Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try to install things.

The "Jailbreak" banner only shows up when the jailbreak first happens (or gets renewed) -- so you shouldn't expect to see it anymore anyway.

If you want to install Duokan -- can you even? I know the Duokan people don't play nice with our jailbreak keys. Might be a better idea to try KOReader.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-30-2015 at 01:01 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sbmk: If by 'KT' you meant a KT2, and you used the release version of the JailBreak package, then, yes, the eips prints are broken on a KT2, and you wouldn't see the jailbreak tag.

The snapshots *should* handle the KT2 better, though. Can't remember if there were any core tweaks needed for the KT2, though, so I'm going to assume you're good to go no matter what. Just use the snapshots versions for any of my stuff.

@eschwartz's comment is on point though, the KT2 is a completely different beast than the KT, so if it's not supported by Duokan, it's probably for a very good reason, so I'd save myself a paperweight and forget about it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmk View Post
- - - - -
eips: pixel_in_range> (528, 936) pixel not in range (0..600, 0..800)
eips: pixel_in_range> (544, 936) pixel not in range (0..600, 0..800)

Is it supposed to be enough ? I don't see "Jailbreak" appear (I'v tried with and without rebooting).
That was your "jailbreak" tag - the pixels that are out of range.
It was already reported, and may be fixed now in Niluje's snapshots.
Quote:
My main goal is to install Duokan, but I'm not sure I can go any further.
You have gone too far, Duokan will not install with our jailbreak present.
You must install Duokan before installing our jailbreak.

If you have found where the Duokan project has released a version for any of the Kindles running series 5.6.x firmware (I don't think they have, they depend on our software jb, and we don't have a 5.6.x one);
You should announce the Duokan for 5.6.x you found in our Duokan support thread (with a working link).

As suggested above - forget Duokan and install KOreader.

Last edited by knc1; 06-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 AM   #64
sbmk
sbmk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@sbmk: If by 'KT' you meant a KT2, and you used the release version of the JailBreak package, then, yes, the eips prints are broken on a KT2, and you wouldn't see the jailbreak tag.

The snapshots *should* handle the KT2 better, though. Can't remember if there were any core tweaks needed for the KT2, though, so I'm going to assume you're good to go no matter what. Just use the snapshots versions for any of my stuff.
It's the lastest "el cheapo" model, so it must be a Kindle6.

I've tried to install Kual, but I got an error popup telling me the application couldn't start, try again.

Last edited by sbmk; 06-30-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Forgot something
sbmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:43 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's the lastest "el cheapo" model, so it must be a Kindle6.

I've tried to install Kual, but I got an error popup telling me the application couldn't start, try again.
Please check the exact model nickname of your device.

Take the first four characters of the device's serial number and check in this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

(And the list is getting longer in about 12 hours when my PW3 arrives.)
Advert
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #66
sbmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please check the exact model nickname of your device.

Take the first four characters of the device's serial number and check in this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

(And the list is getting longer in about 12 hours when my PW3 arrives.)

90C6 Kindle Basic (2014)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
90C6 Kindle Basic (2014)
Nicknamed here as: KT2
(Because K4-2, which it is, would be too confusing.)
Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #68
sbmk

Quote:
Nicknamed here as: KT2
(Because K4-2, which it is, would be too confusing.)
So I was not totally wrong :-)

According to the FAQ here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326 my popup problem shouldn't be a real problem.
I tried to run KUAL later (about 10 hours later), but I'm still getting the error.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So I was not totally wrong :-)

According to the FAQ here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326 my popup problem shouldn't be a real problem.
I tried to run KUAL later (about 10 hours later), but I'm still getting the error.
Sounds like they screwed "Active Documents" -again- .

Go to:
menu -> settings -> menu -> device info
and tell us what firmware version and build code is installed.

