Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2023, 06:03 PM   #871
MoeAndHisGhosts
MoeAndHisGhosts began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
KPW 2 not being recognized by Win10, stuck on step 2.1

Hello folks,
after looking around and not finding and answer to this issue I decided to make and account and *beg* for your help.

I'm currently stuck on step 2.1
I cannot "Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage" because my kindle PW2 (5.12.2.2) is not recognized by my PC.

I have tried literally every single USB cable I have, in every usb port in my pc, to no avail.

I tried using the ;uzb command while on demo mode but it did not help.

Could anyone offer any guidance?
Thank you very much
MoeAndHisGhosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:12 PM   #872
Mari123
Mari123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
AKA CVE-2022-23224, CVE-2022-23225, CVE-2022-23226 - full writeup with technical details to be released after 5.14.3 has been widely rolled out.

Thank you to NiLuJe, yparitcher and darkassassinua for adding KOReader support for PW5, repackaging all of the hacks and testing this jailbreak

This vulnerability is released in good faith and in the hope that other security researchers will utilise the access that it provides to assist Amazon/Lab126 in improving their security posture.

If you're concerned about the security of your device and do not wish to jailbreak, install firmware version 5.14.3 from this link - I've been working with Amazon to create a fix and can confirm that this version has been hardened against this vulnerability.

Additional thanks to everyone at Amazon/Lab126 who contributed towards this .

Finally, I encourage Amazon/Lab126 to provide a method of unlocking their devices that doesn't involve the need of a 0-day, both for security researchers and for technical users who are interested in modifying their devices. We know that your employees lurk here, use tools that we've created internally and that our ideas have been implemented by you more than once, so help us help you - I promise that we don't bite

Device Compatibility
Spoiler:

This jailbreak is compatible with Kindle devices running the following firmware versions:

KT3, KT4, KOA1, KOA2, KOA3, PW3, PW4, PW5:
5.14.1 (5.14.1.1 on PW5)

KV:

KT2, PW2:

You must use the exploit payload that matches your device/firmware combination exactly.

Download Link
watchthis-jailbreak-r03.zip

Installation
Please ensure that you have read the entirety of the instructions before proceeding.

Setup
  1. Factory reset the device. Make sure to use the "en_GB" or "English (United Kingdom)" locale when setting the language.
  2. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar after performing a factory reset
  3. Reboot the device
  4. Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted.
  5. Skip searching for a demo payload
  6. Select the "standard" demo type
  7. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content. Do not sideload the jailbreak at this stage.
  8. Once the demo is setup, skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
  9. Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
  10. Select the "Sideload Content" option

Jailbreak
  1. Connect the device to a PC and:
  2. Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Copy ${YOUR_DEVICE}-${YOUR_FW_VERSION}.zip to .demo/
  4. Copy demo.json to .demo/
  5. Create an empty folder at .demo/goodreads. Do not put any files in this folder.
  6. Press "Done" at the prompt to install the jailbreak script
  7. Exit the demo menu and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  8. If an application error occurs, hard reboot the device by holding the power button, enter the demo menu again and select Sideload Content -> Done once more without connecting to USB
  9. Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started"
  10. If jailbreaking KT2 or PW2, select the store button instead
  11. The device will reboot
  12. The jailbreak script will run during the next boot

Post Jailbreak
  1. After the device has rebooted, type ;uzb into the search bar
  2. Connect the device to a PC and copy Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Eject the device and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  4. Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix
  5. This will take your device out of demo mode, rebuild the application registry and clean up unneeded jailbreak files.

