Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
iPad pro

I picked up an iPad pro and couple of days ago and what a great ebook experience! I can read the full page for PDF's and magazines in Zineo without any problem. Given that I'm tottering right on that edge of needing reading glasses, that's a good thing. Now, maybe I'll actually read all the magazines (both Zineo and PDF fornat) that I haven't gotten around to reading.

Plus, all that extra screen room for ebooks. Probably a bit pricey purely as an ebook reader, but it also is a very good replacement for my laptop, so I'll be removing that from my bag and saving some weight.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
You are misunderstanding somethings here.

iPad Pro is great to read newspapers, magazines and other facsimile stuff. For example, I have scanned some first editions of some Jules Verne books and it a pleasure read them in the Pro (it was a pleasure do it in the Air). And I use to read Analog SFF and Asimov's from Magzter.

But. And there is a serious but, for plain text ebooks is a nightmare. As when ebook software passed from iPhone to iPad (in those legendary days, ahem), most applications only made it compatible with the new device. But they need to offer more than column because iPad was (is) a lot of wider than iPhone... I had a lot of complains about that with the app developers, and those thad didn't update, died (for example mobireader, that was a very good software in iPhone but bad in iPad).

And now the problem returns back, like the Empire. iPad Pro screen is too big for two column reading (even in portrait). If you wan read comfortably in a Pro, you need to have big margins. Now is time that reading applications allow more than two columns, even in portrait mode.

Or even to forgot the "book" metaphor and made great and imaginative things, like Marvin in their first times (now it is almost abandoned and even it hasn't been update to the iPad Pro). Things like left some space to make hand pencil annotations in one side, or left space to show some context information related to the page you are reading... For example, if the word "Moscow" appears, show some images of the city, or if appears a street, show images of that street, or treat to pair some texts with other texts (for example: this phrase is based in the famous novel of Dickens blah, blah, blah).

I know, I know, that requires a lot of semantic and IA investigations, but we need to start. If nobody starts, nobody will continue. Marvin started but stopped (Yes, I know Gerty and form me is an incredible piece of crap -my opinion).

Last edited by rfog; 02-28-2016 at 05:40 AM. Reason: syntax correction
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think I am misunderstanding anything. I use my iPad to read. I don't particularly like the two column read. Do they put two columns in hard backs just because hard backs are bigger than paper backs?

Yea, I'm a bit disappointed that development on Marvin has been put on hold, as well, but that's what happens when you have one man shops and a revenue model that makes it more of a hobby than a living. There are a lot of improvements, especially on the sync with Calibre side, that I would like to see. Can't really blame him though.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of course we cannot blame Martin devs for not updating their application, we have to blame Apple to not to give the possibility of paid updates.

However, I would happily paid a subscription fee to enable sync across devices (for example) as a matter of support app. I purchased the "color customization" for the same reason, and I purchase first iPhone, first iPad and then Universal app...

PS: Sorry for my words about "misunderstanding", I'm Spanish talking and sometimes seriously mistake English meaning. My intention was to say "I don like read plain text ebooks in iPad Pro" instead of saying you are wrong or so.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, ok, I understand. Thanks for explaining. I appreciate that. I tend to use a lot of colloquialisms where I write, that I imagine cause some to go "Huh?" Don't worry, your English is a heck of a lot better than my Spanish or German.

One of the nice things about being in an app rich environment is that different apps can meet different requirements and preferences. I use Marvin because the book management is better than anything else out there and the reader is good enough. I find some of the more supported reading apps, such as Kindle and iBook, better for reading a specific book, especially since both do a better job of syncing between devices.

I don't really blame Apple or the developer. The issue is more people's expectation that things should be free, or that if they pay $1 once, then that should cover the cost of developing the app for eternity. Calibre is free, but the developer makes it easy to send him some of my loose change from time to time (that reminds me...). Perhaps more developers should take that model. Make the app free, and include a link that says if you like the app you can sign up for a $5 (or whatever) per year subscription to keep the updates coming. Think about how much money you require to make ends meet, then consider how you would get that much money on a yearly basis (don't forget to add in the various taxes) if you were the developer.

Plus, of course, as a developer myself, I know that it's pretty easy to get bored with a project after a few years, especially once you have all the major things done.
Advert
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
My husband and I both have the iPad Pro. He started off reading paperback type books on the device. I sat there and laughed at him while I read on a kindle PW and pointed to his unused kindle PW. A week or so later he was asking me to put books on his Kindle. Go figure I use the Pro to read multiple textbooks and PDF powerpoints at the same time to help my son with his Biology class. You can get lots done with tabbed books.

