Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
dr.network
dr.network began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 - G090
Jailbroken PW3 updated to 5.9.6.1, how to restore JB?

Hello,

I usually try to find my way through reading the posts. But this time I can't get it to work . I hope somebody can give me a step-by-step process, because the posts are all over the place with one hotfix there and another there, sometimes you guys speak a language I don't get, because I'm not that deep into the stuff, a stupid end user, so to speak

My situation looks like this:

I have successfully jailbroken my PW3 (judging by the file dates on the kindle in march 2016). Some, already really long, time ago I used Wi-Fi not remembering that the stupid Kindle will upgrade when I'm sleeping .

It upgraded to 5.9.6.1, I hadn't had the nerves and time to upgrade the JB. I understood from the posts that you need a booklet version of KUAL. I have downloaded the KUAL-v2.7.zip. There is a file in it called Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin I have put it inside the folder mrpackages and tried to run ";log mrpi". But nothing happened.

The bridge.conf says in the header:
Code:
version "$Id: bridge.conf 11202 2014-11-30 13:41:04Z NiLuJe $"
And the bridge.sh:
Code:
# $Id: bridge.sh 12841 2016-02-06 23:13:17Z NiLuJe $

MR Installer
has the version 1.6.

I don't remember which JB I have used.

How to get back, so I can use Koreader again.

Cheers!

[Note]
It would be nice, if someone knowledgeable would write tutorials that explain the most cases, also a guide with all the tips that you only get by browsing and reading through old threads. "ALWAYS REMOVE THE USB CABLE BEFORE RESTARTING", "DON'T USE WIFI" etc. I stumpled upon a lot of these, but after the JB never thought again about them.

Last edited by dr.network; 10-23-2018 at 11:03 AM.
dr.network is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
dr.network

Ok, maybe I gave up to fast. I've got further, I used the file Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin and started the update process. It went successfully, now when I try to ";log mrpi" it says "MRPI is not installed".

Ok, seems as if the Mrpi was updated or so but has the same version 1.6. I just had to unpack the MRInstaller folder to the extensions folder and ";log mrpi" worked. It used the Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin inside the mrpackages folder and restarted the kindle with a new KUAL file appearing as a book. Sorry, for using the forum as a rubber duck, but for fellow Googlers this is how I've done it. The old Koreader installation worked, but maybe I should update it?

Can somebody tell me what I could do, shouldn't do in his opinion? Upgrade to a newer kindle version or keep your hands away from the enable WiFi button?

Last edited by dr.network; 10-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ah, maybe follow the directions in the JB thread to install the OTA update blocking directory name?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
dr.network

Ah, thank you! Is the "update.bin.tmp.partial"-hack uptodate? Just a moment ago I used Wi-Fi and immediately a 220MB file named "update-3330440020-1ffce165-bc20-4fb0-941c-6432435a15ae.bin" appeared. So, !
Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.network View Post
Ah, thank you! Is the "update.bin.tmp.partial"-hack uptodate? Just a moment ago I used Wi-Fi and immediately a 220MB file named "update-3330440020-1ffce165-bc20-4fb0-941c-6432435a15ae.bin" appeared. So, !
Was that used as a directory name (correct) or as a file name (wrong)?

If it was a directory name, in the topmost level of visible USB storage (without any .txt extension), then I guess that Lab126 finally was able to over ride it.

Just for the info - -
What firmware version and what device is it that the blocker did not work.
PS: Delete that update-*.bin as soon as you can.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
dr.network

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was that used as a directory name (correct) or as a file name (wrong)?

If it was a directory name, in the topmost level of visible USB storage (without any .txt extension), then I guess that Lab126 finally was able to over ride it.

Just for the info - -
What firmware version and what device is it that the blocker did not work.
PS: Delete that update-*.bin as soon as you can.
I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. It appeared before I created the folder, I saw the file in the moment I wanted to create the folder-hack.