Troubleshooting
  • Alternative Demo Mode entry method:
    • Create an empty file named DONT_CHECK_BATTERY at the root of the Kindle USB storage
    • Activate demo mode by typing ;demo into the search bar
    • Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted
  • If you need to reset your device whilst in Demo Mode, enter ;uzb in the search bar to enable USB storage mode then create an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" at the root of the Kindle storage. Once this has been created, reboot the device.
  • Video demonstration of secret gesture

You should now have a freshly jailbroken Kindle

Okay, so at this part
Create an empty folder at .demo/goodreads. Do not put any files in this folder.
Do you mean I should create a folder named goodreads inside the .demo folder?
Mari123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:15 PM   #873
Mari123
Mari123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Stuck in Wifi Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
AKA CVE-2022-23224, CVE-2022-23225, CVE-2022-23226 - full writeup with technical details to be released after 5.14.3 has been widely rolled out.

Thank you to NiLuJe, yparitcher and darkassassinua for adding KOReader support for PW5, repackaging all of the hacks and testing this jailbreak

This vulnerability is released in good faith and in the hope that other security researchers will utilise the access that it provides to assist Amazon/Lab126 in improving their security posture.

If you're concerned about the security of your device and do not wish to jailbreak, install firmware version 5.14.3 from this link - I've been working with Amazon to create a fix and can confirm that this version has been hardened against this vulnerability.

Additional thanks to everyone at Amazon/Lab126 who contributed towards this .

Finally, I encourage Amazon/Lab126 to provide a method of unlocking their devices that doesn't involve the need of a 0-day, both for security researchers and for technical users who are interested in modifying their devices. We know that your employees lurk here, use tools that we've created internally and that our ideas have been implemented by you more than once, so help us help you - I promise that we don't bite

Device Compatibility
Spoiler:

This jailbreak is compatible with Kindle devices running the following firmware versions:

KT3, KT4, KOA1, KOA2, KOA3, PW3, PW4, PW5:
5.14.1 (5.14.1.1 on PW5)

KV:

KT2, PW2:

You must use the exploit payload that matches your device/firmware combination exactly.

Download Link
watchthis-jailbreak-r03.zip

Installation
Please ensure that you have read the entirety of the instructions before proceeding.

Setup
  1. Factory reset the device. Make sure to use the "en_GB" or "English (United Kingdom)" locale when setting the language.
  2. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar after performing a factory reset
  3. Reboot the device
  4. Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted.
  5. Skip searching for a demo payload
  6. Select the "standard" demo type
  7. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content. Do not sideload the jailbreak at this stage.
  8. Once the demo is setup, skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
  9. Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
  10. Select the "Sideload Content" option

Jailbreak
  1. Connect the device to a PC and:
  2. Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Copy ${YOUR_DEVICE}-${YOUR_FW_VERSION}.zip to .demo/
  4. Copy demo.json to .demo/
  5. Create an empty folder at .demo/goodreads. Do not put any files in this folder.
  6. Press "Done" at the prompt to install the jailbreak script
  7. Exit the demo menu and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  8. If an application error occurs, hard reboot the device by holding the power button, enter the demo menu again and select Sideload Content -> Done once more without connecting to USB
  9. Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started"
  10. If jailbreaking KT2 or PW2, select the store button instead
  11. The device will reboot
  12. The jailbreak script will run during the next boot

Post Jailbreak
  1. After the device has rebooted, type ;uzb into the search bar
  2. Connect the device to a PC and copy Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Eject the device and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  4. Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix
  5. This will take your device out of demo mode, rebuild the application registry and clean up unneeded jailbreak files.

Troubleshooting
  • Alternative Demo Mode entry method:
    • Create an empty file named DONT_CHECK_BATTERY at the root of the Kindle USB storage
    • Activate demo mode by typing ;demo into the search bar
    • Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted
  • If you need to reset your device whilst in Demo Mode, enter ;uzb in the search bar to enable USB storage mode then create an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" at the root of the Kindle storage. Once this has been created, reboot the device.
  • Video demonstration of secret gesture