I haven't had any issues or problems with the looks of apps that are designed for the regular ipad on my pro. I've used an iPad since 2010. What I did was spend a couple days looking for better apps that fit the Pro and were upgraded for split screen (PDF Expert, note taking software, File Manager, etc). This has made the Pro far more productive than I could have imagined. I put a bluetooth keyboard on it a couple times and it isn't too bad. If it allowed me to use the trackpad next to the keyboard, it would be amazing!
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
rfog
Guru

@harriska2, what you want is the new MacBook 2012.

I have both (iPad Pro + MB 2012) and sometimes I stop using iPad and take the MB because of keyboard + trackpad. and vice-versa. I have a Logitech K810 connected with the iPad Pro but sometimes if I wake-up from sofa to take it, I left the iPad and take the MB.

For me, one of the worst things of the Pro is it's weight. Too heavy to handle by hand and/or support in my belly.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
@harriska2, what you want is the new MacBook 2012.

I have both (iPad Pro + MB 2012) and sometimes I stop using iPad and take the MB because of keyboard + trackpad. and vice-versa. I have a Logitech K810 connected with the iPad Pro but sometimes if I wake-up from sofa to take it, I left the iPad and take the MB.

For me, one of the worst things of the Pro is it's weight. Too heavy to handle by hand and/or support in my belly.
While the iPad Pro is a very nice tablet, IMO it is not ideal device for casual reading, or for that matter, serious research while reading PDFs. To be comfortable, a person will have to support the iPad Pro on a desk in some sort of awkward cradle mount. At that point a good laptop will be the better option, especially if you are connecting a keyboard. It would be much easier for me to read large sized PDFs on my MacBook Pro and do whatever research I need to thereon rather than using the smaller screen iPad Pro with slower processor and clunky apps/file saving capability.

While the iPad Pro is probably a great device for finger and stylus input/navigation usage, if a person requires a keyboard much of the time then carrying the iPad Pro, a keyboard, and a cradle around is going to be very clunky and not nearly as easy as just carrying around a good laptop. I see the iPad Pro as being a truly great device for artwork, photography, and other endeavors that require or benefit from a lot of stylus usage. For text input or laptop replacement, not so much.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Reportedly, Apple is releasing a 10" iPad Pro (what would have been iPad Air 3, but with some of the Pro hardware features, A9X, Pencil support etc.). Presumably they'll keep the weight about the same as Air 2.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
While the iPad Pro is a very nice tablet, IMO it is not ideal device for casual reading, or for that matter, serious research while reading PDFs. To be comfortable, a person will have to support the iPad Pro on a desk in some sort of awkward cradle mount. At that point a good laptop will be the better option, especially if you are connecting a keyboard. It would be much easier for me to read large sized PDFs on my MacBook Pro and do whatever research I need to thereon rather than using the smaller screen iPad Pro with slower processor and clunky apps/file saving capability.

While the iPad Pro is probably a great device for finger and stylus input/navigation usage, if a person requires a keyboard much of the time then carrying the iPad Pro, a keyboard, and a cradle around is going to be very clunky and not nearly as easy as just carrying around a good laptop. I see the iPad Pro as being a truly great device for artwork, photography, and other endeavors that require or benefit from a lot of stylus usage. For text input or laptop replacement, not so much.
Actually, I have a logitech keyboard/case for the iPad Pro that works like a champ. I use that when I'm at work. There is no need for a cradle. I use a leather case when I'm at home and don't need the keyboard. I wouldn't use the iPad pro for reading when I'm in bed, but it works quite well when I'm sitting in my easy chair.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
We have a 13" MBP that we just bought in October for the boy. He and I both prefer the ipads. Didn't like the new little Mac Book 12". To Each His Own...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
Althelney
Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.Althelney can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad
I just got an iPad Pro this week!

I like reading books in landscape mode (it's almost identical to an iPad Air in portrait, but x2) but the real joy is manga and comics.

Manga in landscape (two pages up) looks just amazing, finally I can experience the page flow as it is in print without having to squint!

And for Western comics, they look amazing as well. The average comic is 10.5" x 7", so that old 9.4" x 6.7" screen on the Air was juuuust a little bit too small to render things properly, leading to a lot of zooming in and out. The Pro's 12.9" x 8.7" screen, on the other hand, can comfortably render a page large enough that you can read easily and also experience the details of the art properly, like you would be able to in print.
Althelney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I actually really like reading ePubs in Marvin on my iPad Pro. I read two columns in portrait. It's nice to have so few page turns in a chapter.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #14
rfog
Guru

For Magazines like Scientific American or Investigación y Ciencia (Spanish version of SA), and reading facsimile editions (Astounding, If, ...) is a perfect companion too.

For me the pencil is the thing that makes the difference. It is not fully integrated into system like Surface Pro one, but even this, for me, is more functional and precise than the Surface.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
What other functions do people use the pencil for besides art? Thanks!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote