDoc and first points for the other two.

3. Screen rotation support, both 'soft' and hardware rotation.
All three do both, but Mobi resets to portrait every time its launched (and it only rotates clockwise so left handers have to tap the icon three times to rotate 90 degrees left). Plucker must have at least one book in its library before it even shows the rotation option. TealDoc's own rotation works any time, never forgets, rotates left and right.

4. Works with 320x480.
Ye Olde TealDoc 5.56 only groks square screens. I expect newer versions will go long/wide, but there's the horrible file handling... The other two, no problem, especially since the LifeDrive's button bypasses their software rotation foibles.

5. Auto-scroll through list of files when the button is held down.
TealDoc goes by pages. (Really really fast on the LifeDrive.)
I dunno about Plucker, never did toss a whole bunch of books into main RAM or its library folder on a card.
Mobi is pure FAIL on this one. Have. To. Click. One. File. At. A. Time. It does have a scroll thing one may tap and drag, but if you tap a file it opens it. If you click up or down it jumps back to where the selection highlight is. If success was measured by managing files worse than newer versions of TealDoc, Mobi wins by a mile.

So you see the issues. Mobi and Plucker force the user to put all their books, unsorted, either into main RAM or one specific folder on a card. No pictures for TealDoc and while newer TealDoc versions probably support the "big" screen, they take about 2x the time/taps just to open a file.

Therefore none of the three meet all my qualifications for a nearly ideal reader.

If only Mobipocket or Plucker had the file handling of TealDoc 5.56!

What Palm reader software is there that doesn't have something annoyingly silly going on like these three, and is freeware? I want something I can settle on and get all my current and future books converted for - because it looks like I'll be using this LifeDrive (with Microdrive replaced with a 4gig CF) for quite some time yet.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote