Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2023, 06:05 AM   #961
Tidus990
Tidus990 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus990 View Post
I have the Kindle PW2 on 5.12.2.2 (2061450038). Followed everything to the letter and the jailbreak script was running after reboot. But I seem to have post jailbreak problems: When I copy the Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to root I get an "update error" and the file get's deleted. Is there anything I can do?
The Popcorn Jailbreak worked for my Kindle PW2 on 5.12.2.2 in the end:

1. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345655 used the windows version by ygjsz https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=17

2. exchanged the kernel.bin in wario\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware with the updated payload from beyonik https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=72 (rename beyoniks uImage-popcorn-wario.bin to kernel.bin)

3. basically followed the tutorial by Vlash https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=61

additionally my process:
-I jammed the opened up kindle between something to keep it standing on it's side, kept the usb connected with pc, just ejected it via the option from the taskbar

- then opened the prepared mfgtool (see 1 and 2) and clicked start, so that it was waiting for a device

- then bridged the contacts and held them while confirming the restart in kindle device options.

-I only stopped bridging the contacts when mfgtool loaded the payload.

4. after the successful jailbreak and boot I copied the hotfixes by beyonik https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=73 one after the other, to root and installed via "update your kindle"
Tidus990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:48 AM   #962
jma1
Connoisseur
jma1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does this procedure work for KV running version 5.13.6? The factory reset forces me to connect to wifi and register the device.

At jailbreak Step 6 all I can do is eject the device from the PC. At Step 9 when selecting User Guide it displays the guide but nothing else happens.
jma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 09:51 AM   #963
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma1 View Post
Does this procedure work for KV running version 5.13.6? The factory reset forces me to connect to wifi and register the device.

At jailbreak Step 6 all I can do is eject the device from the PC. At Step 9 when selecting User Guide it displays the guide but nothing else happens.
I can confirm the JB works for a KV running 5.13.6 as that's what I have. I did the JB a while ago but I seem to recall the only issue being the gestures. You can skip the wifi connection but it's not obvious how to skip it. You might be able to "X" out of the available wifi networks window?

Good luck!
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:21 AM   #964
jma1
Connoisseur
jma1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for that. I was able to cancel out of wi-fi connect simply by hitting the X on the dialogue box (did not think that would suffice). After passing that hurdle all the other steps went well and the OTA binaries block is now running on the device.
jma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #965
chinpou
chinpou began at the beginning.

Unhappy

I may have made a grave mistake.. I've gone through all the steps, only to realize that I skipped Jailbreak step 4.

So I thought I'd go back and copy demo.json to the .demo folder, but now my kindle doesn't appear as a drive on my computer.

Am I screwed?

FW 5.12.2.2

Thank you
chinpou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #966
chinpou

Disregard my previous post; I was a able to factory reset and try again. And then again with airplane mode on.

Upon completion, my Kindle still boots the initial OS, not the JB os. I have no idea how to boot the JB os.

The only indication that maybe I did something wrong: the jb install text displayed over top of the kindle os splash screen; is this normal? Image:

https://i.imgur.com/EaBW8cs.jpg

Not sure what to do! Any advice would be appreciated.

PW2 5.12.2.2
Old 07-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #967
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinpou View Post
Upon completion, my Kindle still boots the initial OS, not the JB os. I have no idea how to boot the JB os.

PW2 5.12.2.2
There is no JB OS. All the JB does is install the mobileread signed developer key, which allows installation of mobileread packages, some of which provide root access, which allows doing almost anything.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #968
chinpou

Oh great thanks for the response! I was expecting my kindle to look like the one in the screenshot at the bottom of the original post.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #969
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinpou View Post
I was expecting my kindle to look like the one in the screenshot at the bottom of the original post.
That is an example of kterm running. kterm is a terminal emulator that can only be installed on a jailbroken kindle.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #970
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

I want to thank everyone again that contributed to answering questions or posting steps. I just successfully performed a jailbreak and downgrade on my newly acquired Oasis 9th Gen that came with 5.14.1. It now sports 5.13.6.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:00 PM   #971
riothamus
Connoisseur

I guess I spoke too soon. I have a very weird situation that I haven't seen before and couldn't find anyone else reporting anywhere. The Oasis is working fine except that when in a book, the drop down menu (when you tap the top of the screen) doesn't have the "Aa", "Goto", or bookmark buttons. The entire bar is just not there while the regular home, back, settings, goodreads, and store buttons are all there. I've also noticed that Series Grouping isn't an option in device settings.

I got my firmware from when I downgraded from the amazon servers. It registers fine and books can be delivered. Everything else I've tried seems to work properly. I've restarted several times. I can only think to try to flash the firmware again, upgrade to 5.13.7, or try a factory reset. Before I try any of that I thought I'd reach out here.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #972
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riothamus View Post
I guess I spoke too soon. I have a very weird situation that I haven't seen before and couldn't find anyone else reporting anywhere. The Oasis is working fine except that when in a book, the drop down menu (when you tap the top of the screen) doesn't have the "Aa", "Goto", or bookmark buttons. The entire bar is just not there while the regular home, back, settings, goodreads, and store buttons are all there. I've also noticed that Series Grouping isn't an option in device settings.

I got my firmware from when I downgraded from the amazon servers. It registers fine and books can be delivered. Everything else I've tried seems to work properly. I've restarted several times. I can only think to try to flash the firmware again, upgrade to 5.13.7, or try a factory reset. Before I try any of that I thought I'd reach out here.
You should probably ask in the downgrade thread.

I think after a downgrade sometimes a reset is needed. Of course, after a reset, everything JB related needs to be reinstalled.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #973
riothamus
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You should probably ask in the downgrade thread.

I think after a downgrade sometimes a reset is needed. Of course, after a reset, everything JB related needs to be reinstalled.
Thanks, I got around it for now by upgrading to 5.13.7 and using the CHROM_CONFIG edits to get back the previous UI. That fixed the Aa and Goto buttons. Still no Series grouping, but I notice on my Voyage there isn't an option for that either.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:23 AM   #974
Hammerhand
Hammerhand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
One question begging for your help. Kindle updated to 5.15.1.1 by himself and lost access to kual; I tried following this tutorial and entered demo mode but I can't update with hotfix.

After that I found out a way to make kual work again, but now I am stuck in demo mode and don't know how to reset it. It wouldn't matter me but when I enter koreader, the device never get suspended.

Any help to go out from demo mode?

Thanks.
Hammerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:35 AM   #975
manotroll
manotroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Is it possible to downgrade the Kindle Paperwhite (11th Generation)
I'm on 5.15.1
manotroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak