Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
Teignager
Teignager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
How Can I Switch off Autoupdate?

Hi,

I have successfully downgraded firmware from 5.6.1 to 5.3.5 to enable me to jailbreak my Kindle Paperwhite 1 (PW1). The main resaon for the jailbreak was to install Collections Manager to enable me to place all my books into collections - most books are on PC - not bought from Amazon.

I believe that if I was to switch on my Wi-Fi then the update formware 5.6.1 would download and then automatically install? I take it that if this was the case then my PW1 would lose its jailbreak? If so is there a way to simply stop the auto update facility? (I would prefer to have Wi-Fi swiched on to enaable me to download the occasional book from Amazon etc).

Gordon
Teignager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219986
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Substitute "Directory" for all occurrences of "File".

Also, if staying with 5.3.x - the "Backdoor Lock" should work with that version.

Newer firmware versions can defeat "Backdoor Lock" and can almost defeat the special directory name blocker.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Teignager
Teignager began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Thanks - This solution worked. Now have Wi-Fi and the 5.6.1 update does not try and load up.
Teignager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto update, collections manager, jailbreak