(Ah, because KUAL worked on some of the early shipped KT2 devices.)
Old 07-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #70
x23are
x23are began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
hi friends.
i want to jailbreak my pw2 but i dont know how to do it? it isn't clear for me.

can i do this jailbreak with PL2303-USB-UART-Board??
or can i connect my pw2 directly to my pc com port? (i have an old asus mobo and it has a serial port (COM) ).

Last edited by x23are; 07-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
x23are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #71
sbmk

Quote:
Sounds like they screwed "Active Documents" -again- .

Go to:
menu -> settings -> menu -> device info
and tell us what firmware version and build code is installed.

(Ah, because KUAL worked on some of the early shipped KT2 devices.)
Firmware 5.6.0.1 (2467430002)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Firmware 5.6.0.1 (2467430002)
Thanks.
When I get mine running again, I'll check what firmware it has on it.
Maybe we can figure out where/when active document support was pulled.

There had been rumors that Amazon was going to remove active document support.
There have been times when they removed it by accident.

So all we can do is watch the situation for awhile and see if we can guess what they are doing now (accident or intentional).

7 666 Somehow appropriate.

Last edited by knc1; 07-01-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by x23are View Post
hi friends.
i want to jailbreak my pw2 but i dont know how to do it? it isn't clear for me.

can i do this jailbreak with PL2303-USB-UART-Board??
or can i connect my pw2 directly to my pc com port? (i have an old asus mobo and it has a serial port (COM) ).
On your Kindle, check:
home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> device info.
Then post what firmware version is currently installed.

Then, knowing what model (a pw2) and the firmware version, read through the first post of the jail break thread.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Translation: You may not have to use the serial port to jail break your PW2 (and keep it in airplane mode until you know).
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #74
x23are
x23are began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Quote:
On your Kindle, check:
home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> device info.
Then post what firmware version is currently installed.

Then, knowing what model (a pw2) and the firmware version, read through the first post of the jail break thread.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Translation: You may not have to use the serial port to jail break your PW2 (and keep it in airplane mode until you know).
i already checked it and it was 5.6.0.1.6 (it was updated by itself in first day! )
it model is paperwhite 2.

i searched whole dev section and i know i must JB it with serial port method.
but i am really confused.

i dont have any problem in soldering in smd board but my first question is :
Quote:
can i connect my pw2 directly to my pc com port? (i have an old asus mobo and it has a serial port (COM) )
x23are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by x23are View Post
i already checked it and it was 5.6.0.1.6 (it was updated by itself in first day! )
it model is paperwhite 2.

i searched whole dev section and i know i must JB it with serial port method.
but i am really confused.
Do not connect the Kindle serial port to a PC serial port.
The Kindle uses 1.8 volt levels, the PC something around 12 volt.
Your Kindle will not survive that combination.

Next, select the sticky thread: "Where do I start?"
Also known as the "Wiki Master Index"

Select "Hardware"

Select "Serial Port"

Use that as a starting point in your reading, rather than searching (although searching is sometimes required, not everything gets indexed).

For a PW-2, see at least:
"Paperwhite 2 serial port connections"
"MicroFTX" serial-to-USB adapter card.

The MicroFTX adapter is now (at least last week) back in stock.
That is the current recommendation - because of its lower cost.

More details about the MicroFTX starting in post #3 of my "KT2 Exposed" thread, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...20&postcount=3

Ignore thread title, that same connection pad layout has been used since the K4 through the PW3 released yesterday.
The only difference is the location on the PCB of the connection pad.

Hey, when you have a working, Gerber macro, you might as well use it.

You can take the external 1.8 volt reference from a Li/Fe chemistry battery.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8

The prior recommendation was to use the FTDI, wire ended, 1v8 interface level adapter cable.
Described here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...2RG_CABLES.pdf

You want the
TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
model adapter cable.
Just google for it, many distributors sell it.

Also in the master index linked section above you will find DIY level shifter circuit if all you can get is a 5v serial-to-USB adapter.

Last edited by knc1; 07-01-2015 at 08:49 PM.