You should now have a freshly jailbroken Kindle

Okay, I have the right kindle and firmware. The problem is, when I'm jailbreaking, there is this problem of pressing store, and something popping up that Wifi is locked instead of rebooting. I succeeded in entering demo, sideloading. I made a folder named '.demo'(without the ''), and added the right zip file and the .json file. Afterwards, I made a folder named 'goodreads'(without the ''). I ejected kindle, pressed done, entered ;dsts into the search bar and pressed the store. Nothing happened except a wifi locked pop up. What should I do?
Mari123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:43 AM   #874
oldman20
oldman20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I success the first time, but now I trying again, at step "Update Your Kindle" is grayout! How can pass demo mode?
oldman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:55 AM   #875
oldman20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I would suggest that you install the rename OTA binaries KUAL extension and use it to disable "automatic" updates before you exit airplane mode. At present firmware updates can be handled by the JB, but there is no guarantee that will continue in the future. With the KUAL extension installed you can manually control when and which firmware updates are applied.

Dave
is it still working properly in 5.14.2? How to use it? thank! like OTA Block?
Old 01-22-2023, 05:29 AM   #876
oldman20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Get the rename OTA binaries extension for KUAL and use it to prevent an upgrade without your action.

Dave
how to use it? pls
Old 01-22-2023, 05:36 AM   #877
oldman20

Which fine should install in Kindle OA2? Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.29_install.bin ỏr Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.29_install.bin
Old 01-29-2023, 04:58 AM   #878
JackProject
JackProject began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Hello,

I have a KT2, i managed to JB it, but i want to use calibre to create collections from my PC, for easier management, but for the life of me i cannot understand the instructions

I think i need to install Librarian Sync:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245691

But i need to install some additional stuff, but thats where i get stuck

Anyone willing to help?
I see i need to install first MKK:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233932

But i cannot find the update file for my KT2.
JackProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #879
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
@katadelos Thank you so much

My KV is on 5.13.6, waited a while for this. I'd pretty much given up.

Finally got KOReader on the Kindle.

Last edited by vurt; 01-29-2023 at 11:53 AM.
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:10 AM   #880
tucker13234
tucker13234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Is there any way to downgrade OS on 5.14.3.0.1 PW3?

I don't even care about the jailbreak, I just genuinely despise new UI. Is there a factory reset to original firmware?
tucker13234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #881
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker13234 View Post
Is there any way to downgrade OS on 5.14.3.0.1 PW3?
Yes, via jailbreak with, say, popcorn:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345655
Then install hotfix, download and install desired firmware,, then reapply hotfix because you never know when you might need jailbreak again. You proably then want to install KUAL and the rename ota binaries extension to prevent another update.

Quote:
I don't even care about the jailbreak, I just genuinely despise new UI. Is there a factory reset to original firmware?
No.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 AM   #882
expeditionunknow
expeditionunknow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
does jailbreaking a kindle prevents auto update?

Last edited by expeditionunknow; 01-31-2023 at 12:19 AM.
expeditionunknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:35 AM   #883
Name28
Enthusiast
Name28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo_glo, Kobo_glo_HD
Hello,

I have PW3, firmware version 5.13.7. Yesterday I did jailbreak to my paperwhite, installed Koreader, etc. Thank you, all works great so far.
I have some questions:
1. I have also installed "Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin" from this topic. Does this mean my jailbreak survives if autoupdate occurs? Or should I install some other hotfixes? I mean, even after update I would be able to jailbreak it again.
2. Is there any way to block autoupdates? I usually set Autopilot mode on, but when I need to copy new books or articles, I turn wi-fi on. I plan to use both Koreader and native app, if it is important.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Name28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:06 AM   #884
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionunknow View Post
does jailbreaking a kindle prevents auto update?
No. There are only two ways with the current firmware to prevent this:

1) keep the kindle in airplane mode, or never configure WiFi, and side load

2) Install KUAL and the renameotabinaries extension and use it

Keep in mind that 2 above is true at the current firmware level. That might change in the future, so be cautious about upgrading firmware.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #885
tucker13234
tucker13234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it.
tucker13234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak