Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
a12rodgers
a12rodgers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Unable to e-mail or transfer items to Kindle 3

Just got a Kindle 3 and just installed the newest version of Calibre (0.7.17?)

Anyway, I'm able to use Calibre to create and to convert documents. I can view them. They look great. No problem.

However, I cannot seem to get either major transfer method to work:

1. I'm unable to send any of the documents to my Kindle e-mail account. (I've confirmed that my Gmail settings are correct and tested. And I've sent a PDF to my Kindle.com address and had that show up as well, so the e-mail address isn't the problem.) Every document I try to send from Calibre to the Kindle account generates this error in Calibre:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'InProgress'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 68, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 339, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 933, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1149, in _add_new_copy
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\apple\driver.py", line 1090, in _add_library_book
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'InProgress'
2. When the Kindle is directly attached to my computer, I'm unable to transfer items there directly using the Send to Device option.

Note: I am able to copy them over manually to the Kindle's documents directory. So I know Calibre's documents are fine, as is the Kindle's connection to my computer, etc.

Please help! This seems like a terrific program, but only if I can get it working with my reader!
a12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont connect an apple device at the same time as the kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
a12rodgers

iTunes was open, but I don't think my iPod was connected. Should I retry (as in reboot everything) without the iPod being docked or iTunes being open?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just unplug your ipod and then connect your kindle
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
a12rodgers

OK. I'll try the connected version in a moment. But I'm still unable to send to e-mail. Am I doing this right?
1. Fetch news
2. Convert it to MOBI format.
3. Highlight it in the list and choose Connect/Share -> E-mail to XXXX@Kindle.com

When I do that, nothing happens. The "Jobs" status in the bottom doesn't change. And nothing shows up when I sync my Kindle.

(This is different than the first time I tried the new stuff, which generated the errors I posted above.)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
a12rodgers

The USB connection now works perfectly. Thanks!

- detected the Kindle right away
- "send to device" option displayed
- I selected three items, clicked that button, and the jobs fired off and were successful

Thanks! Half-way to complete bliss!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
a12rodgers

Figured it out. Calibre uses Gmail, and I didn't have my Gmail address listed as a permitted sender. Once I did that, they came through.

Thanks for a fantastic product. Once I've used it for a while, I'll be sure to donate!